Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most every gun that I have ever had has always "preferred" a certain bullet weight. They just shot more accurate with one weight bullet over another.

Has anyone ever noticed this with your 1911??

If so, which bullet weight?

Thanks, Kev

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
My PT-145 definately likes 185 gr bullets. The PT1911 just seems to eat them all and spit them into a tight group. Different bullets will move the impact around... adjusting them for sight impacts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cimarron said:
My PT-145 definately likes 185 gr bullets. The PT1911 just seems to eat them all and spit them into a tight group. Different bullets will move the impact around... adjusting them for sight impacts.
Hmmmm, my PT1911 doesn't group that well. I have only fired 230 grain FMJ's though, 2 different brands. I am hoping that 185's or 200's will shrink the groups. I can shoot very tight groups with all my other guns including a Colt 1911 A1, but this Taurus throws a 4" group at 15 yards. Hoping the other bullet weights will come closer to 2" at that close distance.

Thanks, Kev

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Mine loves 230 gr. ball so that's what it gets the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mr MainColt is right. ALL GUNS ( long or hand) have a particular prefference.

Bullet weight and brand can make a difference in grouping size and/or point of impact. I have even had some old name brands ( like Federal ) that used to be dirty loads but excellent in my 357 and 44 wheelguns change to being larger groupers and shooting low right when they changed the "formulation" some years back.

It can get expensice, especially in the 20 count boxes of personal protection loads, but it is worth the expense and bother if you are serious about a good close grouping point of impact carry or "contest" round.

Just because Robby Leatham gets sub one inch groups with brand x and bullet weight X- you may get 2 inch groups shooting low left. Each gun- EVEN IF THE SAME MANUFACUTUROR and perhaps consecutive serial numbers has a "personal load" it loves to eat best.

Brizz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brizzo said:
Mr MainColt is right. ALL GUNS ( long or hand) have a particular prefference.

Bullet weight and brand can make a difference in grouping size and/or point of impact. I have even had some old name brands ( like Federal ) that used to be dirty loads but excellent in my 357 and 44 wheelguns change to being larger groupers and shooting low right when they changed the "formulation" some years back.

It can get expensice, especially in the 20 count boxes of personal protection loads, but it is worth the expense and bother if you are serious about a good close grouping point of impact carry or "contest" round.

Just because Robby Leatham gets sub one inch groups with brand x and bullet weight X- you may get 2 inch groups shooting low left. Each gun- EVEN IF THE SAME MANUFACUTUROR and perhaps consecutive serial numbers has a "personal load" it loves to eat best.

Brizz
I agree, and not only does this gun shoot big groups with 230 grain FMJ's, it also shoots 3" low/right.

Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts