Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the state of VA, along with many other states, it is not illegal to purchase a handgun from a private individual, provided it isn't stolen, and the two parties aren't legally prohibited from owning a firearm. I have a couple handguns bought this way and 3 bought from a dealer. My question centers around a self defense event where you have to discharge a weapon. Is there any legal issue that can be raised by using a legally purchased weapon, with a signed bill of sale, vs carrying a registered weapon? I am probably overthinking this, but am curious to others opinion. My current pocket gun was a private sale. My second carry option is a dealer purchase. My third is a private purchase.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tx is the same way as far as I know. I don't see it being an issue as long as you have the bill of sale and PO's info filed away somewhere

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
If you filled out the 4473, to buy your guns, even in VA, the only thing that gets called in to NICS, is hangun, or long gun. There is no registration as such.

So, unless they back check your gun (not likely), no one would know who you purchased from, private or LGS.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the enlightenment, Robby.

I just learned something new today. ;)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yep, if you have all the paperwork, you should be okay. With the couple of firearms I have sold privately, I required the buyer to come with me to a notary and have a witnessed signing of the bill of sale. If the buyer doesn't want to do that, I won't sell it to them. BTW, the only problem you might encounter is if a firearm you sell privately winds up being used in a crime. The cops will probably come talk to you, but if you have done everything above board (w/paperwork), it should still be a minimal hassle.......

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
If by "ATF Registered, you mean a gun whose serial number is logged to a 4473 short answer yes. I want all of the i's dotted and t's crossed in case I have to use it. No telling what kind of a picture a prosecutor will try to paint.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
If by "ATF Registered, you mean a gun whose serial number is logged on a 4473 short answer yes. I want all of the i's dotted and t's crossed in case I have to use it. No telling what kind of a picture a prosecuter will try to paint.
All of my purchases have been through a gun store, even the ones at gun shows. NO ONE has ever written the serial # on the 4473. They are not supposed to tie the gun, with that for call in. Now in their log book, it will show the serial # and name of purchaser. THAT IS NOT REGISTRATION OF THE GUN!!

·
10,379 Posts
Meh, in WI personal transfers are just that...personal. We have no paperwork we need to fill out or even worry about filling out. We trade the stupidest crap for firearms. One of my brothers traded a broke down three wheeler for a fairly nice .20ga semi auto, only paperwork to trade hands was the title of the three wheeler.

Most of my firearms have been purchased through a dealer of some sort, but, even they're not infallible. I bought a CVA Apex, on the box it says that a 4473 is required...even if it's sold with a black powder barrel. The LGS never recorded it, even after I called them and asked if I should bring it back in to have the numbers recorded.

I guess I look at it as a non-event/non-issue. As long as the person you're dealing with is over 18 (in WI, other states may vary) and doesn't trigger any internal alarms, go for it, you have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
All of my purchases have been through a gun store, even the ones at gun shows. NO ONE has ever written the serial # on the 4473. They are not supposed to tie the gun, with that for call in. Now in their log book, it will show the serial # and name of purchaser. THAT IS NOT REGISTRATION OF THE GUN!!
This is how it is in Ohio. Only thing on the 4473 is handgun or long gun. No registration required.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
My bad and my confusion factor. The 4473 can be used to trace a gun back to a distributor, who files the number. The number is not called in, but there is a paper trail. I should have been more clear on my post. My apologies.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Georgia does NOT require gun registration either. I feel for those who live in states where you have a CHL or CCW license which is tied to a particular gun. As per moondawg, if the shooting is deemed justified, they probably don't care much about the weapon. And, if its deemed justified, you won't end up in court defending a civil suit either.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There are few restrictions on firearms transfers between individuals. The BATFE website provides all the info if you have enough time to kill to dig out the info you want. If you are transferring to another individual (neither of you hold an FFL), you must not have reason to believe the recipient is prohibited from purchasing/possessing a firearm. If I recall correctly, the recipient needs to be a resident of your state. No paperwork is required on a Federal level. It is obvious from the postings that individual members have widely varying comfort zones for documentation. While most of my transfers have been people I know, my requirements are show me a TX DL and/or a TX CHL. That demonstrates the buyer is from my state and in the case of a CHL, that the buyer is not a prohibited purchaser. As to the OP's question re: using a weapon for SD, I see no reason why it would matter if it was purchased via a FFL or from an individual with or without paperwork. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
I've sold 3 and bought 2 from friends and sold one to a stranger. I have a receipt that has all th same questions that are on a regular 4473 Plus on the stranger I put his DL on it and took a pic of him with the gun and him signing the paper. And put them in my safe. Friends I have a similar receipt but most have CCW so I just put that # down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
when i first read this i thought th op was talking about someone carrying a full auto uzi with suppressor aatached

if you are talking about 4473 gun form, the atf doesnt know what kind of gun you bought.they just know you bought a handgun or long gun.unless you register with your local law enforcement its not registered.all a bill of sale does is covers the gun owner/seller in case the gun was used in a crime.then the atf has to contact the factory. the factory tells them they sold it to xx gun store.the xx gun store tells them they sold it to mr.x.they go to mr x he tells them he sold it to you.traceability if thats a word if not you know what i mean
now here where it gets grey.if the gun you bought was sold before i think 1999 then the gun is untracable.gunstores and gun makers used to keep records for 7 years then destroy them.i dont remember exactly when that changed but now the store and makers have to keep the records for 20 years

i took a gun bought in 1994, purchased recently to the weapons dept of my local police station they work hand in hand with the atf.
they told me there is no records of the gun being made,stolen or used in any crime.i registered it with the local pd just in case it does get stolen.at least now its back in the records

from the shootings i know of that went before a grand jury all they cared about was the shooting justified and was the shooter legal to have a firearm.there was a home invasion case a few years ago the drug dealer shot and killed the robber.he was justified in the killing but because he was a felon he was sent to prison for being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm
i dont know how things work in other states but the ammo used doesnt play a part in the grand jury decision to bring charges.now if the shooting is said to be unjustified then other things might come into play

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I guess it ultimately comes down to if the gun grabbers come to confiscate our guns, I want more guns that they have to do more work to find out I have, than ones that they just get from the dealer's books. I see the point that the serial number doesn't go to the feds when purchasing, but all they have to do is get every dealer log and get the info for the purchaser.
This leads back to my feelings on future purchases coming from private sales if possible. I was just thinking through buying more carry weapons in the future and if my thought process needed to be adjusted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best place to check is your local sheriffs or ATF's website for legit up to date info. These laws are in constant flux to keep us scared so I would ensure through one of those sources

1 - 20 of 30 Posts