Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 1911. Never had one before of any make. I haven't fired it yet but have disassembled it and cleaned it. If I understand the 1911, when I release the slide, the hammer should remain in the cocked position. When I do it, it usually is in the half cocked position, sometimes fully cocked, and once or twice the hammer was complety down. I've tried it with an empty mag and with no mag. Is there something I'm not understanding or should I plan on sending it back? Is this something that might work fine after some rounds are put through it? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm, that is not normal. You're correct, the hammer should remain in a fully cocked position after dropping the slide.

I wish I could tell you what to check but I cannot. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will have an idea of what's going on with your gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The condition you describe is called hammer following. First of all you should NEVER drop the slide from lock on an empty chamber. That said the problem is that the hammer is falling off the sear when the slide slams closed. This is usually a problem on match grade target triggers and should not happen on a stock hammer/sear combination. Prevention: don't let the slide slam on an empty chamber. Repair: stronger sear/trigger spring, repair/replace hammer/sear as necessary. Suggestion: if new it needs to go back to the factory, if used, you need the attention of a competent 1911 'smith and a conversation with whoever sold this defective gun to you. Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.