Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately, I'm beginning to wonder if certain gun forums have been infiltrated by Gun Control Advocates based on observation of users with strangely pro-Gun Control statements as well as a habitual presumption that their fellow forum-goers aren't responsible with firearms.

I've noticed a phenomenon on other Gun Forums in which certain users automatically presume that others are completely ignorant if not totally lacking in common sense when it comes to self-defense.

Honestly, it seems that in any given discussion, there's always a handful of users who speak to others in the most condescending way possible, treating them as if they're completely irresponsible without anything whatsoever to indicate that they don't know what they're doing.
They make all manner of statements as if the people they're speaking with aren't aware of their rights, how their firearms work, of basic firearms safety, despite the fact that obviously those who post here are Firearms Enthusiasts who otherwise wouldn't be here at all if they didn't know about these things, especially not posting from accounts which were created years ago.

For example, if someone starts a discussion on the topic of Home Defense, someone will start talking down to them about how they need to be aware of their local laws, be responsible for every shot that they take, to be mindful of the fact that walls don't stop bullets, that guns don't work the way they do in the movies, and every other presumptuous, condescending statement possible.
It would be one thing if the topic creator opened the thread by stating that they're new to self-defense and that they were seeking advice, but that isn't the sort of thread I'm referring to here. It's just users who seem to be under the impression that the majority of other users are negligent or incompetent to the point that they're a danger to themselves as well as everyone around them.

Unsurprisingly, these users also tend to make statements in favor of Gun Control and against the enactment of laws which uphold the Second Amendment such as Constitutional Carry.

So I have to wonder just who these users really are and what side they're on when they think so lowly of their peers that they treat every thread like it's an opportunity to instruct their fellow users on firearms safety, their rights, and everything else that's relevant to self-defense as if they're ignorant, irresponsible, or otherwise completely negligent of these things.
Furthermore, I cannot help but feel as if it's intentionally manipulative, as these presumptions are clearly never put to rest, nor do the users who make them ever appear to be reassured by their fellow users when they attempt to inform them that they know what they're doing, regardless of how informed they clearly are or what their service credentials would indicate to the contrary. They just keep right on responding to threads with their presumptuous, condescending rhetoric.

Regardless of intent, it's a very rude way to address others which isn't conducive towards civil discussion nor maintaining a friendly atmosphere to go full Mrs. Shields by arbitrarily responding every discussion they read on Firearms, Self-Defense, and the Second Amendment with comments which more or less equate to; "You'll shoot your eye out, Kid!"

In addition, I have witnessed the all-the-more suspicious activity which is essentially users attempting to scare other users out of using firearms for self-defense by bombarding them with horror stories of how they had better have a darn-good lawyer or they'll lose their money, their house, their job, and their freedom if they dare to shoot someone in self-defense.
Alternatively, they'll attempt to make others doubt in their ability to safely use a firearm under stress by telling horror stories of folks who forgot to switch off the safety or didn't keep a firm grip on it so it was snatched away by their attacker and used against them, or how someone unintentionally shot someone innocent because they panicked, or any number of other such cautionary tales which end in death or imprisonment.
As if that wasn't enough, there are always the horror stories of accidental death, betrayal and grisly murder by family or friends who were able to get their hands on firearms which either weren't adequately secured or otherwise left openly accessible to a third party.

I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't strike me as the sort of way that a Firearms Enthusiast speaks, but rather that of a Gun Control Advocate who is going out of their way to discourage people from exercising their rights by owning, carrying, and using their firearms for self-defense.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You think, maybe they are "seeding" the forum so as to later be quoted or referenced in someone's anti-gun screed in the mainstream press? I wouldn't be surprised that some of them hope so.

My sense of "WHAT i WOULD DO if I were in their position " leads me to believe there may be lurkers with such inclinations in all the forums that I visit. I know for sure there are a wealth of persons whose behavior is just as you describe, and it vexes me as well. Some of their posts are in such an excess as to be labeled "CRINGEWORTHY", but those who have no sense of shame will never even know what they have done.

·
Registered
32,762 Posts
I do know before ever major election, we have new members who lean to the left come on board. I have no doubts that we also get new members who are anti gunners when legislation on gun control is pending.

We are fortunate to have a great team of moderators to ferret them out and generally keep the friendly membership we have.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Lately, I'm beginning to wonder if certain gun forums have been infiltrated by Gun Control Advocates based on observation of users with strangely pro-Gun Control statements as well as a habitual presumption that their fellow forum-goers aren't responsible with firearms.

I've noticed a phenomenon on other Gun Forums in which certain users automatically presume that others are completely ignorant if not totally lacking in common sense when it comes to self-defense.

Honestly, it seems that in any given discussion, there's always a handful of users who speak to others in the most condescending way possible, treating them as if they're completely irresponsible without anything whatsoever to indicate that they don't know what they're doing.
They make all manner of statements as if the people they're speaking with aren't aware of their rights, how their firearms work, of basic firearms safety, despite the fact that obviously those who post here are Firearms Enthusiasts who otherwise wouldn't be here at all if they didn't know about these things, especially not posting from accounts which were created years ago.

For example, if someone starts a discussion on the topic of Home Defense, someone will start talking down to them about how they need to be aware of their local laws, be responsible for every shot that they take, to be mindful of the fact that walls don't stop bullets, that guns don't work the way they do in the movies, and every other presumptuous, condescending statement possible.
It would be one thing if the topic creator opened the thread by stating that they're new to self-defense and that they were seeking advice, but that isn't the sort of thread I'm referring to here. It's just users who seem to be under the impression that the majority of other users are negligent or incompetent to the point that they're a danger to themselves as well as everyone around them.

Unsurprisingly, these users also tend to make statements in favor of Gun Control and against the enactment of laws which uphold the Second Amendment such as Constitutional Carry.

So I have to wonder just who these users really are and what side they're on when they think so lowly of their peers that they treat every thread like it's an opportunity to instruct their fellow users on firearms safety, their rights, and everything else that's relevant to self-defense as if they're ignorant, irresponsible, or otherwise completely negligent of these things.
Furthermore, I cannot help but feel as if it's intentionally manipulative, as these presumptions are clearly never put to rest, nor do the users who make them ever appear to be reassured by their fellow users when they attempt to inform them that they know what they're doing, regardless of how informed they clearly are or what their service credentials would indicate to the contrary. They just keep right on responding to threads with their presumptuous, condescending rhetoric.

Regardless of intent, it's a very rude way to address others which isn't conducive towards civil discussion nor maintaining a friendly atmosphere to go full Mrs. Shields by arbitrarily responding every discussion they read on Firearms, Self-Defense, and the Second Amendment with comments which more or less equate to; "You'll shoot your eye out, Kid!"

In addition, I have witnessed the all-the-more suspicious activity which is essentially users attempting to scare other users out of using firearms for self-defense by bombarding them with horror stories of how they had better have a darn-good lawyer or they'll lose their money, their house, their job, and their freedom if they dare to shoot someone in self-defense.
Alternatively, they'll attempt to make others doubt in their ability to safely use a firearm under stress by telling horror stories of folks who forgot to switch off the safety or didn't keep a firm grip on it so it was snatched away by their attacker and used against them, or how someone unintentionally shot someone innocent because they panicked, or any number of other such cautionary tales which end in death or imprisonment.
As if that wasn't enough, there are always the horror stories of accidental death, betrayal and grisly murder by family or friends who were able to get their hands on firearms which either weren't adequately secured or otherwise left openly accessible to a third party.

I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't strike me as the sort of way that a Firearms Enthusiast speaks, but rather that of a Gun Control Advocate who is going out of their way to discourage people from exercising their rights by owning, carrying, and using their firearms for self-defense.
Dang, you caught me. Guns are bad. People are good. No one needs a gun. No one needs self defense. If someone wants your stuff, you should give it to them. If someone wants to hurt you, you should let them. If someone wants to kill your family, you should help them. Hopefully I've got all the commie talking points accounted for.

·
Super Moderator
14,818 Posts
Dang, you caught me. Guns are bad. People are good. No one needs a gun. No one needs self defense. If someone wants your stuff, you should give it to them. If someone wants to hurt you, you should let them. If someone wants to kill your family, you should help them. Hopefully I've got all the commie talking points accounted for.
Darn it, DB 😕 we thought you didn't know that we were on to you. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Or maybe everyone's different and that includes different views than you, even though you're both pro gun?

Maybe some people aren't able to trust that a stranger knows how to practice gun safety or knows all of their local gun laws, so they feel they have to remind them?

This could keep going...

I have no doubt that there are antigun folks reading these messages, just as I have no doubt that there are people pushing pro-Russian propaganda. The online world can be a scary place, OP. Don't believe anything you read.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts

There are a few members who ask questions of a personal nature and they seem to be questions aimed at getting into people's heads. I don't answer those questions because personally I believe it is none of the business of the person asking. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
371 Posts
More than likely we are in the mix with anti-gun people. It IS an open forum; no secret handshake is required. How else do the find out about AR-14's and the true reason we have 9mm guns. The lung blowing out stuff was secret for years. In all reality most of us just shoot .22 rifles and handguns. I wish I had a larger gun myself.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
More than likely we are in the mix with anti-gun people. It IS an open forum; no secret handshake is required. How else do the find out about AR-14's and the true reason we have 9mm guns. The lung blowing out stuff was secret for years. In all reality most of us just shoot .22 rifles and handguns. I wish I had a larger gun myself.
I agree. I need a new pellet gun. My Sam Yang blew a gasket.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
TX-22, Sig P365, Glock 19.4, Glock 42 (Mrs.) & More
396 Posts
To answer the OP question, yes, they are out there -- why would they not?

Here is my heartburn. One thread is started asking "how many guns you own" and a different thread asking "do you hoard ammo?"

Guess who's watching?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
They usually give themselves away pretty quickly.

Most, like others have pointed out, are Keyboard Kommandos and are utterly clueless about firearms usage in the real world. Once they start talking a bunch of Hollywood crap, it gets obvious.

Seen some that bring up- not quite suggesting but more along the lines of chumming the waters- shady, reckless and/or bordering on, if not flat out, illegal actions.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
To answer the OP question, yes, they are out there -- why would they not?

Here is my heartburn. One thread is started asking "how many guns you own" and a different thread asking "do you hoard ammo?"

Guess who's watching?
What's one more list at this point?

If the tin foil hat squad is right and they are actively monitoring and making lists, it ain't like all of us haven't ended up on them already.

·
Registered
32,762 Posts
I wear a tin foil hat pretty often. The one I have been wearing for sometime let's enough of those radio waves to penetrate for me to still keep up. I'm sure gun boards are all monitored and have been for years by all the alphabet agencies to see behavior traits of individuals. They aren't looking for crazies to prevent mass shootings, but looking to get a feel on how far they can push individuals before the individual becomes a problem to them. I think the big push is on to get Red Flag laws into a Federal law instead leaving it to the States individually.

I think the spooks expect to see a lot more hostile folks on a gun forum as I have seen on a couple of foruns and one was supposedly the elite gun forum sees a lot of disagreements and some hostile reactions, another forum started out small and grew fairly well, but the owner of it liked to tick people off and I was one he ticked off one too many times.

This forum is one of the most relaxed group of folks on this green earth. We have excellent moderators, a lot of whom have been here since day one or very early on. I don't agree with all the rules, but they are good rules that we all understand the need for. This is the most civil forum I can imagine being in, and I know it will be kept that way. With that being said, I also don't think any of us would ever go silently into the night.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I guarantee they are here and saving all text waiting on the red flag laws so you can be disarmed by a liberal court.
Well I'm not posting on here where the boat sank so I should be okay.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
While I freely admit to having a larger caliber gun (for example G2C) not all range time for me isn't just all self defense or hunting large game. Shooting 22's in general is just enjoyable for a variety of reasons and are capable of being used if needed for a variety of reasons. Whether they are the best choice for a particular thing compared to other calibers is a different subject. Plus, 22's are one of the most gifted or hand me down guns in families for generations, like a 22 given to a young boy as a gift by his uncle and later that boy gives that 22 to his younger brother when the older brother is ready to safely handle one, and that person will gift it to someone who will appreciate it. Regardless of what a blue book might say about a particular guns sell able value you can't put a price on that feeling. :)

·
Registered
29,515 Posts
There are a few members who ask questions of a personal nature and they seem to be questions aimed at getting into people's heads. I don't answer those questions because personally I believe it is none of the business of the person asking. Know what I mean?
[emphasis added]... that seems a bit too personal to me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts