1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I can honestly say, no - I do not. While I enjoy cleaning my guns when they are dirty, I do NOT religiously scrub them down after each range trip. I have a couple of pistols that haven't been cleaned after several range trips, and haven't cleaned my HiPoint 995 in probably 2 years (haven't had it to the range since last year but didn't do more than run a brush and patch down the barrel - thing is a PITA to dismantle!)

Reactions: william

·
Administrator
40,573 Posts
I think I may be, mildly. I don't suffer with it though. I just like for my stuff to be in its place. Clean and orderly in most everything.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I think I may be, mildly. I don't suffer with it though. I just like for my stuff to be in its place. Clean and orderly in most everything.

I like the idea of clean and orderly, but still have probably 20+ years until I can retire and am temporally challenged...hence, my reloading cave is often disorganized, just like my tool box; and my firearms don't get as cleaned as I would like them to be...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Not anymore. Now the kids still suffer with it then they visit her but I'm fine now. :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Yes and no. I clean my guns as a mental diversion, even though most haven't been fired in years. My tools and reloading area have to be spotless. But my workshop looks like a tornado just hit it. My wife can't understand why I allow it to look like a junk yard, and can't understand that I know where everything is, and notice if anything is out of place - among the filth.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
can't help with your question but can you PLEASE put the letters in the correct order--CD then O, thats stuff drives me crazy---never mind i will just change them myself!!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I agree with the article about getting them dirty again. After I clean a pistol and reassemble, I have to go out and shoot a full magazine to make sure it functions correctly. Now it's dirty again. In a couple of weeks I'll be going thru about 500 rounds of pistol ammo and 750 rounds of rifle ammo. I'll be cleaning those 2 firearms the next day..:)

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I can honestly say, no - I do not. While I enjoy cleaning my guns when they are dirty, I do NOT religiously scrub them down after each range trip. I have a couple of pistols that haven't been cleaned after several range trips, and haven't cleaned my HiPoint 995 in probably 2 years (haven't had it to the range since last year but didn't do more than run a brush and patch down the barrel - thing is a PITA to dismantle!)
Ditto what he said.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Reactions: Wino and loudviking

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Organized people are just too lazy to look for stuff!

Don

Reactions: william

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
No. I do not overclean . . . . ANYTHING!

It takes many range trips between my cleanings. I will wipe down the surfaces (including inside a slide and breechface where applicable) with a silicon cloth after handling a gun but, field strip and clean it - no. But, then, I don’t shoot anywhere near the volume of boolits than my brethren (and sistren) here do. I don’t reload so all my shooting is done with jacketed bullets loaded over “clean burning” modern commercial loads.

Now, when I buy something new - yes, I do strip it down clean and lube it. And I may occasionally put a few drops of remoil on a slide and/or cylinder mechanism. I do try to make it a habit to strip and clean all guns maybe once per year but, as noted, I just don’t shoot enough to warrant frequent cleanings. But, that’s just me!

Reactions: jtg452

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Mine are clean, period, and I enjoy taking care of them...................

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Think everyone has a little O.C.D to some extent. Just may involve different things. In the old days they just use to say you think to much.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Cleaning? Oh...I consider myself VERY OCD on stuff like that.... For example, I clean various places in my hut every few years, whether it needs it or not!!!!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Not really.

I realize that shooting guns will make them dirty. I do clean safe queens every couple of years more to make sure there's no rust and to knock the dust bunnies out of them. I don't even have a problem with a gun being dirty for a few days or even a week.

Now, when I clean something, firearm or not, it will be CLEAN. For guns, there's 3 levels of cleaning.

If a gun gets a couple rounds put through it, I'll field strip take a couple passes through the bore, wipe the breechface down and call it done.

Normal cleaning (call it 100 rounds of smokeless or any BP shooting) is a field strip, scrub and relube. Grip panels come off every 3rd cleaning. My sweat tends to be rather corrosive and rust will start under the grip panels if I don't clean under them regularly.

Then there's detail cleaning. That's a detail strip (every part removed), everything cleaned degreased and relubed. That happens about every 1000 rounds of smokeless or every 3rd use of a BP shooting gun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts