Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I watched an idiot scream and curse at another driver for being confused in a parking lot. Not a bid deal, I see this all the time as most of us do. But it got me to thinking about how impatient and rude people seem to be getting in my area. I live in a mid-size town of about 40,000 and while traffic is much heavier over the years it is nothing like the larger cities. The thing is, peoples attitudes goes way beyond just road aggravation. Shops, restaurants, even just walking down the street people seem much more "grouchy". I grew up in the South and have always heard how friendly the people are. I guess I just took it for granted when I was young but I don't see it anymore. It just seems as if the past 10-15 years peoples attitudes have changed.

The last time I was NYC the people there were much friendlier than in my own home town (however that was a week after 9/11 and they were still in shock) and I've always had good a experience in Texas. Do you think the South in general is still friendly or do you see the same changes in your community? or maybe I'm the one that is just old and grouchy now? That is a distinct possibility.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Boy, I sure think that they are. My last trip down South was to visit some of my wife's relatives in Tennessee. The folks were plenty nice, and I was impressed to see people actually bow their heads and pray for their meals in public. You rarely see such things up here in the Midwest....

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I think that alot has to to with population density like you said. Being from the Fort Worth/Dallas area we have alot of yelling and honking on our roads. Once you get out aways and things open up you don't really see it as much at least I don't.

But a phenomenon I've noticed at least in Texas is in our vehicles it almost seems like it's every man for himself. I don't think we offer defensive driving courses I think they are offensive! :D Get us out of our vehicles and we are pretty nice! I've seen all sorts of po'd people on 820, 635, 35 in Austin, 45 in Houston... I've seen people yelling at another driver, pull into the same gas station as me and shortly there after hold the door for me when I came out since I had my hands full with my daughter! Go figure!

Reactions: Denton and whodog

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
I agree with Texas Aviator, most Texans are Mad Max when it comes to their cars and driving. I don't hear of anywhere near the road rage incidents since Texas became heavily gun friendly and it is legal to carry concealed in your car even if you aren't CHL,

Also, the population density and demographics have a lot to do with it. Around Ft. Worth you have areas of what I call hard people, usually older folks but you can tell looking at them they have lead hard lives and watched the demographics of their long time neighborhoods become the hood, but they never can afford to find a way out. You go into other neighborhoods and the folks at the Supermarket look very different and while stressed looking, much less than folks at the market a few miles away.

Dallas is probably much fuller of the "Me" folks than just about anywhere else and you see a lot more tantrums thrown there than anywhere else in Texas.

Still, the last 11 years in this country, a lot has been heaped upon the people of the USA, and the stress is showing and the american people are the most polarized I have seen in my lifetime, more so than during the Vietnam war. Every bad thing I have been exposed to in the past 64 (soon to be) years has all just been formed into a big old ball and we are supposed to play catch????

Stress is showing.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
It depends on where you go I guess. The Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina where I live
does seem less friendly than it used to be. It has experienced rapid growth during the last
twenty years and when I am driving the roads or walking around in public, I don't get the
handwaves and hellos that used to be commonplace. If I go outside of Raleigh to some of
the smaller towns and cities, people are as friendly as ever. I think crowding and close
proximity to large pouplations of people, in particular newcomers, tend to make the
average person more tense and standoffish in general. This is one reason I am looking
to move outside of Wake County in the near future, along with the rising cost of living
that occurs when the big city mentality takes an area over. The South has grown by
leaps and bounds and I'll be honest, sometimes I can relate to how the Native Americans
must have felt when our European ancestors started overunning the territories they called
home. This is just my opinion though and I know everyone has their own subjective point
of view. I guess I'm just a small town Southerner at heart.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the "stress showing" and the country being polarized Jake. I'm sure that has alot to do with it. My sister lives in Texas Aviators neck of the woods (Grand Prairie/Arlington area) i didn't see the yelling and honking the last time I was there. Actually I was amazed at how courteous the drivers were. Maybe that says something about the drivers in my town. lol. Off subject glad to see ya'll got through the storms alright. My sister called to tell me they were fine but it got a little rough.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Revolver, glad to hear people from other areas still think we are friendly. thanks, feeling better already

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'll just say this about that. When I was hauling drywall for TMC if I went north, when it came time to fold the lumber tarps (which is a PITA), the guys working at the places I was delivering would stand around watching. If I went south one of 'em would always get on the other end of the tarps and lend a hand. It takes about five minutes to fold two lumber tarps with two people - takes about twenty minutes to fold 'em by yourself. I always appreciated that from the southern boys, and I considered it a damn friendly thing to do. Plus I like the way the ladies tawk down there. :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I think the hectic pace of life has a lot to do with it, even me. I work in a fairly large city (Louisville) and while traffic isnt too bad it can be rough from time to time. When it is like that I turn into a different person. If I take a drive to my mom's place, where it is pretty rural, I dont mind getting stuck behind a tractor for a while. And its not just the driving aspect that is like that. It is people in general. Larger cities are just more rude than your rural parts.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I do believe that you'll find a lot of the less courteous people are transplants from up north. Around here, there is very little road rage, and honking horns are rare beyond a short beep after 30 seconds, or so. We're from up in Maryland, near D.C., and have been exposed for decades to some of the rudest people you'll ever find. After having some cigar-smoking idiot cut us off in a parking lot, to get to a space (he passed two closer ones to do that), I blocked him in, and told him that we needed to talk. Turns out that, while the car had Georgia tags, he was still, to him, in Boston. I pointed out to him that all too many people here might just want to do more than talk, and that he should pull his head out, and act like he had some sense.

Since then, I've been attentive to these types of actions, and it's almost always a transplant acting out. I guess the old adage of "you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy" applies equally to just about anything dealing in manners.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In my travels I have said for years.
It's not a north, south thing. It's a rural vs urban.
Country people are country people no matter where geographically they are located.
City people "normally" not as friendly no matter the location.
40k population is urban.
400 population is better.
4 is perfect.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
"I do believe that you'll find a lot of the less courteous people are transplants from up north."

Aw, come on JR, we pretty much have to act that way from having to put up with cold, ice, and snow during the winter! :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I drive a tractor-trailer into New York City 2-3 times a week, and if you want to talk about rude, those people invented the word. I held the door open for a woman the other day and she stopped and looked at me in amazement and said: "You're not from around here, are you." I think that statement speaks volumes.
I think a lot of problems now are that people are really stressed about the economy and whether they're going to lose their jobs or how they're going to pay their bills.

·
Super Moderator
40,391 Posts
In my travels I have said for years.
It's not a north, south thing. It's a rural vs urban.
Country people are country people no matter where geographically they are located.
City people "normally" not as friendly no matter the location.
40k population is urban.
400 population is better.
4 is perfect.
That about sums it up; for the most part city folks are just plain rude and country folks are generally pretty nice people. There are exceptions to this.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I drive a tractor-trailer into New York City 2-3 times a week, and if you want to talk about rude, those people invented the word. I held the door open for a woman the other day and she stopped and looked at me in amazement and said: "You're not from around here, are you." I think that statement speaks volumes.
I think a lot of problems now are that people are really stressed about the economy and whether they're going to lose their jobs or how they're going to pay their bills.
You couldn't pay me enough to go into NY two or three times a week. I didn't care much for Chicago, either. There were places I delivered there where they actually had to put an armed guard on the truck while I was getting unloaded. Never had that problem down south - even in large cities. I think there's some truth to the rural vs. urban thing, but don't kid yourself that there's not a north/south difference too.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me last summer too. Held the door open for a girl about my age and she stopped and looked at me like I was crazy then I got the same "You must not be from around here" line too

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'll add one other thing too. North or south if you're in a city that has an MLK Drive, stay the heck away from it. I don't know what they were thinking when they renamed streets to honor the fallen civil rights leader, but without fail they seem to run through the most crime infested parts of every city I've been in. Louisville's a good example - when delivering there near MLK drive the delivery instructions actually said in big bold letters - "DO NOT PARK OVERNIGHT." But that's crime not courtesy, and regardless what part of the country you're in poverty stricken areas aren't known for their hospitality.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hank Jr. said it best, "We say grace and we say mamm if you ain't in to that we don't give a damn." These are lyrics from "A Country Boy Can Survive". I am thinking that when you put too many rats together in a confined space they eat each other. Cities do the same with humans. Civility is lacking in quite a few areas of our country because most young men never knew a whack across their bottom when they whined or got sassy. Manners don't happen by accident but are instilled by a strong family.

·
10,379 Posts
We're from up in Maryland, near D.C., and have been exposed for decades to some of the rudest people you'll ever find. After having some cigar-smoking idiot cut us off in a parking lot, to get to a space (he passed two closer ones to do that), I blocked him in, and told him that we needed to talk. Turns out that, while the car had Georgia tags, he was still, to him, in Boston. I pointed out to him that all too many people here might just want to do more than talk, and that he should pull his head out, and act like he had some sense.
So wait, let me see if I've got this right. Someone cut you off (it happens, get over it) so you blocked his means of retreat and got in a verbal confrontation with him, where you told him that "too many people here may want to do more than talk"?

"Officer! I was in fear for my life! This guy blocked me in with his car and started threatening me after I parked, I was afraid he was going to beat me or kill me, so I shot/stabbed/sprayed/hit him"

I especially like the part where you blame the "Northern Transplants" for being rude, while a few sentences above you out yourself as a "Northern Transplant"

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Y'all need to come visit us down here in Alabama. Cut us off in traffic and we'll ventilate you with a smile!
Y'all won't come back, now, y'hear? :guns: :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts