Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does this make sense? 9mm OSS Repair - Apparently not!!!

Just got my 9mm OSS back from its third trip to Miami for light strike/fail to fire problems in double action mode. The first time, the work order said "PART DAMAGED: REPLACED" (don't know what part). The second time it said "MISFIRE-Firing pin spring broken: REPLACED". This time it said "MISFIRE-Firing pin sticks out shortly:ADJUSTED". No I didn't type it wrong, but I assume it means that the firing pin wasn't extending far enough to make good contact. I haven't made it to the range yet but does this adjustment note make sense to those who have more knowledge of the workings of the firing pin system? Thanks.

Monday I made it to the range - what a madhouse! Every land was full, including a group next to me shooting a .50 cal Desert Eagle and someone down the line firing 12 gauge slugs. Everyone apparently was eager to try out their Christmas presents, so I didn't stay long. The good news was that I had no mis-fire's with 10 rounds of Sellier and Belliot and none with 30 rounds of my re-loads when firing double action. Since I'd never had that good a string before, maybe it is fixed this time. I think I'll buy a box of WWB and if that shoots with no mis-fires I'll call it good. Also maybe some reloads with CCI primers.

Back to the range today, stopping on the way to buy a box of WWB. Also loaded up 20 rounds using CCI primers instead of Federal. Had 4 out of 20 rounds misfire with the WWB, three fired on restrike, the fouth I had to cock and fire SA. Same numbers with the CCI primers. Now I have to decide if I want to go through the hassle of another trip to Miami or just accept that I have to be very selective with ammo if I want to rely on the gun in the decocked condition.

Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
How new was it when you started having trouble?? Seems like it could still be breaking in. If it seems OK, but picky, I'd suggest sticking with what works for now, until you get over 500 rounds through it. IMO, YMMV. :D Good luck with that, and keeps us posted.

·
Registered
337 Posts
After tearing down and cleaning the striker in both of my Millenniums, I have a better feel for what this might be. I had my new out of the box OSS .45 break first time out with the firing pin (striker) sticking out of the pin hole with every shot. It would not return the striker. I could fix it myself now (ball point pen spring???) as I now know it was a broken return spring. On your's It sounds like the retained striker spring assembly was damaged or broken and had to be replaced. I hope they cleaned out the striker channel. But, maybe the firing pin on the end of the striker was bent??? This would resist the forward momentum of said striker and they straightened it (Adjusted)? This entire assembly is so simple. There is also a striker block that must be pushed in (up) that is full of gunk. I did not clean out mine but used light oil to loosen it up (Rem oil) I would recommend to any OSS owners who are mechanical to tear into their's just to clean it, if not to better understand how it works.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Zylo, the gun now has about 1100 rounds down range. I waited until I had 200+ rounds (and multiple cleanings, Gun Blaster down the firing pin hole, Rem Oil and other lubes tried) before I concluded that it needed to go back the first time. I was getting DA failures more than 1/2 the time. After 600+ rounds total, I still got over 25% failures across a mix of ammo brands, so it went for trip number 2. Repeating the same testing when it returned, I got about 20% failures. I decided to continue hoping that it would break in and the failure rate would decrease, and when after over 1000 rounds it was still having misfires with some brands of ammo I decided to try Miami again. In my pre-log write up and on the phone with CS I stressed my frustration and need for them to stop treating symptoms and get to the root of the problem. I had the gun back in 7 days (and they quarantine them for 2+ days before even looking at them) with a note that they did an "adjustment".

Fluidpower, When I got the gun, I did the best cleaning job I could, using almost a whole can of gun blaster even though there wasn't that much gunk visible. I only did the basic disassembly when I did this, not trying to disassemble the slide mechanisms. I've repeated that cleaning several times, and I clean the gun after every range trip. I've considered tearing it down further but feared I'd cause more damage, plus I expect the gun to at least work they way it is supposed to before I start playing with it. I won't disagree that if we had more information their repair efforts might make sense, but they still haven't fixed the root problem. At this point, I don't know if they can, at least not without replacement of some major components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts