Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in PA. I recently bought some throwing knives just to have fun with in the back yard. My question is, am I allowed to carry these if I wanted to, as a backup to my TCP 380? I have a CWP, not sure if there is a separate one for throwing knives or does my permit cover both?:confused:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah - you need to consult your state laws. No way everyone (anyone?) can address all state concealed carry laws nationwide. Many to cover other types of weapons - true. I have to double check MO laws on occasion just to make sure I'M good in my own state. I do know that many smaller municipal governments have their own separate knife laws and that the issue CAN get sticky once looked into. Good luck and post up results. Try local and state arms forums as well.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I like throwing knives. I'm not good at it. But I'm not too bad either.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Depends on the State, my Iowa license is only good for handguns. No shotgun under my trenchcoat here, also no machetes, I think the blade length limit is 5" but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
21,720 Posts
As far as I know and I am not sure the only State that allows Knives and throwing stars is Kentucky. Its not allowed in TN I just happen to have read their laws as I travel through the State.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine in North Dakota is a cwl for "firearms and dangerous weapons". Thia includes throwing knifes-stars nun-chucks and knifes over 5 inches in length.

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
You need to know what your state considers a concealed weapon and if it's permitted or not. In Texas, a CHL (concealed HANDGUN license) wouldn't cover anything besides a handgun. Some states are very different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kentucky it is a CCDW (Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons) Permit. Covers Bladed weapons, lots of things. Its good advice to check with your state laws.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
A PA CCL doesn't include knives, it only covers firearms. PA blade laws are pretty vague. Apparently, PA has dropped blade length restrictions but there are also local ordinances to consider that may have limits. My locality has a 3 1/2" blade limit by city ordinance. Problem is, the PA code (908, I believe) contains the language "common lawful purpose" as to what is permitted to be carried legally. Basically, if you run down the street waving a butcher knife or a Samurai sword, the cops are probably gonna' give you problems. The only knives really specified as illegal, are ones with the "brass-knuckle" style handles and anything "automatic"...like switchblades. As far as I know, butterflies are still legal.

Throwers would likely not fall under the "common lawful purpose" definitions of most LEOs. I've carried throwers for most of my life but I carry them with purpose and keep them concealed, they're not jewelry. I carry them as a backup because I'm familiar and comfortable with handling them, not because I'm naive enough to think they'd ever be useful as a "thrower" in a SD scenario. At the most widely accepted SD range (7yds or less), a good throw is unlikely under SD circumstances and at best, you're throwing away your weapon and possibly just adding it to the BG's arsenal. I also doubt even a close range throw would be seen as defensive by most LEOs and courts. Throwing is basically reserved for sport or assasination, any self defense with a blade had better be well within arms' reach. IMHO, throwers are technically illegal, according to the PA Code's definition of "common lawful purpose" but if you carry them responsibly and concealed, you shouldn't encounter any problems. Still, be aware of your local ordinances and pray you never need to draw your blade.

Reactions: ajaxakita

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Michigan CPL ( concealed pistol license ) covers handguns only.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A PA CCL doesn't include knives, it only covers firearms. PA blade laws are pretty vague. Apparently, PA has dropped blade length restrictions but there are also local ordinances to consider that may have limits. My locality has a 3 1/2" blade limit by city ordinance. Problem is, the PA code (908, I believe) contains the language "common lawful purpose" as to what is permitted to be carried legally. Basically, if you run down the street waving a butcher knife or a Samurai sword, the cops are probably gonna' give you problems. The only knives really specified as illegal, are ones with the "brass-knuckle" style handles and anything "automatic"...like switchblades. As far as I know, butterflies are still legal.

Throwers would likely not fall under the "common lawful purpose" definitions of most LEOs. I've carried throwers for most of my life but I carry them with purpose and keep them concealed, they're not jewelry. I carry them as a backup because I'm familiar and comfortable with handling them, not because I'm naive enough to think they'd ever be useful as a "thrower" in a SD scenario. At the most widely accepted SD range (7yds or less), a good throw is unlikely under SD circumstances and at best, you're throwing away your weapon and possibly just adding it to the BG's arsenal. I also doubt even a close range throw would be seen as defensive by most LEOs and courts. Throwing is basically reserved for sport or assasination, any self defense with a blade had better be well within arms' reach. IMHO, throwers are technically illegal, according to the PA Code's definition of "common lawful purpose" but if you carry them responsibly and concealed, you shouldn't encounter any problems. Still, be aware of your local ordinances and pray you never need to draw your blade.​
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Georgia specifically exempts knives from the CCW. In Georgia, the carry of any "offensive knife" is forbidden. What constitutes an "offensive knife", though, seems a but murky. There are plenty 4" plus folders attached to pants around here, many of them off -duty LEOs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
As far as I know and I am not sure the only State that allows Knives and throwing stars is Kentucky. Its not allowed in TN I just happen to have read their laws as I travel through the State.
You are correct. The KY permit is a CDW (concealed deadly weapon) permit. It includes slapjacks, chucks, stars, just about anything. When I was picking up my permit I asked the Police officer if a switchblade was covered, He asked me if a switchblade is a deadly weapon, I said Yes then he said, "Well there you go,"
I usually carry a Gerber 06 drop point, half serrated.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah Ky is only one I know of and even there a sword strapped over the back would bring att.
In Tn it only covers handguns.Knife would have to be of legal blade size and configuration.
Meaning a boy scout knife will pass.While the average buck or whatever wont go challenged it would or could if used in a defense mode.
Many laws are not enforced such as riding 4 wheelers on pavement done all the time even children -and should not be so just not enforced.Golf carts go back and forth from resorts to gas stations stores -no insurance no plates.
But carry a throwing knife lol-its a pistol only permit.And while some things are legal wont go unchallenged your permit is good for even state parks try doing an open carry.
The sign at paris landing marina does not apply to legal ccw carriers.And the permit is good for cc or open.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If concealed firearm laws are a mess, then laws for bladed weapons are an unmitigated disaster. The fact is that there is no one answer, not even from city to city, much less county to county or state to state. This link may be of some help to you, but your best bet is to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, i.e. established public law in whichever localities that are relevant to you.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
I live in PA. I recently bought some throwing knives just to have fun with in the back yard. Am I allowed to carry these if I wanted to, as a backup to my TCP 380?...
Now if you'd said "Ninja Throwing Stars" I'd have said put down the Capt. Crunch and go to your room! :icon_ lala:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts