Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you carry a Revolver or an Auto for concealed carry?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
PT145 Mil Pro semi-auto. I don't own a revolver. I might get one in the future.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I carry a semi-auto.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I didn't vote as you don't have an option for Both. My primary is an auto but when I carry a second gun (its difficult to access a belt gun under a winter coat) its a revolver.

Steelheart

·
Registered
878 Posts
These days I'm all auto.

I was going to answer "All Three"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carry both. Revolver (j-frame) in the city. Auto when I'm out hiking or fishing because I've got more clothing concealment options.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Either. I don't often carry two at a time, but, given the situation, a revolver or an auto might be on my person.

Reactions: SteveZ

·
Registered
544 Posts
I only carry Revolvers. Most of the time I carry Two Fiveshooters. Sometimes I carry a Seven and a Fiveshooter. Al so I carry reloads, flashlight, Pepper Spray, knife, and Cell Phone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I selected revolver -- simply because I am most commonly limited to pocket carry while in casual business attire. The Taurus Instant Backup 9mm titanium revolver is my typical carry weapon in those conditions these days. (I've used the PM40, P3AT, LWS380, R9s, and AMT45 as well -- but have come to rely upon the 905IB Titanium since its acquisition)

However, when dressed where belt carry is possible -- I will have a semi-auto pistol on my belt.

Interesting to hear a couple of comments regarding a revolver as being more reliable... In addition to the tactical handgun and carbine courses I've attended at Southern Exposure Training under Randy Cain, I also attended his revolver course this past year. I witnessed more non-operator malfunctions (meaning it was a gun problem) during the revolver course than in the tactical course where all use semi-auto pistols.

Most in the revolver course were using S&W K frame revolvers -- although a few of use were using N frames (mine was firing .44 special). So, to say a revolver is "more reliable" may not necessarily be true from a mechanical perspective -- it is a machine and can break too... But, throw the user-error element in and yes, a semi-auto can be less reliable for some shooters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Should be getting my LTCF permit anyday and will be carrying auto.

·
Administrator
39,928 Posts
Carried a revolver for years, but now its semi-auto. Don't own a revolver except for black powder and single action. But I've been looking at revolvers again. Another snubby for carry. I never trusted semi-autos years ago. But I still just like them revolvers! :thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
It depends on my dress, mostly. If I have my computer back pack, I have either the 1911 or Tracker .357 in the large pocket. I usually will have the snubbie in my coat pocket. Shorts or light clothes, it will be either the KT .380 or PF9. By the way, I had a S&W model 29 many years ago that was a great gun. I have also had more problems with medium frame revolvers than any other single brand out there. In a revolver I really prefer the Taurus or Ruger over S&W. Just my personal preference, all are good guns.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Auto for me. Don't own a revolver, got the PT-145 just for carry. Anyone carry the Judge? Looks a little big for CCW. Might start looking at a snub nose .357 or a matched pair. Have a PT-111 as a replacement for the .45 in case something happens. :???:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Both

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
stephpd said:
Anyone carry the Judge? Looks a little big for CCW.
I just had to answer that!! When I bought my holster for my JUDGE, it came with several options I could buy. Belt obviously; Paddle, optional; and a shoulder rig.

Ok everyone I know had the 3", and I have seen the 4", but mine has the 6.5 inch barrel, and dispite what the web site says, it is not 9.5" long. It is 13" long and almost 6" from bottom of grip to top of frame. Winter time,with a long parka, or overcoat, I could get away with a shoulder rig, but being old and smaller I would probably lean very hard to my left. I have used it open carry, and for some reason no one asks about it except at the door of gun shows.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
It's revolvers all around for me; in my car, in my truck, in the house, on my belt, in my pocket, BUG, etc. (You get the picture).

1 - 20 of 226 Posts