Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and another

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not use the built in security system on my home defense revolver.

If I did own multiple Taurus firearms I would use it on the ones that weren't marked for home defense.

I do keep all my other firearms locked in a safe and then locked some other way.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
nope, but then again i dont use trigger locks either.

my pt92 it's impossible cause it has a rubber backstrap cover i can't lock it even if i wanted to unless i cut a hole in it, which i have no intention of doing..

with that said i am looking for a milpro for carry and i can see the lock becoming useful on that for situations i need to leave it in the car or something it will add a little extra security.

i do wish the internal lock was optional though.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
joe sixpack said:
nope, but then again i dont use trigger locks either.

my pt92 it's impossible cause it has a rubber backstrap cover i can't lock it even if i wanted to unless i cut a hole in it, which i have no intention of doing..

with that said i am looking for a milpro for carry and i can see the lock becoming useful on that for situations i need to leave it in the car or something it will add a little extra security.

i do wish the internal lock was optional though.
with the crime around here and everywhere, there will be no firearms left in any car, period. all i hear anymore is guns stolen out of cars.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jonyrotten said:
with the crime around here and everywhere, there will be no firearms left in any car, period. all i hear anymore is guns stolen out of cars.
i guess i should clear up im not planing on leaving it over night but in ohio there are some buildings you can't carry in.. also if a home owner or business puts up a no guns sign i can't carry in there.. against the law.

that leaves only 5 options.. 1. dont enter (which will sometimes be impossible to avoid), 2. go home, drop gun off, then come back, 3. enter anyway and break the law (which i wont knowingly do), 4. dont carry at all, 5. lock the gun up in the car while inside.

chances are if my car is broken into while im inside some where it wont be specifically to get my gun, but there are no guarantees in life.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
joe sixpack said:
i guess i should clear up im not planing on leaving it over night but in ohio there are some buildings you can't carry in.. also if a home owner or business puts up a no guns sign i can't carry in there.. against the law.

that leaves only 5 options.. 1. dont enter (which will sometimes be impossible to avoid), 2. go home, drop gun off, then come back, 3. enter anyway and break the law (which i wont knowingly do), 4. dont carry at all, 5. lock the gun up in the car while inside.

chances are if my car is broken into while im inside some where it wont be specifically to get my gun, but there are no guarantees in life.
you don't live around here in the big city, car break ins are like breathing air, it happens every minute. the gangs and criminals have pretty much taken over in the big cities here and i will not leave a gun anywhere out of my control. i won't go in or do business with anybody if they dont allow CC. that's how we "vote with our feet" we don't shop there. it's always my option to "not go there"

EDIT: just to clarify, i don't live in "the big city" still, did up until 1 year ago, but i have to go there very often because i still have people living in that mess. i got out, but not all my family has been lucky enough to.

·
Administrator
39,691 Posts
Never use 'em. Tried 'em the day I bought 'em, just to see if they worked.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Just like Smoke, I tried them in each gun, when I bought them. Put the keys all in the same case that my PT111 came with and stored that in basement. Kids at house, all handguns locked in a lock box! No permanent kids here, so one in my pocket at all times.

·
32,528 Posts
Don't have to worry about my kids. They're adults who own guns and have common sense safety wise.

Know the friends of the kids and relatives who visit are another whole different ball of wax. Young and old love to pry into things and places when no one is watching. So the locks are used even while in the gun locker where is where they are stored at all times if company is coming.

Sometimes the defense gun is on my person while in the house or in the same room with me and out of direct sight. At night the gun is by the bed, but in such a way an intruder will not see it without a thorough search. Access to me is just a simple reach by the bed yet harder to an intruder to see.

Don't believe in keeping the gun on the nightstand or in it. There are other ways to do this.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't use them. I don't have kids either and when I do I still won't use them. Every gun I own is locked up except my carry gun and that is usually on me.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
I don't use them. I don't have kids either and when I do I still won't use them. Every gun I own is locked up except my carry gun and that is usually on me.
+1 ! All of my other guns are locked up very nicely in a Gun Safe.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
When I was carrying my pt92 I used the lock whenever I had to disarm & leave it in the car. Mostly when I visited my son at school for basketball games/practice or when I picked up or dropped off my daughter at daycare. In Kentucky it is illegal to carry in those places. I would lock the gun & place it in the glove box.

Since buying my 24/7 I don't lock it as often. Mainly because you cannot lock it down when the weapon is cocked. And with a round in the chamber it is always cocked. The only way to lock it is to unload it, dry fire and then lock it. I worry about someone seeing me disarming my weapon and going crazy because they think I am there to become famous. So, I just put it in the glove box or under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jonyrotten said:
you don't live around here in the big city, car break ins are like breathing air, it happens every minute. the gangs and criminals have pretty much taken over in the big cities here and i will not leave a gun anywhere out of my control. i won't go in or do business with anybody if they dont allow CC. that's how we "vote with our feet" we don't shop there. it's always my option to "not go there"
well i DO live outside downtown know how many times my cars been broken into? never.. it DOES happen but it DOES NOT happen as often as you say.. at least not where i live, but you can't guarantee anything, stuff happens.

some buildings i CAN NOT carry in, day cares, bars (even restaurants that sell alcohol), just about every government building, PD's, post office, (edit: almost forgot churches also).

there are times when you have to make unscheduled stops to a place that is a NO GUN zone.. are you gonna drive back home and lock your gun up? hmm? no the risk/reward is worth leaving the gun in the car.. obviously we're not gonna leave it on the seat but must have a lot of time and (or) money to beable to drive back home and then come back.

if someones breaking into your car it's for 2 reasons 1. to steel something you left laying visible.. laptops, dvd's, your radio.. or 2. steel the whole car for either crime, joy ride, or strip it for parts..

you can avoid a lot of break ins by simply keeping valuables out of view.

Doctor_Venkman said:
Since buying my 24/7 I don't lock it as often. Mainly because you cannot lock it down when the weapon is cocked. And with a round in the chamber it is always cocked. The only way to lock it is to unload it, dry fire and then lock it.
oh that sucks, i assume the milpro is the same then? i guess i wont beable to use the lock on it like i was thinking anyway.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nope. Don't use them. I have one of my Taurus's in my truck locked in a lock box. When I get in my truck I put the key for the box in the lock, then if I need the pistol I just turn the key and pull out the pistol. If the lock on the pistol is activated this just complicates the process (kind of like carrying without one in the chamber, you would have to rack the slide to be able to use the pistol when needed). The idea, for me, is to have the pistol ready to go as quickly as possible. The same holds true for my Taurus that I use daily as a personal carry piece. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Don't use it. Have never even tried it to see if it works. The keys are still in the little baggies.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Tried the lock when I bought it and put the keys in my safe my house guns are ready to go my youngest is 22 and she can outshoot her boyfriends most of the time I'm carring in the house just because of all the home invasion, there not just in the city anymore I live on the edge of a small town with woods right behind me thank God but developers have been trying to put housing there for 10 years. Move up to the rich neighborhood about ten miles away and they have a serial rapist and twice the home invasions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts