Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject came up at work today; someone asked “What is the best way to dispose of a gun that is not worth fixing?”

I have never even thought about it and don’t have a clue on how I would go about it.

What has others done in this situation?

·
17,581 Posts
The police will take it and destroy it, or wait for a gun buy-back if they have them in your area. Or give it to your gunsmith to use for parts.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Glenwolde is correct most police depts will take them, but don't be alarmed if they start asking questions about the who, what, when and wherethegun came from...

Sent me a pm and I will give you my address.... I dig thru pawn shop and flea markets for old broken guns as well as fixer uppers. Some of it can become scrap metal some my be worth saving a few can become wall hanger/art...

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Or most simply - a bandsaw.
Or you could shoot it with a gun that does work.
Purely as a guess there would be no legal consequences to the act of destroying a gun that is properly owned and is not evidence in a criminal matter. Although given the number of pages of stupid regulations - I'm actually not all too sure of that.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I would agree with the fellas. You could give it to a gunsmith, or even your LGS so that it has a paper trail. If they are a decent shop they should be able to help you with this. Or, if you know how to forge knives, you could make a blade out of it!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Or most simply - a bandsaw.
Uhhh....no. According to the BATFE, it must be torch cut or chop sawed, 3 cuts at an angle. LEO use a chop saw with a 3/8-1/2" thick blade. Bandsaw has a thin kerf, and the frame/receiver is too easily welded back together that way.

You can destroy it yourself if you have a torch. Simply make before/after pics, clearly showing the serial number. I like the gunsmith idea, or you could part it out and sell the parts here. The receiver/frame is technically the "firearm".

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Uhhh....no. According to the BATFE, it must be torch cut or chop sawed, 3 cuts at an angle. LEO use a chop saw with a 3/8-1/2" thick blade. Bandsaw has a thin kerf, and the frame/receiver is too easily welded back together that way.

You can destroy it yourself if you have a torch. Simply make before/after pics, clearly showing the serial number. I like the gunsmith idea, or you could part it out and sell the parts here. The receiver/frame is technically the "firearm".
Thanks for the info. There's always somebody who knows!
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a specification for which blade to use.

Reactions: A-TEAM 513

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
You can always do like the god Father, break it into several pieces and chunk the pieces down a sewer vent. In case anyone is wondering, that wasn't a Taurus the God Father broke so easily. That apparently happened before Taurus started it's company!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Thanks for the info. There's always somebody who knows!
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a specification for which blade to use.
No real "spec" on the blade, they just use one that thick to render the firearm unusable. Usually, "buyback" guns are chopped as a whole, and dumped immediately into a smelter. The object is to render the frame/receiver unusable. Buddy had an AR he'd screwed up, and simply smashed the cast receiver with a sledgehammer until it was in several pieces. Any LEO/gunsmith/FFL usually can declare it "destroyed". The pics are merely to CYA.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have rescued a couple such guns. The last one was my PT99 which is a very accurate and reliable firearm.

You could also try gun broker. List it with an accurate, honest description and good pics, you never know what someone will buy on there. Shipped thru the FFL process all legal matters are taken care of.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
There was a segment on the local news this morning about the police destroying firearms that had been seized or turned in. So.... that isan option.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
A bunch of years ago, I watched, as a power plant welder, cut up a 2/3rds full 55 gal. drum of handguns for a city police department. Some nearly made tears come to my eye. Nothing was sacred.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I never thought about it before. Good question and good info.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
If you want to sell it list it on Gunbroker as a used gun for parts. You'll get a little something for it, and someone else wil get a chance to fix a gun that perhaps they can use right now.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of good ideas here, thanks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When I was young and dumb, I sawed the barrel and stock off of a Winchester model 1912 boy's rifle to make a pistol. Paid $3 for the rifle. Tossed the bolt, receiver, and stock out in the woods about a mile apart from each other. Stupid things we do when we were young. Anyone else have a story? I'd like to hear it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts