Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Not another caliber war, please...). I know I should carry at least a 9mm, and that .45 is even better, but I often carry a .380 and I am wondering about SD loads and projectiles. I just inventoried my .380 ammo and it's good stuff, but all FMJ. Any recommendations for JHP?

(I suppose I could go for my lungs and get some Lehigh...)

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I usually use FMJ in my TCP, but I do have some off-the-Academy-shelf Winchester JHP's that I have in the magazines now. I figure if I can make a loud sound, that will scare off 99% of the crowd that may come at me. 99% of the 1% remaining will stop when they get hit with any flying lead (they're not going to ask what it was) and whomever is left were going to kill me no matter what I did. For those situations, my wife will be a wealthy widow!

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Same as Post #2. I carry my Ruger LCPII with Sig V-Crowns.

Reactions: coopercdrkey

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
My primary SD carry is a 9mm PT-111 G2, but my backup is a Ruger LCP-II .380. It's small enough to carry in an ankle holster, or in my pocket.
In the summer, when I often wear shorts and a T-shirt, the LCP-II often becomes my primary SD weapon.
I also have a Taurus 738 TCP, but it was having far too many FTE's to be a reliable SD weapon. I sent it back to the factory for repairs two months ago.
The Ruger is LCP-II is very close to the same size and weight as the TCP, but much more reliable.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have some Winchester SD rounds with fragmenting bullets that look like the tip of a Philips Screwdriver. They seen to do as designed in wet magazines.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
I carry Magtech 95 gr JHP in my 380s. Cannot speak to the ballistics results of my own experience but they always go bang and that is about the most important feature I care about in this little cartridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I carry Magtech 95 gr JHP in my 380s. Cannot speak to the ballistics results of my own experience but they always go bang and that is about the most important feature I care about in this little cartridge.
Solid, indisputable reasoning. that's support of similar to mine for the Hornady. They go bang every time and they feed every time.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have some Winchester SD rounds with fragmenting bullets that look like the tip of a Philips Screwdriver. They seen to do as designed in wet magazines.
Keep your magazines DRY, dude. You don't want to risk rust, do you?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, you can shoot all the jell blocks you want; it does not represent the true penetration found in the human body. first off, there are no bones in the jell to get in the way. And most especially with 1 to 3 pieces of cloth in front of it. With the small caliber hand guns like the 380, 32, 22, etc.. you must have penetration to get through the heart and if the heart is missed then to the spine. You will not achieve this using hollow points or any fragmenting bullets most of the time. Therefore, continue to use the FMJ; most especially in the winter time due to extra heavy/thick clothing. Now, if you are good enough to place your shot in the head, then any bullet you want to use will do the job.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Well, you can shoot all the jell blocks you want; it does not represent the true penetration found in the human body. first off, there are no bones in the jell to get in the way. And most especially with 1 to 3 pieces of cloth in front of it. With the small caliber hand guns like the 380, 32, 22, etc.. you must have penetration to get through the heart and if the heart is missed then to the spine. You will not achieve this using hollow points or any fragmenting bullets most of the time. Therefore, continue to use the FMJ; most especially in the winter time due to extra heavy/thick clothing. Now, if you are good enough to place your shot in the head, then any bullet you want to use will do the job.
That's interesting. I use FMJ because they are cheaper, but hey, now I can say it is to defeat clothing. Would it make sense to alternate FMJ's and JHP's in the magazine? I assume many use JHP's so they don't go through (as many) walls. I assume during stress that shots will go in all different directions and many may not hit an aggressor. The scenario I run thorough my head is shooting down the stairwell from my second story bedroom, so I assume mine will go to ground. Sure, there may be a ricochet (pardon my French) but that's my thought on the subject.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Actually, there is little difference between premium bullets. What is more important is whether the ammo you are using is accurate, shoots to your point of aim (POA=POI), and functions reliably in your pistol with you firing it. Most of these little autos are very personal in how they work, and how well they work and how accurate they are is entirely dependent on how you hold them and your ability to control the trigger.

In general with fixed sights, you can move the point of impact (POI) by changing bullet weight. Heavier bullets shoot higher and lighter bullets impact lower. If you are getting left or right windage and it is not trigger control/hold related, changing manufacturers/brand (even when using the same bullet) can often bring POI back to POA.

"Magic bullets" are only effective if you hit where you aim. I put accuracy over "magic bullet" every time. My 738 loves Remmie 88 grain JHP, only I haven't seen any locally for years. I think I have one mag of those Remmies left so I carry 90 grain Speer Gold Dots because it shoots almost as accurate as the Remmies, and I have a good supply of those on hand.

I would not worry about expansion or penetration with a .380 auto. Most won't have the velocity to expand much, so they are going to penetrate more. I generally don't carry FMJ because they are typically loaded light by just about every manufacturer (around 15,000-17,000 psi) while most modern hollow point, copper, and other specialty bullets are loaded close to SAMMI max psi (21,500 psi).

Living in the South, I don't worry about heavy down jackets clogging the hollow points either. In fact, if they don't go down after a double tap to the chest, next shot is either to the head or the legs, depending on the situation. If I have an exit, it is to the legs so I can at least out run them. No exit, it is a head shot.

And I practice head shots at 25 feet, standing, one hand hold, unsupported, rapid fire with mag change (2 mags, 13 rounds)

FxCam_1301412768483.jpg

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Hornady 90 grn XTP in both TCP and Bersa T380.

Have never had feed problems with either one.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts