Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone carried into a Doc's office and had an incident where they had to remove the shirt or concealment clothing? I was there today, wasn't carrying, and thought of this while I was sitting in the waiting room.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was in the waiting lobby and remembered, they were looking for me when i re-entered from dissarming and asked what i was doing. i told them and realized by their response that i definately did the right thing. At my chiropractors i intentionally did carry in, as i know much of his clients are law enforcement, and i think he has a carry permit. he made no big deal out of it sitting with my glasses on his corner stand, and commented that it was the first taurus to pass through clearly indicating that others had done the same.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I haven't carried at a Doc's office but have at the Dentist recently. What I've heard others have done is to have your carry gun(s) in your outer garment and when you go into the room it is hung on a hook (or laid down nice, etc). This was for a check-up FYI.

Love the chiropractors comment by the way!

Steelheart

·
Registered
299 Posts
Iowa doesn't prohibit carry in a hospital by law, but many states do. Would a clinic fall into this catagory? Some of the major clinics around here are posted "no firearms."

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question. In TX, hospitals are prohibited by law, then there is an amendmant later on that says you can carry in said prohibited places only if they are not posted with a 30.06 sign, which is the legal sign for TX which means you can't carry. Simply posting no firearms is not suffecient.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Dentist has a CPL so no problem there as for the Doc's office I have a nice denim barn coat with a big pocket, 605 goes in there and it gets hung on the hook in the exam room no one knows so no problem.

·
32,573 Posts
Just for giggles. Around here pockets on any coats get gone through by theives in this area on a regular basis. Even in busy waiting rooms,busy restaurants, busy stores, and many other public places. I seriously want the weapon under direct control at all times. Goes the same for the ladies who carry guns in purses or other off body methods of carry. Just something to consider. Not slamming a choices. Certain factors do have to be taken into consideration.

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be afraid of that as well, especially in waiting rooms and what not. I could see if hanging it on the hook IN the exam room wouldn't create a problem like that since it's just you and the doc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess my post was misunderstood about hanging the coat on the hook, it is in the actual exam room I was talking about where I'm less than 4 ft from it and never out of visual, I would never leave it in the waiting room and let it get out of my control.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Frostyeyes, you're thinking the same way I was. I just left out one word that would have helped immensely,: exam room.

Steelheart

·
32,573 Posts
Thanks for enlightening me on that. I didn't think you folks would just walk away and leave it unguarded. This was just clarification for others new to all this. We have intelligent folk here who understood that. Can't speak as to the mind of a minute portion of the visitors."Hey, I saw it on the Net so it must be OK." ;D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah guys I have a tendency to do that , I have been carrying since the 70's and whats normal thought process for me may not be taken the same way by someone new. In Mi. it depends on where your Dr. practices if it's a private office it's OK but if part of a hospital type clinic you maybe in violation, PLEASE CHECK YOUR LAWS and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had some blood work done and a physical a few months ago and my doctor knows me and that I carry so when I went into the room and he said to take off my shirt and he saw the weapon and said make sure that doesnt hit the ground when you drop'em, so I just took it off my belt and placed it on the table, then he said drop'em and prceeded to .......... well you guys have a had a physical Im sure, he should have warmed his hands damnit :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
went to a new doctors the other day. She had me lift my shirt so she could hear my breathing. i carry a revolver IWB. She never mentioned it, and I didnt mention it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We're way too timid. We should act like we're surprised they are NOT carrying.

tman

·
Registered
178 Posts
Recently, I went to my doctor to get lab results, from blood workup, he had ordered about a two weeks ago. The Dr. called me into his office and we were discussing my cholestoral reading. I was carrying my PT-145 in a Tucker Heritage IWB holster and had forgotten to take it off. The doctor wanted to check my heart & lungs so I pulled off my cover shirt and never thought about my IWB holster & gun. The doctor never missed a beat of the examination, but commented that he is sure glad that he did not weigh me. I asked why and he said "from what I see, you have gained a few pounds, since I last saw you". I am sure the puzzled look on my face prompted him to point at my gun. I smiled and said "I am glad I have the right to carry concealed legally" he said..."so am I" and lifted up his exam coat to show me his XD9 SC. I shook his hand and left without anything else being said.

tex

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
:clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb:

After that I would never change doctors!

Steelheart

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't either. It's one of those that can't be planned, tho.
Tman: You commented that we are way too timid. With all due respect, I disagree. As has been pointed out, in some places (thankfully not here in IN), carrying to a doc's office is a crime. Further, if you're OCing, that's different, but if you're CCW, "concealed means concealed!" If anyone finds out I carry a weapon, it's because they've seen it, meaning I didn't do a good job of covering it or meaning I've had to draw it. Either choice is a Bad ThingTM that I try very hard to prevent.
I don't know about my doc, but I would not imagine him to carry. I'd be pleasantly surprised if so, but why freak out the sheep?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Michael,
I didn't mean to imply that we should violate the law. I was merely commenting that we tend to worry too much about what the other person might think. What they think is ultimately not my problem but rather theirs and theirs alone.

In some respects it would be like wearing a fur coat and then worrying about what the PETA people think.

tman

1 - 20 of 28 Posts