Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remington announced that its filing for bankruptcy. What exactly does that mean? Are they going out of business entirely? I feel I’ve heard of businesses that file for bankruptcy but continue to exist after the fact, but I always thought bankruptcy meant you were done as a company. If they do go out of business, what does it mean for any Remington firearms in stores? Will they go on sale (assuming any stores currently have any). What about their ammo availability? Hard to believe they are having financial difficulties during the biggest gun sales rush in history.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
How can a company that has to be making money hand over fist from gun sales, ammunition sales, and component sales, be filing bankruptcy? :???: If you're having trouble with keeping yourself afloat in a northern city, then MOVE ! There are plenty of states south of the Mason-Dixon line that would love to have your factory there.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't know. Bad management? Who is controlling the company? Rich liberals have been buying up things to control subvertly ,to "engineer" what they can't do openly. Their evil has no bounds. Liars and deceivers.

·
Premium Member
10,962 Posts
Actually Remington filed bankruptcy because of the Sandy Hook lawsuit. They were able to block it for a few years, but finally lost in court. The Navajo tribe was considering buying Remi and their subsidiary companies, but I haven't heard anymore about that.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
They really haven't done much innovation, and when they did it didn't go so well recently. Add to that debt as well as legal, tax, and environmental costs and I can see why they are going under.

The Navajo Nation even paused a bit. They are still doing due diligence but are saying they need to take a deeper look.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't care that much about Remington but I hope Marlin can recover from being handled by Remington.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
How can a company that has to be making money hand over fist from gun sales, ammunition sales, and component sales, be filing bankruptcy? :???: If you're having trouble with keeping yourself afloat in a northern city, then MOVE ! There are plenty of states south of the Mason-Dixon line that would love to have your factory there.
They were owned by Cerberus. They did the corporate raider thing and ran the place into the ground. There's an article floating around the internet that explains exactly what they did and how.

Basically, they got all the cash out that they could early on and then had Remington borrow more to operate with a reduced manufacturing staff with a LOT of part timers (hence, the drastic drop in QC we've seen in the last couple of years).

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I believe the bankruptcy thing is a Chapter 11 and a company has worked out some sort of reduction or elimination of debt and payments to creditors and can still stay in business. That's my simple understanding of it anyway.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Actually Remington filed bankruptcy because of the Sandy Hook lawsuit. They were able to block it for a few years, but finally lost in court. The Navajo tribe was considering buying Remi and their subsidiary companies, but I haven't heard anymore about that.
I read somewhere that it turns out the Navajo Nation doesn't have the proper licensing to sell and all that Federal junk. I suppose they could sell inside their boundaries but not outside so they took a step back. That's kind of what I got from it anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
I don't care that much about Remington but I hope Marlin can recover from being handled by Remington.
After their initial fiasco of a handover, Remington has actually done a good job with recent Marlin rifles. I still prefer older JM marked Marlins, but I have a few newer ones made last year, a .30-30, .44 mag. and a .444, and they are smooth functioning, accurate rifles. I would hate to see Marlin get pulled under by a failing Remington.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Probably not going to turn out good. If they get sold the buyer will need deep pockets to get back into the black.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The optimist in me wants to say maybe.
The realist in me has seen the writing on the wall with Cerberus control, and says Remington has an EXTREMELY difficult path to solvency.
Then again, there may be a better chance then I think, but it will be difficult at best. The last 5 to 10 years have not been kind to Remington.

Reactions: jtg452

·
21,956 Posts
Remington announced that its filing for bankruptcy. What exactly does that mean? Are they going out of business entirely? I feel I’ve heard of businesses that file for bankruptcy but continue to exist after the fact, but I always thought bankruptcy meant you were done as a company.
Colt has filed bankruptcy before.

Chrysler has filed bankruptcy.

Gibson has filed bankruptcy.

It definitely doesn't mean the absolute end. And I say that as someone who has a 2004 Triumph, a 2018 Indian, and a pair of Mini Coopers... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
35,544 Posts
and I was very attracted to the R-51. ;)

Bankruptcy is re-organization, voiding debt (suppliers, real estate) and escaping contractual obligations and not sure about legal obligation like lawsuit judgments. A judge typically divvies up the assets and valuable properties like the Marlin brand could be sold off to other buyers. Seems to me that the Native American tribe should be able to surmount licensing and other legal hurdles if they are motivated enough.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
You know the indians can't have guns....the govt took care of that hundreds of years ago. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Colt has filed bankruptcy before.

Chrysler has filed bankruptcy.

Gibson has filed bankruptcy.

It definitely doesn't mean the absolute end. And I say that as someone who has a 2004 Triumph, a 2018 Indian, and a pair of Mini Coopers... :rolleyes:
The mini cooper is a BMW. The original Indian and Triumph are in name only. They have NO connection to the original companies and the products' designs, fortunately, bare no similarity to the originals. The previous brand trademark owners just sold the trademarks to the new owners. Indian even marketed S&S engined bikes as Indian until they got their own designs, as I've read anyway.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
493 Posts
Does Remington have a future? I think they do..........they make some of the best shavers I have ever used.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
I still think it was a darn shame that they had to gobble up H&R/NEF only to shut them down.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The mini cooper is a BMW. The original Indian and Triumph are in name only. They have NO connection to the original companies and the products' designs, fortunately, bare no similarity to the originals. The previous brand trademark owners just sold the trademarks to the new owners. Indian even marketed S&S engined bikes as Indian until they got their own designs, as I've read anyway.
So, Indian and Triumph are like Henry Arms!

The only thing historical about Henry Arms is the name.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts