Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
21,923 Posts
The mini cooper is a BMW. The original Indian and Triumph are in name only. They have NO connection to the original companies and the products' designs, fortunately, bare no similarity to the originals. The previous brand trademark owners just sold the trademarks to the new owners. Indian even marketed S&S engined bikes as Indian until they got their own designs, as I've read anyway.
Mini is owned by BMW, uses their engines, but have important design differences too. The revised Minis were designed in the UK. Triumph actually never completely stopped production; it was a mere trickle of bikes for a while, but it never completely stopped. Yes, the new bikes (even the Bonneville) are clean sheet designs. But I'd say "no similarity to the originals" is an overstatement, as far as the Bonneville line is concerned. And lots of them (mine included) are made in the UK.

As for Indian, it died completely. No question. And I personally have no respect for anything with an Indian badge and a Harley clone engine. None whatsoever. But Polaris bought the rights, did a clean sheet design that screams Indian from the crankshaft up, and they nailed it. Everything Polaris has sold under the Indian name has had a clean sheet engine design. But it's actually some impressive engineering. Any motorcyclist waking up from a 70 year nap would take one look at the engine and say "that's an Indian." And the Thunderstroke meets all the emissions regs and other requirements while simply being air/oil cooled. And it doesn't have to be hotted up to be worth riding. Mine is bone stock in engine terms; not so much as a K&K filter, and it's a great ride.

Nokomis 001.jpg

So of these three brands, Triumph is probably the most relevant to this discussion. They were in bankruptcy (it's the UK, so the probably call it something weird like financial insolvency mumbly pickles), but they kept pushing out a tiny stream of bikes until John Bloor bought the company and brought it roaring back. And I do mean roaring. They have had their failures - competing with the Japanese in four cylinder 600cc sportbikes is a very, very tall order - but they've changed the market for the better in some very real ways. My Daytona can hold it's head up proudly next to any other remotely similar bike, and it's going strong at almost 69,000 miles.

Attachments

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
I read somewhere that it turns out the Navajo Nation doesn't have the proper licensing to sell and all that Federal junk. I suppose they could sell inside their boundaries but not outside so they took a step back. That's kind of what I got from it anyway.

OK, now do we really think selling a firearm (and associated aces) to a Native American tribe a good idea after the way the white man has treated them over the years??--Just saying!
Kind of like giving matches away at a Arson Convention!
I think we should ask General Custer how he feels about this!

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
You know the indians can't have guns....the govt took care of that hundreds of years ago. :eek:
GEEEEZZ!
I just hope they don't aquire a Liquor company after they get Remington, thats what I worry about.
Bunch of drunk Indians with firearms, we think the big Democratic cities have problems now!

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
I still think it was a darn shame that they had to gobble up H&R/NEF only to shut them down.
Lets not for get Para / Bushmaster either, Remlin has gobbled up quite a few small companies as well, anything they thought they could turn a buck on and then let them disappear.

Reactions: BigBlue and jtg452

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
So, Indian and Triumph are like Henry Arms!

The only thing historical about Henry Arms is the name.
cough-cough-cough Springfield Armory..

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
Well, I never said the modern Triumph wasn't an improvement, HUGE improvement. They got smart and copied reliable Japanese designs, like horizontal split cases with a center bearing crankshaft, for instance, to eliminate crank flex and keep it from dripping on the floor of the showroom. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

·
Administrator
35,112 Posts
Colt has filed bankruptcy before.

Chrysler has filed bankruptcy.

Gibson has filed bankruptcy.

It definitely doesn't mean the absolute end. And I say that as someone who has a 2004 Triumph, a 2018 Indian, and a pair of Mini Coopers... :rolleyes:
Don't forget Coonan and Star. Neither company has had much luck in their post-bankruptcy world though.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
The motorcycle brands mentioned bring up a good point. Anyone who does buy Remington at this point will get some assets and inventory, but mostly they will be buying brand and goodwill.

Sure others made and/or imported mopeds and small bikes but the cruisers we tend to think of as "Indians" (think the Chief, Scout etc) were absent from any Indian branding from the early '50's until the late 90's. None of those companies did particularly well either. The brand didn't fit the product. It wasn't until 1999 that someone started making "real" Indians again. (That attempt went bankrupt too). But they lead the way for a viable stand alone motorcycle company targeting the cruiser market. Which the Indian Motorcycle company (2006-2011) did.

Indian's new owner, Polaris, who wanted a larger share of the powersports market in the US. So they bought the Indian brand name, product lines, and assets. Is an Indian Scout from say 1920 the same as one from 2020? Not even close. Even the original Scout was replaced by the 101 in the late '20's. But they all aimed to be light, agile fast bikes compared to their contemporary competitors, generally the cruiser even the modern standard segment to a degree.

(Full disclosure, I'm leaning towards a naked bike for my next purchase, I'm eyeing a Kawi Z900 or Honda CB650R, but the Scout keeps coming to mind as well :D )

Whoever buys Remington needs to look at the Indian case study and take things back to the basics, at least to start.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
21,923 Posts
The motorcycle brands mentioned bring up a good point. Anyone who does buy Remington at this point will get some assets and inventory, but mostly they will be buying brand and goodwill.
Goodwill? Given Remington's recent history, will they be buying goodwill, really? :rolleyes:

(Full disclosure, I'm leaning towards a naked bike for my next purchase, I'm eyeing a Kawi Z900 or Honda CB650R, but the Scout keeps coming to mind as well
)
Do NOT click here. Don't do it. Don't. I warned you. And I'm not trying to get revenge for the forum recently forcing me to buy a .32 pistol, no, not at all. That's silly.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Goodwill? Given Remington's recent history, will they be buying goodwill, really? :rolleyes:
The Marketing play would be something like, look at our history, sure we had a rough patch recently, but that was the old guys... Give us s shot. At that point they have to deliver, and fast.

Do NOT click here. Don't do it. Don't. I warned you. And I'm not trying to get revenge for the forum recently forcing me to buy a .32 pistol, no, not at all. That's silly.
Ohh no, I would never have thought that... at all, ever... :D

·
Super Moderator
35,504 Posts
The latest Marlins manufactured were garnering great reviews.

Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
808 Posts
I sold my 1971 650 TR6 a few years ago after 40+ years of ownership and those designed in oil leaks meant it was rust free even in coastal florida. Well except for the front rim that actually rusted through from the inside out....
Well, I never said the modern Triumph wasn't an improvement, HUGE improvement. They got smart and copied reliable Japanese designs, like horizontal split cases with a center bearing crankshaft, for instance, to eliminate crank flex and keep it from dripping on the floor of the showroom. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

·
21,923 Posts
Ohh no, I would never have thought that... at all, ever... :D
Good, good. I mean, I'd never stoop so low as to bring something like this to your attention, much less point out that my Daytona has the same .... well, almost everything including engine, frame, wheels, and has almost 49,000 more miles than that bike with little but routine maintenance.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Good, good. I mean, I'd never stoop so low as to bring something like this to your attention, much less point out that my Daytona has the same .... well, almost everything including engine, frame, wheels, and has almost 49,000 more miles than that bike with little but routine maintenance.
She does look great, and for only 3 grand... :D

If we are talking Triumph... I really do like the Tiger 900 as well https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/adventure/tiger-900/900

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
959 Posts
It will be interesting to have a corporate HQ in a TeePee

AFS

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,504 Posts
New line of rifles called Hogan's Heroes?

·
Registered
36,017 Posts

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
New line of rifles called Hogan's Heroes?
WOW!!
that sounds a lot like a branch of Taurus customer service??
I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing!!
Wonder if Jake has a cousin Schultz???

Reactions: Desperado
21 - 40 of 47 Posts