Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in an apartment and figured out that I wanted a S&W Governor for home defense. Much more maneuverable than my Mossberg. But couldn't find a Governor and the LGS owner couldn't find one to order in for me. So one day I'm in a local Trading Post that I didn't even realize carried guns and there's a Taurus Public Defender!

Thought it over but figured it would be years before I saw a S&W Governor and this was a bird in the hand that did the same thing. So I bought it and I'm most pleased and its now my night time bedside gun.

Last week I'm in the big city at a gunshop I hadn't known about before and danged if they don't have a new Governor for sale. I didn't buy it, but its been lurking in the back of my brain...simmering. Now I've decided maybe I need another "shotgun revolver" for the far side of the apartment where I'm often on line.

I've no corporate loyalty. Own many brands of revolvers and pistols. I don't think it'd be too confusing. Guessing the S&W cylinder rotates counter clockwise too. Just would use it for .410 self defense loads. Have plenty of .45 1911s already.

Can't have too many guns right?

Get out of my yard.....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I owned a blued Judge Public Defender in the past and carried in my Jeep console as a car-jacker deterrent, but sold it to finance the acquisition of my PT92 pistol.

I currently own (and dearly LOVE) a blued Ultra Light Judge, which is one of the handguns that serves as part of my home defense system and accompanies me whenever I'm doing yard work.

If I had it to do over again, I would have never disposed of the Public Defender.:icon_ nono:

(Hmm...maybe someday?):confused:

Attachments

Reactions: Sekol and ncfarmer

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I love my Judge and would never get rid of it. Even though I own many different manufacturers of guns, I am a Taurus fan first and try to see if what I want is available from them. My latest 2 acquisitions were not Taurus but they don't offer what I wanted. IMHO, the Governor is overpriced for the little extra it may give you over the Judge.
By the way, do you need 2 of the same guns? Probably not. But that was not a thought process when I owned at one point 4 24/7s. Wants and needs

Reactions: Sekol and MilProGuy

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Yes, because the other hand gets lonely. Lol

Reactions: Sekol

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
One thing the governor offers that the judge doesn't is it will shoot .45 acp with moon clips. You say you have 1911s so you have extra ammo for it. You probably can have your cylinder on your judge modified to use moon clips though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. No interest in shooting .45 ACP in the Public Defender...have plenty of .45s for that. Looking for the compact shotgun for easy access and maneuverability. A second "shotgun revolver" is much faster than reloading those .410 rounds. That's my thought on why two....as well as having them in different parts of the apartment for easy access to one or the other. But its true, I don't "need" the second.....I just have this most intense addictive craving to own it....that's the juice...buying it and having it....I'm soooo addicted!

·
Registered
246 Posts
So I live in an apartment and figured out that I wanted a S&W Governor for home defense. Much more maneuverable than my Mossberg. But couldn't find a Governor and the LGS owner couldn't find one to order in for me. So one day I'm in a local Trading Post that I didn't even realize carried guns and there's a Taurus Public Defender!

Thought it over but figured it would be years before I saw a S&W Governor and this was a bird in the hand that did the same thing. So I bought it and I'm most pleased and its now my night time bedside gun.

Last week I'm in the big city at a gunshop I hadn't known about before and danged if they don't have a new Governor for sale. I didn't buy it, but its been lurking in the back of my brain...simmering. Now I've decided maybe I need another "shotgun revolver" for the far side of the apartment where I'm often on line.

I've no corporate loyalty. Own many brands of revolvers and pistols. I don't think it'd be too confusing. Guessing the S&W cylinder rotates counter clockwise too. Just would use it for .410 self defense loads. Have plenty of .45 1911s already.

Can't have too many guns right?

Get out of my yard.....
You sound like your in the same position I'm in. Small apartment and I have a mossberg but it's hard to maneuver with it. I had a poly PD and I did like it a lot but ultimately I traded it in for a Governor. I do miss the PD sometimes but in the quality, fit and feel, there is just no comparison, the Governor is a beautiful weapon but in form and function. Here's mine to give you a little tease :)

[/URL]

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I was looking at the shorter barreled Judges the other day and thinking about getting
another one, especially with the three inch cylinder. It would be easier to draw if I
decided to make it a truck gun to stick between the seats and I could put it in the
center console. The Judge I have now would be my snake and camping gun with
the longer barrel length. I saw that PT-92 though and I picked that up instead.
I still might pick up one of the 3" barrel length Judges with the 3" cylinder in the
near future. I might even trade in my current Judge and use the new one as a
all purpose gun.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You don't need another gun.
You must have another gun. I think it's a no-brainer ... go for it.

Reactions: MilProGuy and Sekol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Everyone definately needs as many shot shooting wheel guns as possible! There is no possible way to have too many of these guns! Everytime I see one I start drooling and am reaching for the wallet.... My wife and friends think I am crazy, they just dont understand... I try to tell my wife it is like clothes shopping for her, that way she can relate to it... Almost like a nicotine craving, if I dont have another Shotgun pistol I might punch someone in the face... Just saying, BUY IT!!!! LOL

Thanks. No interest in shooting .45 ACP in the Public Defender...have plenty of .45s for that. Looking for the compact shotgun for easy access and maneuverability. A second "shotgun revolver" is much faster than reloading those .410 rounds. That's my thought on why two....as well as having them in different parts of the apartment for easy access to one or the other. But its true, I don't "need" the second.....I just have this most intense addictive craving to own it....that's the juice...buying it and having it....I'm soooo addicted!

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I believe that just about everyone on TA will tell you " if you'e even thinking the least little bit about buying it - do so!" Trust your instincts! Here in my lovely state of Maryland we have so many convoluted, restricting gun laws that will come into effect on Oct 1st that it's a massive stampede to get as many firearms as possible before that date - the problem is that the state paperwork to get the handguns is taking 11 to12 weeks or more right now - and no one knows if the paperwork has to be completed by Oct 1 or just be in before Oct 1st! Things are going to get so bad here that DH and I are seriously thinking about firearm purchases for pieces that we've only casually considered in the past - because who knows if we'll ever be able to get them in the future!!Sigh.... So - since misery loves company and because we are all enablers on this forum, go call the lgs this minute and tell them to hold that revolver for you until you can get there to pay for it!!! Hee- hee - be sure to post pix and a range report!!!:)

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
You need them all. Hard to reload in a hurry.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...the problem is that the state paperwork to get the handguns is taking 11 to12 weeks or more right now...
Lord, have mercy! Am I ever glad that I live in Mississippi, where I can walk into a pawn shop or gun store, select a firearm, present my DL and Firearms Permit, plunk down my money, and take about ten minutes to fill out the paperwork...and I'm happily on my way!

Reactions: nechaev and Sekol

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
We could probably survive with just one lung...or one kidney...or one arm, one leg, one eye...but God gave us two. God also commanded Noah to have two of every creature on the ark. I'm thinkin' that's God's way of telling us he likes everything in twos so, rather than run the risk of offending God....;)...you'd better get another one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We could probably survive with just one lung...or one kidney...or one arm, one leg, one eye...but God gave us two. God also commanded Noah to have two of every creature on the ark. I'm thinkin' that's God's way of telling us he likes everything in twos so, rather than run the risk of offending God....;)...you'd better get another one.
LOL! I like your way of thinking!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crack me up...!! Convinced me for sure. I need one for each cajone...Noah commands it!

Hadn't thought of trade in either...thanks....but, but, but....then I'd only have one.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crack me up...!! Convinced me for sure. I need one for each cajone...Noah commands it!

Hadn't thought of trade in either...thanks....but, but, but....then I'd only have one.....
Yes!!!!!! But your gun is considered an extension of it soooooooo!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Yes you need one for regular and one for special occasions.

Reactions: MilProGuy
1 - 20 of 34 Posts