Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was posed in the faqs section of a seller on GunBroker:

Do you accept Paypal?

Answer: No. We do not accept Paypal. Paypal is anti-gun, so we are anti-Paypal.

Does anyone know if this is true? If true, would it affect your doing business with this company? Also, as they are owned by eBay, perhaps that means not making firearms-related purchases there as well.......

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
You can use Paypal to pay another Paypal member for services or goods - any services or goods - and you don't have to put a detailed explanation out there. Now, if the other party doesn't use Paypal, then you'd have to find another way to pay, but it can be done through PP.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You can use Paypal to pay another Paypal member for services or goods - any services or goods - and you don't have to put a detailed explanation out there. Now, if the other party doesn't use Paypal, then you'd have to find another way to pay, but it can be done through PP.
That about sums it up really. They are anti-gun so when you do buy on-line firearm related items you would have to word it in a manner that wouldn't let on that it is firearm related.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I once used PayPal that was years ago, never again

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I use it when available. I hate to but it is an option, instead of waiting for snail mail to get my check across the country. As stated, as long as nothing gun related is mentioned, they know no better. So even though I use them, I'm still getting over on them! HAHAHA. (at least it makes me feel better)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I actually prefer pay pal and have sold guns through it though as a private sale. I've also bought some things using pay pal that would fall under their guide lines as not allowed. Just another method of paying that is fairly safe.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I saw this posted elsewhere and it makes a lot more sense than most of what I hear about the subject:

"Paypal is NOT anti-gun, this is just one of the internet myths that you run across constantly, just because some people failed to read the terms of use that specify what you can NOT buy with Paypal, and firearms and ammunition are two of the MANY things that will get you in trouble if you use it to purchase them. Paypal is based in California, and decided to limit their liability by limiting the usages that their service can be used for, to keep from being involved in any lawsuits that might arise from illegal use of firearms or ammunition purchased using their services. In the uber- litigious world of California, this just makes good business sense. Closing people's accounts because they violated the terms of use... well, what can I say other than READ THE TERMS OF SALE...or do like I did, get their business debit card. I use it quite frequently to purchase both firearms and ammo, since it's carried by a bank and not by Paypal itself. Everyone knows you should always read the fine print, right???

The co-founder of Paypal donated $1.7 MILLION dollars to Ron Pauls PAC fund earlier this year, doesn't sound much like an anti-gunner to me..."

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I use PayPal for my business; it is very widely accepted in the motorcycle community as most vintage bike nuts buy old parts from eBay and it is pretty much the only way you can sell on eBay now. When you only have a couple eBay sales every year, you don't qualify to collect money orders or checks. YOU MUST use eBay. I have a 100 percent feedback rating on eBay and did enough dollar amount to qualify for their super-duper seller status but still had to use PayPal exclusively. I also do business with a LOT of overseas customers and PayPal is pretty much the way to go. I have another company I use to process credit/debit cards (ProPay) and they don't require the payee to have one of their accounts but if I were to use them for overseas business I would have to let them hold a "deposit" of several thousand bucks in the event there were overseas charge backs. PayPal also takes care of currency exchange. I pretty much hate using PayPal and am looking for an alternative as we speak. PayPal is owned by eBay and you will note that searches containing certain phrases such as AR15 don't turn up much... folks selling in auctions typically will use other terms as I think eBay is pretty gun unfriendly as well. Here is the OFFICIAL PAYPAL policy on firearms from their website:
FAQs More answers in the Help Center

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms? We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

• Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Don't tell PayPal, but I just bought some parts two weeks ago from KelTec with money left over in my PayPal account. I got the parts already and KelTec got their money already.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
I saw this posted elsewhere and it makes a lot more sense than most of what I hear about the subject:

"Paypal is NOT anti-gun, this is just one of the internet myths that you run across constantly, just because some people failed to read the terms of use that specify what you can NOT buy with Paypal, and firearms and ammunition are two of the MANY things that will get you in trouble if you use it to purchase them. Paypal is based in California, and decided to limit their liability by limiting the usages that their service can be used for, to keep from being involved in any lawsuits that might arise from illegal use of firearms or ammunition purchased using their services. In the uber- litigious world of California, this just makes good business sense. Closing people's accounts because they violated the terms of use... well, what can I say other than READ THE TERMS OF SALE...or do like I did, get their business debit card. I use it quite frequently to purchase both firearms and ammo, since it's carried by a bank and not by Paypal itself. Everyone knows you should always read the fine print, right???

The co-founder of Paypal donated $1.7 MILLION dollars to Ron Pauls PAC fund earlier this year, doesn't sound much like an anti-gunner to me..."
Yes, I think it's liability related. There's a big difference between not wanting to be involved in firearms transactions, and actively campaigning against firearms ownership. As far as I know Paypal does not do that. I'm O.K. with them, I buy an awful lot of stuff online, both personal and for work, and find it very convenient. It keeps me from having to enter a lot of information all the time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Wait.
Hold the phone.
Are you telling me that I can use the debit card they offer to buy my fire arm related stuff? Because it is owned by another than PayPal itself?
Someone correct me if I am wrong because if were not.....Oh happy day's!

·
5,686 Posts
I've been using paypal for years. I purchase and sold on ebay a lot and never once have I ever had an issue. It's merely a liability issue and as stated above, they are not anti gun.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like and use PayPal, have for many years. They have an excellent protection policy on purchases.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Whenever I use PayPal, all I do is just log into my account to verify the purchase; no questions or even any info re: what I purchased. Just verifying the purchase which includes the amount and the vendor. Have never had a problem. Has someone been asked to verify an item? Has someone actually been asked what they were purchasing?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Whenever I use PayPal, all I do is just log into my account to verify the purchase; no questions or even any info re: what I purchased. Just verifying the purchase which includes the amount and the vendor. Have never had a problem. Has someone been asked to verify an item? Has someone actually been asked what they were purchasing?
Same here and for all I would presume. I believe my credit card data to be safer with PP than with some vendors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts