Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are quite a few people on another Michigan specific forum I visit that do this while out and about with their firearms. This seems to have more to do with the OC crowd but there are more than a few CCer's on there that do it also. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Downright ugly idea? Personally I'd rather not take the chance of having to deal with any issues that could pop up if I forget to turn it off or unknowingly record something illegally.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't see the need. Conduct yourself lawfully and no issues should arise. (should being the operative word)

That and it's one more thing in my pockets next to my phone, wallet, knife, lighter, spare mag, pocket change and car keys.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Voice recorder?!!! Didn't work out so well for Nixon. I don't even want any witnesses. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
As long as you are a party to the conversation, the other(s) involved do not need to know you are recording.

If you are recording a third party conversation, you need permission (preferably written)

EDIT: Check State law --- it varies.

·
10,379 Posts
I use the recorder on my phone or a $35 recorder from WalMart that has a lock and the recording can be downloaded to my computer. I've been trying to find a good app for my phone that doesn't cost an arm and three legs to buy, but, so far everything I've seen has terrible reviews, so I'm not forking out the 10-15 bucks each to try 'em out.

And for those poo poo'in the idea, I liken my recorders to my sidearm. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. We don't carry them for only LEO encounters.

What if you're involved in a SD shooting? Would you rather have your own proof that what you did was necessary, or, hope and pray that there's some witness/functioning surveillance camera that's actually working *and* recording somewhere that'll back your story so you don't get put away for murder?

I'd rather provide for my own defense than rely on the kindness of strangers.

Just my take.

ETA: NYPD has a great point. Some states you have to notify that you are recording the other person. States like WI are a one party, so as long as I know I'm recording the conversation, all's well.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So maybe I misunderstood. The recorder would be on all day in your pocket?

My answer is still no, I wouldn't carry one.

I'm prone to having dumbass attacks and diarrhea of the mouth, I wouldn't want there to be record of that for my fiance or friends to find and use against me! ha

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
As long as you are a party to the conversation, the other(s) involved do not need to know you are recording.

If you are recording a third party conversation, you need permission (preferably written)

EDIT: Check State law --- it varies.
I'm with NYPD, the laws are the same here in Texas. As long as one party knows its being recorded you are ok, Michigan might be different.

That being said, I don't htink I would do it as a matter of course. Too much effort for no real benefit that I see.

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
My smart phone has a voice recorder on it as well as video. And I use it. It solved a neighborhood dispute with a father a son speeding while I was walking my dogs. I yelled slow down they hit the breaks and jumped out and on went the video. The cops showed up and said I was threatening them and I just showed the tape. it stopped everything dead in its tracks. In fact they went back down to them for some time. So I think they had some explaining to do.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I carried one for years to make notes when doing equipment pm's or repairs. Often thought about it but when you listen to the sound quality in a place with back ground noise most are a waste of effort.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hadn't ever given it a thought. Wouldn't even know where to check the law books for that here in NC. Not a bad Idea, but as far as the SD goes, most situations will be very stressful and very quick and I doubt most people would remember to turn it on and in the worst case be harmed while trying to turn it on when they should have been focused on presenting their weapon. As the saying goes, the less buttons and switches, or bells and whistles you have, the better. But I digress, to each his own and if you feel you need a recorder and it's legal, go for it.

EDIT: Having reread some of the later posts, I can see where the VR could be valuable when you OC. I very rarely ever OC, but when I do I have never been stopped or harassed. I was OC just last week in the parking lot of our apartments. I had just returned from work and the kids and I were taking the dog out. I had my 1911 clearly visible on my waist and as we were walking back to the apartment a police cruiser came into the parking lot and belined toward us. He pulled into a parking space as my kids were saying "Dad the 1911 must have scared him." I told them it's OK we werent doing anything wrong.
The officer looked our way, smiled, waved and reversed out. Now maybe it is my personality, my size, the tattoos, the kids, the small dog, I really don't know, but I really thought I was about to get a "stern" talking to. However, it wasn't the case, and again I can say I have yet to have any problems on the rare occasions that I do OC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You would be surprised what can be pulled up in a "bad" recording. Where I work, we video surveillance on transit vehicles. Quite often the audio contains useful things that are buried under the bus noise and passenger banter. A tool such as Audacity and some judicious use of filters will pull most things back out of the din.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
Since I dress like a Pirate most of the time, no one pays any attention to the parrot on my shoulder.

He has a photographic memory and a very good speaking voice.

But is a notorious liar, so much of what he repeats can't be used in court. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Years ago in a world now far far away, I used to do legal recordings for insurance work. I loved the recording, hated the equipment (very big and cumbersome in those days.

Now I have a pen, that records hours of voice. An MP3 player, that records more. A phone that like everyone says, does voice and video. If I need it, I can go to one of those functions quickly, to back up information, or copy others just in case.

Do I think it is necessary? NO, but it sure would be better than depending on my memory in many cases.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Voice recorders for remembering things you need to do is a great idea.

Trying to use one in a self defense situation is crazy. You need to be focused on what is happening now, not trying to get a voice recorder turned on. What’s it going to record you getting shot & killed because you tried to turn it on before defending yourself?

If I'm in a situation where I think something is going to escalate, logic suggest getting away from the situation before it escalates, not trying to record it for later.

Just my opinions!

Reactions: Freedom First

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do any of you carry voice recorders?
There are quite a few people on another Michigan specific forum I visit that do this while out and about with their firearms. This seems to have more to do with the OC crowd but there are more than a few CCer's on there that do it also. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Downright ugly idea? Personally I'd rather not take the chance of having to deal with any issues that could pop up if I forget to turn it off or unknowingly record something illegally.
I don't see the need. Conduct yourself lawfully and no issues should arise. (should being the operative word)
In my mind it comes down to one word, "Trust". Do I trust that I will be faithfully and correctly quoted in court by Johnny Law should he stop me illegally for OC? Nope. So I carry a mini video recorder as part of my EDC, even when CC. Stuff happens.

Regarding "seeing the need" there are plenty of times when people have been arrested or harassed for legal but challenging behavior. OC is a good example but there are others (tax resistors, Rights protesters, etc.).

It's a Kodak Mini and it has also been useful for snapping quick memos or photos as needed. It's only slightly larger than a credit card, stays charged for weeks and it drops into my back pocket whenever I leave the house. About 2 hours of video, good audio and it is waterproof... All for about $50. Good deal for major peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I guess it never occurred to me as a civilian, but maybe it should have. We had them when I was a LEO, but mostly used them for interviews to make sure we had the facts straight if the case went to court.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts