Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disposing of old shotgun...

5K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Czechbikr 
#1 ·
I have an old, single shot, twenty gauge shotgun a friend gave me back in 1975. It wasn't in good shape then and it hasn't gotten better with time. Front forearm doesn't stay on, rusted lightly, has a BB soldered on the front of the barrel for a sight.

This thing has zero value.

How do I get rid of this thing?

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS
#4 ·
Yes, it functions perfectly.. It's taking up room in the safe, room I could use for other things.

I also came into my father's Reminton 1100 when he passed. Guy I work with has been a state champion skeet and trap shooter so I asked him if he'd want it. Guy was honest and said it may be worth more money than he's willing to pay. Did some research and it's worth far more than I imagined. Now it's a "family heirloom".

Dad probably ran a box of shells through it before he gave up hunting. Thing is about mint.

#22 ·
I think that the going rate around Chiraq is a 100.00 WalMart card.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS
#8 ·
I am a certified Hunter Education instructor in Kansas. We had a lady donate a old 12 gauge single shotgun it was really rough. Me and some other instructors made a visual tool for classes. We dropped a 20 gauge shell down the barrel tied it down to a shooting bench loaded it with a good field load tried a string to the trigger pulled the hammer back. Backed to a safe distance a blew it up. Works great for class. Just a idea. donate it to your local Hunter Education program

#14 ·
Car Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel

#16 ·
Fix the forearm. Brass wool the rust, touch up w/cold blue. Invest a little time to make it serviceable.

Then either sell it, or clean it up, oil it up, break it down, seal it in a tube w/desiccant and a box of ammo.

Make it a cache gun.

#17 ·
Sounds like an easy but interesting project. We would be more than happy for you to send it to us as a gift. Second from left started out in a bit better condition than what you described but the same results should be possible.

Shelf Bookcase Wood Building Book

#18 ·
My favorite shotgun is a Japaneses made single shot that came to me free, as a box of parts. The chock had been cut off with a hacksaw starting in 5 different places and at different lengths from the end of the barrel. little to no blueing, butt plate, and like me missing a few screws. Trimmed up the muzzle. Scrounged in the shed and found any "replacement" screws needed. Added a cheap lace on recoil pad, and painted the metal with a can of paint that was left over from something else. Got 0$ in this thing, it's been rode hard and put up wet time and time again. 30 years later, and a lot nicer rifles & shotguns, it's still the first grab a go long gun I got.

#19 ·
If you see it as a family heirloom I encourage you to keep it. Fond memories are sometimes hard to come by.
But, Remember. I don't know what it's worth or what it needs. But I will make an offer if you want to get rid of it. I won't blow it up or expect to get it for free. Usually it cost me more than it's worth to fix up. Not for sale or make a profit. Just something to do.

#20 ·
I am so extremely pleased that you started this post. See, I have an old shotgun sitting around that I was given by my brother who picked it up at a gun show decades ago.

The guy he bought it from told him it was a parts piece, and it did not have any of the inner working mechanics, so little brother bought it for next to nothing. Actually, knowing little brother, he probably got the guy to give him a few dollars to haul it off for him.

After reading your post and some of the idea's others presented for repurposing of your shotgun, I thought well go take a look at my piece gun and see if it might be repurposed at a teaching prop.

So, I hit Google up on a search, which was a wealth of information. I was also linked over to a few really good videos on youtube. Well come to find out, it is a working, functional, albeit strange in operation shotgun built by Winchester in 1912. The model is the Winchester 1911SL, the SL stands for self-loading. It has over the years earned the nickname of "The Widow maker".

Sorry, I did not intend to take away from the original post, this is where the original post lead me. Thank you for inspiring me to do some research and pick up the education.

#21 ·
I love old shotguns. I have salvaged two of them. This one, an old Stevens, revealed itself to be a beautiful firearm that was hidden under 100 years of normal wear'n'tear.

Wood Gesture Art Creative arts Font

It is fully functional. I use only low brass lead shot in it.

The other single-barrel I'm restoring was listed as a parts-donor-only piece of junk at my local gun store. (No pics.) It is a cheap hardware store model from over 100 years ago that I picked it up for $20, and it's slowly coming back to life.

I'm not the only one. Based on what others have said in this thread, there are a number of us who enjoy salvaging those old scatter-guns, and are willing to part with some $$ plus shipping, just for a chance to restore them. List it in the firearms classified forum and see what kind of responses you get.

#23 ·
This is a Stevens model 54, 410 bore made sometime between 1933 and 1943. I picked up at the gun show. It was missing the bolt and in pretty bad shape. I spent much money at numrich and ebay buying parts that they said fit this gun. Wrong. It took me over a year and a half and more money to finally find the correct parts. Some gunsmiths said I should give up and let it go. Now I have a drawer full of parts that don't fit and more money in it than it ever will be worth. The collectors say it's worth little. Wrong. Some day I will leave it for my Great Grandson. Priceless.
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Hardwood

#24 ·
My Dad's old single shot, it's branded Texas Jack Rabbit and was sold through either Montgomery Wards or Sears I can't recall which, the breech end of the barrel shows a manufacture date of Aug. 11, 1896 making it over 120 years old.
It's a 12ga. with a 31.5 inch barrel My Dad used to call it Long Tom, I inherited it when Dad died and I'll keep it forever

Attachments

#25 ·
Some People buy them as plinkers. Some as their kids first gun. For rabbit or squirrel gun. Some years later for reason or no they get stuck back in the corner, garage or attics and forgotten about. Worn, scratched and scared. This one is a Marlin Glenfield 15. Made in 1979. In bad shape and ready for the scrap yard, Some Say.
But this one, Ready for another 40 years and more.
Wood Air gun Musical instrument Shotgun Gun accessory

#26 ·
This one is a 1953 Remington 550-1. In looks and wear not in bad shape at all. I found it in a pawn shop at a price more than what it was worth. But, me I had to have it. First trip to the range. Jam every other shot. Took it apart. Inspecting each part as I went. Everything seemed in good shape. Except. Seems someone at some time took this thing apart. Putting it back together they made one bad mistake.
They said it would difficult and costly to fix.
Sell it for parts they said.
All the parts laid spread out on the table for over two weeks as I tried to figure out what to do.
Then one day I decided to try this. And I did. And it worked. And it worked great.
Now I can load it with shorts, longs and LR and it spits them out one after the other in any combination in any order.
When this gun and many many other things were made. And many many years before and some years
after. You wore them out, you broke them AND you Repaired them and started over again. They were made to be repaired and used years after years. Unlike a lot of things today.
If you think about it. These guns of old are really hard to wear down to where they can't be repaired . Just a little maintenance.
Wood Office supplies Wood stain Hardwood Door handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.