Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the PT25? And thoughts on the gun. I have the PT22 wondering if the platform is similar and has good reliability.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have both the 25PLY and PT25 and they are good firearms. The difference in them and the PT22 is a plastic replaceable buffer insert that is inside the slide. This is a recoil absorbing device and I have needed to be replace mine with either pistol about every 250 rounds. I do shoot hot reloads so factory ammo will go a bit further. They are a $1 each from TaurusUSA.

·
32,530 Posts
The bad news is that the PLY-22 is no longer an item in the Taurus 2015 catalog!!! :'(

The good news is that the PT-25 and PLY model are available.

PT-25s are fine guns. So are the PLYs.

25 ACP Stopping Power, all bullet weights

Brand Bullet Shootings One Shot Stops Percent Diameter Penetration Notes
Winchester Expanding Point 204 55 27% 0.3" 8.9"
Winchester FMJ 2804 673 24% 0.25" 10.4"
Remington FMJ 2221 511 23% 0.25" 10.9" Note that there is plenty of penetration.

While these are older stats from 25 ACP Stopping Power , the 25 ACP has given a good account of itself over the decades. I'm not going into the caliber wars here. The first rule is to have a gun and the PT series cover that quite well. :)

While the bigger calibers have merits the .25 ACP has been defending people for decades. So have the .22lrf Taurus PTs and others of their ilk.

In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies and GunBot 17hmr rimfire ammo are what I use to find ammo for my Taurus PT-22s and PLY. The same can be done with the .25ACP.

My Taurus PT rimfires have been used for 'go to the local stop and rob store for items' or for answering the door at o'dark thirty at night. The PT-22, or in your case, the PT-25 can be hidden discretely. The gun is carried with a spare magazine when out and about. Just a personal choice.

I've also used the PT rimfire pistols as a backup to larger gun as well for CCW carry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really good information thank you. I really like the PT-22 I need to check that buffer now.

·
22,296 Posts
Lots of people feel the big advantage of the 25ACP over 22LR is reliability; centerfire replaced rimfire for a reason.

·
Banned
824 Posts
I had nothing but issues with my pt25. the frame would beat itself so badly that you couldnt open or close the barrel. taurus eventually replaced it and I sold it quickly. this was with factory ammo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did have one. A very nice little gun it was too and fun to shoot (when ammo was affordable). But due to the small size of the gun and thanks to nerve damage in my hands I was unable to rack the slide. While it did have a tip up barrel I like to be able to rack as well.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Lots of people feel the big advantage of the 25ACP over 22LR is reliability; centerfire replaced rimfire for a reason.
This is one of the negative aspects of the design, manipulating the slide. I still preach manipulating the slide to clear malfunctions especially if you intend to carry this handgun for defense. It is a very nasty habit to automatically flip the barrel for everything on this pistol. Flipping the barrel with a Type III malfunction - a double feed stoppage, will usually result in the slide departing the frame. Not good!

I had nothing but issues with my pt25. the frame would beat itself so badly that you couldnt open or close the barrel. taurus eventually replaced it and I sold it quickly. this was with factory ammo.
This will happen if you do not replace the plastic insert in the frame on a routine basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts