Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go with wet tumbling and ditched the sonic cleaner. Sonic cleaner will only be used for gun parts. Purchased a wet tumbler w/ stainless pins.A little lemon shine and dish soap and brass is like new. I did however notice a little tarnishing of brass after a few days of drying. Might be hard water.Wet tumbling is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
Toss a capfull of armorall car wash soap with wax or similar. You can probably cut back on the Dawn also. Your brass won't tarnish fast then.

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
Hmm, another convert. :D

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,283 Posts
I knew you would like it!

mind reader.jpg

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
when wet tumbling, the key is massive rinsing and full drying with either heat , forced air or both.

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
when wet tumbling, the key is massive rinsing and full drying with either heat , forced air or both.
I agree, I rinse well in cold water and then toss them in an old food dehydrator to dry them. Then they get stored. They do slowly loose the bright shine over time. I'm okay with that, I more want clean inside and out along with clean primer pockets than anything.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, I rinse well in cold water and then toss them in an old food dehydrator to dry them. Then they get stored. They do slowly loose the bright shine over time. I'm okay with that, I more want clean inside and out along with clean primer pockets than anything.
Its amazing how clean the pins get the primer pockets.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I still use the old fashioned tumbler to clean my brass, that and Beer.
I toss all the dirty brass in the tumbler, turn it on for 2 hours, go inside and drink 4-5 beers and come out, sift the media out and its all ready to go.
I am a simple kind of guy.

·
15,283 Posts
4-5 beers or bourbons, who cares how clean that brass is?

Where is the wench that brings the drinks?

:chug:

There she is!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I may one day go to wet tumbling, but only if I find a small poly drum cement mixer to use. I hate those rock tumblers with a passion.

Maybe you should use a little Jet Dry in your rinse, just like they do with dish washers to prevent water spots.

If you still have your old dry media tumbler, you can just throw the wet brass in it with a little liquid car wax and tumble until dry. Then you don't have to worry about the brass tarnishing for a long time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Frankford wet tumbler and tumble for 11/2 to 2 hrs. with Lemi shine and Dawn dish washing liquid than rinse with cold water and tumble once more for 1/2 hr with water & Turtle wax Zip wash.
Rinse again and dry in a dehydrator for 1 hr. brass looks like new & don't tarnish.

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
I have the Frankford wet tumbler and tumble for 11/2 to 2 hrs. with Lemi shine and Dawn dish washing liquid than rinse with cold water and tumble once more for 1/2 hr with water & Turtle wax Zip wash.
Rinse again and dry in a dehydrator for 1 hr. brass looks like new & don't tarnish.
I combine the Dawn and Car wash/wax in the first load, tumble for 3 hours (plus sometimes) and save the extra step of draining and refilling. Works well for me.

Use less Dawn or you'll get too many suds.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
4-5 beers or bourbons, who cares how clean that brass is?

Where is the wench that brings the drinks?

:chug:

There she is!
You must have had a little more than 4 or 5. I am seeing double.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Abour rhe only thing I use my sonic cleaner on is my wifes jewelry

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
I tumble my brass with walnut media. I too like to keep things simple. I don't care if the brass is pretty. Just clean. I mean, they're reloads after all.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I want my brass to be presentable because I take pride in my work.
I do not care if it is brilliantly polished myself.
cleaning is for inspection and for easier loading not to impress others as to how shiny and purdy it is.
just me, we all do what floats our boats in life.

Reactions: 57K and william

·
15,283 Posts
My reloads are more accurate, through my firearms, than over the counter ammo. They should LOOK at least as good.

2¢ before taxes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts