Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying inside the waistband hybrid alien gear holster at the 3:30 to 4 0clock position. This has been a comfortable location for EDC. I have never given the cross draw 9 or 10 o'clock position a try but it sounds appealing. The 4 o'clock position forces me to unholster when driving my vehicle and reholster when exiting the vehicle. I would think the cross draw position would allow me to keep the pistol holstered while driving. Folks that carry IWB at the cross draw position can you give me some feedback on carrying in your vehicle and why you prefer the cross draw position.

·
Registered
30,006 Posts
I carry crossdraw IWB the majority of the time. the only other method I use with regularity is pocket carry.

I am carrying crosdraw as I write this as a matter of fact. It is the most comfortable position for me when sitting at work or in the vehicle. When driving I dont have to unholster and i can access my firearm easily. I also like it because I can draw with both hands relatively easy. Granted my left hand isn't as smooth and i need to flip the firearm around a bit but its not bad.

In short since i am sitting most of the day at work or in a vehicle, ease of access and comfort are best for me with cross draw. I also find that it conceals better and like I said earlier it's easier with my weak side as well if I need to draw with my left hand.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would like to but I have a spare tire that would rub when I am sitting..I have a crossdraw holster that I wear when I am hiking though.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I have a light weight conceal carry vest that can be used year round, but it screams "I HAVE A GUN" - and that's the only time I carry cross draw. The only thing that screams Gun louder than my vest is a Sneaky Pete. LOL

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
There are benefits and drawbacks to the crossdraw.

PRO: It's one of the best and most comfortable from the seated position, and can be drawn with either hand.

CON: In a high speed life preserving draw, the gun "may" sweep the off side arm, and will be swept "across" the target at it narrowest point. At which time one will have to deliberately stop the momentum of the swung arm to fire and hit the 18" wide target.

With a "strong side" draw the gun will be drawn "up" through the target from balls, to belly button and brain, at which time it can be fired. And during rapid fire, the muzzle rise will continue to carry it up through the much larger 3-4 foot target.

Proponents of the crossdraw like to champion Wild Bill Hickok as a prime example of it's effectiveness. True, once you factor in William practiced every day, and honed his skill during actual gun fights, vs. ballistic gelatin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carry crossdraw IWB the majority of the time. the only other method I use with regularity is pocket carry.

I am carrying crosdraw as I write this as a matter of fact. It is the most comfortable position for me when sitting at work or in the vehicle. When driving I dont have to unholster and i can access my firearm easily. I also like it because I can draw with both hands relatively easy. Granted my left hand isn't as smooth and i need to flip the firearm around a bit but its not bad.

In short since i am sitting most of the day at work r in a vehicle, ease of access and comfort are best for me with cross draw. I also find that it conceals better and like I said earlier it's easier with my weak side as well if I need to draw with my left hand.
Thanks for sharing some excellent info about your cross draw experience. The Alien Gear IWB holster I currently wear is awesome. Haven"t checked to see if they make a cross draw. The price was awesome at $39. Only issue with their holster was the 3.week wait for delivery.
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A LOW BUDGET IWB KYDEX CROSS DRAW HOLSTER Taurus 709 slim?

·
Registered
30,006 Posts
Thanks for sharing some excellent info about your cross draw experience. The Alien Gear IWB holster I currently wear is awesome. Haven"t checked to see if they make a cross draw. The price was awesome at $39. Only issue with their holster was the 3.week wait for delivery.
I cant help there I never cared for kydex (or any hard plastic holsters). Nothing wrong with it, just a personal taste. I know lots of people who love them, I bet one will be along shortly.

I personally use an uncle mikes nylon holster for my PT 740 (the 709 in .40 S&W). Its actually made for a small revolver but it fits very well.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Simple reply: NO. Yellow Emoticon Costume hat Headgear Icon

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Is the AlienGear you own not able to be used in a cross draw configuration?? I would think there is enough clip adjustment to do so - unless you're looking for OWB.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
No cross draw for me.

·
Super Moderator
20,112 Posts
I carry strong side at the 3-4 O'clock position and never unholster when I drive. Only time I unholster is if going into post office or courthouse.

Never tried crossdraw carry but if it works for ya, well, good for you; keep it up.

And I'm TA's kydex member. Crossbreed Minituck carries my Pt140. PT145, PT1911, Glock 22, Glock 19, Glock 23, RIA Commander size 1911 and FX officer's size 1911. Only one handgun I own won't fit in it and I OC it when carrying it.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Administrator
41,047 Posts
Never have carried crossdraw. But I'm not above trying it, if I had, or if someone were to give me a crossdraw holster, I'd give it a shot. I can see the comfort and accessibility prospects.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I would entertain the possibility of trying it if I could loose 20 pounds from a strategically unfavorable place that could hinder my ability to reach or retrieve my gun. :sad:

Reactions: jonrourke

·
23,576 Posts
The best carry methods for driving are generally thought to be crossdraw, ankle, or shoulder rig. Unless your shoulder rig is right-up-against-the-skin comfortable, it requires the most cover garment commitment of the three. But it's very, very comfortable and very fast to draw. I made a crossdraw for a friend for horseback use, but I've never used crossdraw myself.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Always been a fan of crossdraw but never found a holster with the proper cant for easy draw, most are vertical or near vertical which I cannot draw from.

I do use a waist pack and that does provide for crossdraw motion but it is not the same. ;-)

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Crossbreed holsters, that is how I carry my XD40 when I conceal carry. QwikClip | CrossBreed® Holsters - QwikClip is the one I use.

I always carry crossdraw because of a shoulder injury.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Yes. I always carry cross draw. (Southpaw)

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I have a few crossdraw rigs but, with my penchant for full-size autos, BHPS, 1911s, and 4" N frames I might as well be trying to hide a samurai sword on my left hip since the gun really has to be forward of the hipbone. At least with my frame and body. With my shoulders the drape of my standard flannel shit/jacket covers at 4 o'clock but not at 10 o'clock with the cover unbuttoned.

Besides I have developed an internal modular food storage apparatus (called a "gut" by the ignorant) that removes much of the comfort of crossdraw in the seated position.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Besides I have developed an internal modular food storage apparatus (called a "gut" by the ignorant) that removes much of the comfort of crossdraw in the seated position.
I too have one of those, it and shoulder injuries are the reason why I have to carry cross draw.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts