Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is off topic but that's what the Lounge is for i guess . ANyway i been thinking about getting me a riding lawnmower . Getting tired of pushing the mower as i get older . I only have a regular residential yard (front and back) . Not all that big either but i usually spend good part of 3-4 hours when mowing and edging and weedeating . Started out looking at the Troy-Builts . First i was looking at this one : Shop Troy-Bilt TB30R Shift-on-the-Go 30-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= cause it has a 30" cut and i thought it would fit through my front and back gates but with the deck it's 42" wide which is too big :( . But i have a shop in the backyard with entry from the alley (no windows) with a double car garage door and a single to the front into my backyard but th front 10' is lower than the backside closest to the alley so i would have to build a ramp to get to the lower section . So since i thought well if i had to go through the shop then i might as well check out something bigger so they also have the tractor with a 42" deck : Shop Troy-Bilt Pony Shift-on-the-Go 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= making mowing faster but as before i'd have to go throught the shop , down the alley and down the street to reach my front yard . So while checking i also went to HomeDepot but they didn't have either one but the salesman there showed me a John Deere D105 : Shop John Deere D105 Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= which is $500.00 more but he said the quality and everything about it was way better than the Troy-Built anyway and he had plenty experience on all kinds of riding mowers and he said JD was the best . Mostly he liked the Zero-Turns best : Shop John Deere Z235 V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 42-in Zero-Turn Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= but they are way out of my pocket range :( .

So my question is do any of you have a riding mower , if so what kind and do you think it's better than others ??

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I have a JD D130 with 42 inch cut with 22HP. It does a great job and I have had no problems the past three years that I have owned it. Before the JD, I always bought Sears Craftsmen lawn tractors and each one of them ran for 10 years before I got rid of them and they were still working, just want a larger cut.

The JD lawn tractors that Home Depot and Lowes sell, are made by JD and are basically the same that you will find at the JD store, but you will pay more at the JD store. I would look at the Sears models and compare price, they are a good machine.

Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
Not anymore, but at another house where I had a much bigger yard I had the gayest (not that there's anything wrong with that) riding lawnmower ever built. An MTD Yard Bug. I took a lot of crap off the neighbor dudes, but I got it really cheap and it worked great. With the rear engine it could really climb hills.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Just don't get the 46" cut troy built with 22 hp motor.

I bought one 3 years ago at Lowe's. Brought it home, unloaded it and after checking the fluids and gassing it up. I started cutting my yard,. I cut about 28' when there was a loud noise and the mower lurched and then started running really quietly.

The deck quit running. So I tried to re-engage the blades and the handle was limpish acting. Shut it down and started looking at it. The idler pulley under the deck was twisted up and 90 degrees from it's original position. The belt was loose and the two halves of the pulley were partially separated.

I checked the ground behind and under the mower and not a blade of grass or a single chunk of dirt was messed up. The blades were absolutely fine. Not a ding, bend or anything wrong with them.

I loaded it back up and carried back to Lowe's. The CS rep asked me how long I had the mower and I said : "About 45 minutes." Lowe's is about 3 miles from my house.

So I just wanted another mower as that one has some issues. 45 minutes later and we determined that they had 6 in stock that were returned with the exact same issue. 3 more has other issues with the deck or drive train. The next Lowe's across town has 4 in stock that were returned for similar , if not the same issue.

The Lowe's in the next town had 8 with issues.

Mind you, these were all the same model: 22 hp , 46"cut, hydrostatic shift on the fly , red mower.

I got my money back and bought a Craftsman 46" 21 hp.

Incidentally, I found out that two people make Craftsman: Husqvarna and Trot Bilt. Troy Bilt makes the grey/black Craftsman mowers, Husqvarna makes the red Craftsman mowers.

Sears is higher, and they add about 27 more digits to any part number, but at least you can order every single part on that mower.

I'm not gonna knock all Troy Bilts. Every manufacturer has a model that has issues or is just a lemon.

The 22 hp, 46" cut hydro drive is their lemon.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
I use two riding mowers - each have a different function. One is a JD D300 with a (useless) rear mounted grass catcher, the other is a Snapper rear engine. Both have BS engines, both have given me zero problems. The JD is much more comfortable to use, but the Snapper eats a blade every year.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I've had Murrys, Craftsman, and Toro. I swear you just couldn't kill the Murry or the Toro. Someone stole the Craftsman while the paint was still shiny, so all I can say was it looked nice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I had a new (2000) 10 horse rear engine craftsman that the ex ran over a stump I told her about with the deck engaged.:mad: Two years ago I picked up a used (2007) 17.5 horse craftsman front engine for $175 at the church rummage sale. They both work great and if the ex didn't total the original one I think it would still be running.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The smaller JDs aren't made by JD. They are usually MTD or Yard Machine. Pure crap. A friend who owns a cycle/mower shop bought a JD but went with a bigger size due to its having a Kawasaki engine.

·
8,545 Posts
I have had a John Deere L120 for over 14 years. Had to replace the deck belt twice. Also had a start problem about 8 years in - it was intermittent and I went down the wrong path for a few years replacing safety switches etc..Until I finally figured out the most likely part ( the starter solenoid ) was bad..Geez what an idiot. It needs a valve job - but I am ignoring that problem. Other than that just normal annual maintenance (plugs/oil change etc..) . IT still cuts great and I am going to use it until the engine goes , then may replace it or try and find a replacement engine.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
  • Bolens
  • Columbia
  • Cub Cadet
    • Cub Cadet Commercial
    • Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar)
  • Farm King
  • GardenWay
  • Gold Series
  • Gutbrod
    • Gutbrod-Kehrer
  • Huskee
  • Lawnflite
  • Mastercut
  • Mow Master
    • Mow Master Mastercut
  • MTD
    • MTD Black Edition
    • MTD Silver Edition
    • MTD Gold
    • MTD Mowmaster
    • MTD Platinum Pro
    • MTD Platinum SD
    • MTD Pro
    • MTD Super
    • MTD Taral
    • MTD Tradesman
    • MTD Turbomax
    • MTD 2000 Elite
  • Novotrac
  • Ranch King
  • Rasentrac
  • Remington
  • Ryobi (sold at Costco)
  • Troy-Bilt
  • Ventzki
  • Ventzki MTD
  • White Outdoor
  • Wolf Garten
  • Yard Machines
  • Yard-Man
    • Yard-Man Elite
    • Yard-Man Select
  • YardWorks

ALL made by MTD Products

That said, I have a 3 YO, HUSKEE 46" cut, 19hp Kohler engine. It's been very good so far.

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
I bought a Murray 12,5 horse 42 inch deck that lasted 35 years and it was really cheap

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Large landscaped areas in the front and a pool in the back so I just push it, push it real good.

·
Administrator
39,728 Posts
I currently have a Cub Cadet, 42 inch cut, 22 horse Kohler engine. Love this thing. Has a high back seat, so you can lean back while you ride, cruise control, and of course a cup/can holder.:D I've had it about four years now, and I'm going to have to replace the battery and blades this year. Great machine! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
FYI current Craftsman are made by either MTD or Husqvarna, with MTD making the lower end models and Husky making the bigger ones and the zero turns. This is for the most part accurate but with Sears you never know, they can always pop an MTD or any other brand in just about anywhere in the lineup in any given year.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I know this is off topic but that's what the Lounge is for i guess . ANyway i been thinking about getting me a riding lawnmower . Getting tired of pushing the mower as i get older . I only have a regular residential yard (front and back) . Not all that big either but i usually spend good part of 3-4 hours when mowing and edging and weedeating . Started out looking at the Troy-Builts . First i was looking at this one : Shop Troy-Bilt TB30R Shift-on-the-Go 30-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= cause it has a 30" cut and i thought it would fit through my front and back gates but with the deck it's 42" wide which is too big :( . But i have a shop in the backyard with entry from the alley (no windows) with a double car garage door and a single to the front into my backyard but th front 10' is lower than the backside closest to the alley so i would have to build a ramp to get to the lower section . So since i thought well if i had to go through the shop then i might as well check out something bigger so they also have the tractor with a 42" deck : Shop Troy-Bilt Pony Shift-on-the-Go 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= making mowing faster but as before i'd have to go throught the shop , down the alley and down the street to reach my front yard . So while checking i also went to HomeDepot but they didn't have either one but the salesman there showed me a John Deere D105 : Shop John Deere D105 Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= which is $500.00 more but he said the quality and everything about it was way better than the Troy-Built anyway and he had plenty experience on all kinds of riding mowers and he said JD was the best . Mostly he liked the Zero-Turns best : Shop John Deere Z235 V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 42-in Zero-Turn Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine and Mulching Capable at Lowes.com= but they are way out of my pocket range :( .

So my question is do any of you have a riding mower , if so what kind and do you think it's better than others ??
Yep: 2 of them. A goat and a cow.:loco:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I've had Murrys, Craftsman, and Toro. I swear you just couldn't kill the Murry or the Toro. Someone stole the Craftsman while the paint was still shiny, so all I can say was it looked nice.
I had a Murray Big Wheel with a 30 inch deck. It had a 5 hp Tecumseh that did commercial duty for 6 years and never stopped running. I sold it to a neighbor kid and one day I saw him beatin the H out of it cuttin leaves. Smoke was pouring out the head. I got a socket wrench and tightened the head bolts and when he started it up it had quieted down like a new one. I loved that mower. But, I had to move and that one got sold. I also had a Toro trim mower...shallow deck, 2 cycle for mowing hills and banks. Same thing...ran 5 years and I sold it to a golf course. The ones I had ran great.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts