Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the Dixie Gun & Knife Show this Saturday. It's been a couple of years since I have been to this show. It is located at the State Fair Grounds in one of the large livestock exhibition buildings and takes place four times each year. I do not plan on buying anything big (expensive) because I just sent in my check for the condo I lease each year at Myrtle Beach for vacation. I could buy a high end AR-15 with all the bells and whistles or build five AR-15 for the price of that week at the beach. (Does anybody else equate everyday expenditures to what you could have used for guns or gun parts and accessories instead?) I do plan on going all "Joe Biden" (you know, touchy feely) on a few rifles and pistols I've been reading about and/or seeing on YouTube. If I do buy another AR-15 this Saturday you see my obituary in the News and Observer on Sunday. (So says my wife)

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Hmmm. A gun show in a livestock building. Do you take practice rounds against a side of beef? I guess that'll be a realistic penetration test!

[No livestock was harmed during the typing of this post.]

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Every three to four years I take the time to go to this thing.

Every three to four years I'm sorry I wasted the time, and money to get in.

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's you could go to a gun show and get some good deals. I
haven't seen many good deals at this in twenty years. I can usually do just as good at the local
shops.

It's kind of like shopping at Sam's Club or BJ's. You EXPECT you're getting a good deal because it's
a "warehouse" store selling in huge packages with huge volume of sales. If you're not careful though
and KNOW what you're buying, you're going to get burned.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Yep--like buying at a Pawn Shop--know what you are buying, how to check it out and what you can buy a new one for!
MY next door neighbor is a gun fanatic, let me say he is a gun fanatic buyer, the guy isn't much of a shot or very knowledgeable about them but likes to be surrounded with them.
he is an avid gun show person.
about 2 years ago he showed me his newly aquired purchase at the gun show-- a 750 dollar Remington ( marlin) lever action rifle that you can buy about anywhere for like under 500 bucks.
he then began offering to take me with him, pay entrance, buy me lunch and drive to and from if i would go with him.
I really don;t like gun shows that much myself.
I said hey man put BUDs web site on your smart phone and see what you can buy the gun for before buying at the gun show.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think the last time I found any good deals at gun shows was pre internet. 80's and early 90's there were still some good deals, now it is all the local shops selling at prices often higher than if you went to their shop. Last show I went to was during the drought and found a vendor selling primers, I bought 10k of primers.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I agree with dwhite and olfarhors. Gun shows are not always the great deal that you think they might be, but sometimes they can be.
I have bought two firearms at gunshows, and they were both good deals (not great deals). I knew what I wanted, had already done my research, and was prepared to negotiate. Negotiation is critical at gun shows. Even if they won't come down on the price, sometimes they'll throw in some extras, like an extra magazine, a tactical flashlight, or maybe 100 rounds of ammo. Sometimes they'll give you a discount if you pay cash.
I've also bought a couple guns online. You get the best price online, but then you have to factor in shipping charges, sales tax, and the fee your FFL charges to accept the transfer. Sometimes the shipping is free; and if you have access to a military base that has a gun club, you may be able to avoid sales tax.
I like to go to gun shows and see what's available. I usually buy my factory reload ammo there.
And it's hilarious to take gun newbies to their first gun show.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
We actually have a couple ammo vendors at the local gun show that have pretty good prices on the items I look at. OP I hope you find a good deal on an AR. Just have the wife send it to me after she kills you for buying it! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm going to the Dixie Gun & Knife Show this Saturday. It's been a couple of years since I have been to this show. It is located at the State Fair Grounds in one of the large livestock exhibition buildings and takes place four times each year. I do not plan on buying anything big (expensive) because I just sent in my check for the condo I lease each year at Myrtle Beach for vacation. I could buy a high end AR-15 with all the bells and whistles or build five AR-15 for the price of that week at the beach. (Does anybody else equate everyday expenditures to what you could have used for guns or gun parts and accessories instead?) I do plan on going all "Joe Biden" (you know, touchy feely) on a few rifles and pistols I've been reading about and/or seeing on YouTube. If I do buy another AR-15 this Saturday you see my obituary in the News and Observer on Sunday. (So says my wife)
I actually saw the billboard on 85 or maybe 95... that was an ad for that when I drove to and back from Virginia, West of Richmond last weekend. Have a great time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts