Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want you to benefit from my error. Had an new Ruger Bearcat long ago that didn't get shot very much. Didn't have gun oil, so I used WD-40 to lubricate it and store it. Got it out a few days ago and the cylinder would not lock into place. Gunsmith said WD-40 solidifies after a while and had caused the cylinder lock to freeze. WD-40 works best on door hinges, not guns.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What a pile of c**p. I have been using WD40 on guns as long as I can remember with no problems. It constantly amazes me how you can find every ignorant and wrong view in the world on the net.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
EPWrangler said:
What a pile of c**p. I have been using WD40 on guns as long as I can remember with no problems. It constantly amazes me how you can find every ignorant and wrong view in the world on the net.
The key part of this was long term storage!!
I too have used WD for many things, but not for guns that set in storage for a long time.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
EPWrangler, you need to tone it down. Just because the view doesn't match yours, doesn't make it ignorant, or even wrong. I personally would not use anything but a gun solvent or lubricant on my guns, even though I've read that brake fluid has essentially the same ingredients in it. Am I going to use brake fluid on MY guns? No way !! But I don't berate those that do, and I assume they may know something I don't.

·
21,932 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
EPWrangler, you need to tone it down. Just because the view doesn't match yours, doesn't make it ignorant, or even wrong. I personally would not use anything but a gun solvent or lubricant on my guns, even though I've read that brake fluid has essentially the same ingredients in it. Am I going to use brake fluid on MY guns? No way !! But I don't berate those that do, and I assume they may know something I don't.
Nuf said..Disagreement does not require name calling...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Sweet Home. I used to use WD-40 and noticed that the guns I didn't use on a regular basis would be come quite "gummy". I did some checking on WD-40 sometime back. I found a post on one of the other gun boards which advised against using WD-40 for the following reasons. It said WD-40 is not an effective lubricant and will result in more metal to metal wear. It was not develped as a lubricant. It was developed by NASA for use in the space program for water displacement. I guess they get condensation in the electrical and mechanical systems and were looking for a way to remedy it. Hence the name WD- Water Displacement formula 40. It took 40 experiments to get the correct properties. I guess you could do a seach online and verify this. None the less, I've since swithched to more effective lubricants and greases for my firearms.

·
Registered
846 Posts
This has been gone over in here many times, wd ain't good fer nothing, not even good on rusted bolts.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
WD-40 and duck tape don't fix guns guys

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Bubba said:
.... put some slide greese on. Seems to work real nice.
What is gun grease? What brands are good? None of my local sporting goods stores carry any grease. I remember reading about grease being best for polymer frame semi's. Is this true and where do I find this grease?

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
While the response below may be common knowledge, I think it bears repeating.

Useage of WD40 on Firearms should be limited to External Surfaces as a metal preservative only, as it's penetrant carrier will evaporate and leave a wax residue which will nicely protect metal against humidity/moisture. There are other products that will work better for more long term storage. WD40's thin layer of Wax will probably last only about a year. If you go thru your Collection for an annual wipe down, it will work. For Guns that see annual use, it's more convenient.

WD40 should NEVER be considered as a Lubricant and was not designed to be one. It was designed primarily as a Metal Preservative. While WD40 is somewhat penetrative and will work for some minor cleaning, I prefer to use PB Blaster as a Penetrating Oil and a regular solvent (naptha) for Cleaning.

Most Penetrating Oils make very poor lubricants, although some are better than others on that. Penetrating Oils of any kind, can and will penetrate Ammunition whose Primers are not sealed, nuetralizing the primers and rendering that ammunition dead. (Nix on any penetrating oil inside your Magazines of your Self Defense Guns!) On products that claim to Clean, Lubricate, and Protect, I consider them to be a Jack of most trades, Master of none. For a Lubricant use an Oil that is just that. An Oil/Lubricant!

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
A good gun grease is in a yellow and whit tube called Tetra gun grease, use vary little I use a
q-tip and wipe off any excess a couple of drops on the rail and rub it in so it disapears. Now for the oil cleaner question. I use Break Free (CLP) cleaner lubricant preservative its a spray and works great at cleaning the hard places then I have Break Free oil. That is an oil and preservative and is not effected by temp. after whiping everything down I keep silicone cloths around to whipe the guns down after touching it. I have never had a rust problem and some of my guns have not been handled in years other then to take out run a swabdown the barrel and whipe down the outside. hope this helps

·
Registered
296 Posts
45 Forever said:
WD-40 and duck tape don't fix guns guys
Hey, don't be dissin da duct tape. May not have many uses around guns but it's great for holding a Nascar car together.

Was going to talk about wd-40 but that's been covered pretty well. Never on my guns.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
hey duct tape works on everything but guns somtimes it even works on the wife its amazing how they got it down that they just break free after you've got back from fishing or going to the range how do they do that, LOL shhh don't tell my wife I was being a smartass LOL :) :) :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good info re: WD-40....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unlike some here I guess I use my guns more often. Although my collection is not extensive it has been chosen to fill a need not a safe. If you don't shoot it sell or give it to someone who does. My primary spray is CLP but I use WD40 when it is not available. Stirker fired guns need the striker channel cleaned regularly and WD40 is ideal since oil will hold on to crud and cake it.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Why use things not made for a product I compare thats to all the blond jokes where they use there shoe as a hammer and a screwdiver as just about everthing else and don't know the difference between a wrench and a a pair of plyers. Where supposed to know what we are doing and when I here someone use WD-40 on are guns its like useing sandpaper on the slide to get the carbon off. your basic gun cleaning kit is under $10 bucks and if you need one that bad E-mail me and I'll send you one of mine I only have about 20 of the dang things from Christmas and b-days. Now I admit I tend to put my own together but Hoppes #9 has been around sence the caveman. and Break free is not that expensive or Gun scrubber for that matter maybe that's why we have so many complaints half our guns are gummed up with WD-40 and JB Weld don't forget Duct tape. :) ok I admit I have some duct tape on my gun bag :)

·
21,932 Posts
This is a great discussion/argument and I see a lot of opinions. Guys lets keep the discussion based in fact and experiance. Try to hold back some of the colorful descriptions
of what you think of opinions that differ from yours.

Thankyou

Airwrench...

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
The smiley faces should have been a clue that I was joking around and not meaning and offence. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding
Rick

1 - 20 of 54 Posts