Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
When was the "Golden Era of American Morality"?

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
When was the "Golden Era of American Morality"?
Believe that ended in the America's about the time it was discovered the earth wasn't flat.

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sure, it's always been around in small doses, but today(think the Hildabeast)they flaunt it as if they're above the law.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I believe it was Edmund Burke who said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

It's not Hillary or Trump, liberals or conservatives, Christians or Muslims. It's all of us. It's when we see things that go against our beliefs and values and do or say nothing. And I'm not endorsing violence. How many of you Trump supporters campaigned for him, rang doorbells or manned the phone banks? Any Hillary advocates who did this? Or how many of you have one set of values for Sunday and another for the rest of the week? Not going to vote? Then don't complain. This is your chance to make your statement. When I vote I understand that there is almost no chance it will make a difference one way or the other, but I still do it because I believe it's my civic duty.

Just be realistic. You aren't going to have any effect on the circuses going on right now. Probably not the next time either. But how about getting your friends and neighbors and the people in your church together and discuss the type of local government you want. Like any grass-roots effort, it begins small. But the larger your group the more attention it draws, and the politicians will come knocking. You now represent a voting bloc and they covet votes.

Otherwise, just keep bemoaning the decline of our civilization. It's your choice. :soapbox:

·
Registered
16,881 Posts
Dear Mr. Thunder,

Turn off the tv. Pretend it doesn't exist.
That is easy to do because nothing on it matters.
Stop searching for bad news on the internet.
The internet makes tv look like Dr. Seuss.
Go outside. Watch a sunset. Make a friend. Pet a dog. Read a good book.
The moment an activity affects my state of mind or health negatively, guess what?
I stop that activity.
Talking or worrying about things never changed anything. Being angry is not a profession.
In all seriousness, most in here probably think my attitude is a bit irreverant. That I don't care.
I just learned to pay attention to what I can change and to Hell with the rest.
Life is too short, the grass is too tall and I am way too good looking to
ruin my face with worry lines.

Your friend,
Rickenbacher39

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!
I said turn off that stupid tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dear Mr. Thunder,

Turn off the tv. Pretend it doesn't exist.
That is easy to do because nothing on it matters.
Stop searching for bad news on the internet.
The internet makes tv look like Dr. Seuss.
Go outside. Watch a sunset. Make a friend. Pet a dog. Read a good book.
The moment an activity affects my state of mind or health negatively, guess what?
I stop that activity.
Talking or worrying about things never changed anything. Being angry is not a profession.
In all seriousness, most in here probably think my attitude is a bit irreverant. That I don't care.
I just learned to pay attention to what I can change and to Hell with the rest.
Life is too short, the grass is too tall and I am way too good looking to
ruin my face with worry lines.

Your friend,
Rickenbacher39

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!
I said turn off that stupid tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I decided to watch something on the light side, looking through the comedy section, I flipped on "The Big Lebowski" figuring it would give me a few chuckles.
I'm now on the living room floor, lying in the fetal position. What in the hell did I just watch?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
What corruption happens to exist in the US is very minor compared to every third world country I've ever been in. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expect better, just throwing that out there for perspective.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
We lost our moral compass a long time ago. Our politicians and other leaders are merely a reflection of what we want because we let them have the power. When a known liar and probable felon is up against a reality tv star, with a boat ton of his own baggage as well, for POTUS, we need only look into the mirror to see why.

Reactions: Wino and Ralph_Kirk

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Sometimes, it nearly seems the country runs on corruption, and I think it does, down to the most common county official, the commissioners. As a kid, I had an uncle in an adjacent county who was a county precinct commissioner. Every time we visited them, and he had a new Crown Vic or Grand Marqui, dad would say "The county just bought a new maintainer (road grader)! Still, he stayed in office until he retired.

He was once in a dead tie, and they went to a patient in the hospital with pneumonia to break the tie. The patient, a lawyer, cast his vote for my uncle.

There are kickbacks at every level of government and in the contractors and vendors they hire, even through the most heavily regulated industries. Some corruption is much larger and more flagrant, nearly throwing it in the Taxpayers face. I have seen it first hand on a local basis, and that is all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
I decided to watch something on the light side, looking through the comedy section, I flipped on "The Big Lebowski" figuring it would give me a few chuckles.
I'm now on the living room floor, lying in the fetal position. What in the hell did I just watch?
Back in the late 1970s, my aunt and uncle bought one of the 10' satellite dishes. My uncle vegetated in front of the TV for about two months watching all the movies he could get. Finally he decided he might actually see if he could find some educational programs to expand his mind. He said he looked through the guide and finally found one that looked promising...History of the World, Part 1, by Mel Brooks. :p

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
We lost our moral compass a long time ago. Our politicians and other leaders are merely a reflection of what we want because we let them have the power. When a known liar and probable felon is up against a reality tv star, with a boat ton of his own baggage as well, for POTUS, we need only look into the mirror to see why.
Why is it, with everything Trump has done in his life, with all the investments he made, jobs he created, and wealth he created, that some people continue to refer to him as "a reality TV star" and usually in a derogatory manner?

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Morals were lost when slavery began in America . Slavery in America - Black History - HISTORY.com . America became divided because of slavery . Man should have known that slavery was not right and should have abided by Gods commandments and not by Mans laws . Cain killed Abel over being jealous and that was immoral but man eat the apple and that was his first Sin .

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Morals were lost when slavery began in America . Slavery in America - Black History - HISTORY.com . America became divided because of slavery . Man should have known that slavery was not right and should have abided by Gods commandments and not by Mans laws . Cain killed Abel over being jealous and that was immoral but man eat the apple and that was his first Sin .
The Christian Abolition movement began even as the first slaves came to America--it was condemned right off the boat. By the time the Constitution was signed, even the southern slaveholders agreed that slavery was a sin and they should stop doing it...but the money was too good to stop. What makes slavery so condemnable in America is that they did know it was wrong, they knew it all along.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
I only have one comment on the state of American politics and will equate it to a personal experience.

When I joined my current country club three years ago, I encountered one member named Gary who is a borderline sociopath. Gary has no regard for the rules of golf, even at the exceptionally liberal interpretation generally found in a senior's league, especially here (members of other clubs marvel at the liberties our club grants players). He's the kind of person who would cheat when he plays by himself, just to stay in practice at cheating.

Gary will do anything to try to give himself any advantage he can and won't even be shamed into playing an fair match. He uses tees in the fairway because he "can't hit a 3 wood off the grass". He fluffs the grass up into 3" mounds to rest his ball on, or moves the ball several feet for a clear shot past trees. He is impervious to criticism and totally without ethics, and everyone just laughs it off as Gary being Gary.

The only up side is that even with all his cheating and rule breaking, he's a pretty poor golfer.

I finally told someone that I can't blame him for the way he is. I blame the other members for allowing him to be the way he is.

We really do get the government we deserve and should demand better.

Reactions: trooperc7 and NotSo

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
I think someone at History.com needs to study history. Slavery didn't divide the country, state's rights did. Lincoln himself said that if he could hold the union together and not free one slave, he'd do it. In reality, he signed the emancipation proclamation in 1863 to keep the British, who were very much anti slavery, from aiding the South. Making slavery an issue was a political move.

I see they actually did see fit to admit in passing that the civil war was not over slavery.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
We lost our morals when Bill Clinton looked into the face of America and said " I did not have sex with that woman".
If the POTUS can lie and cheat why can't the rest of us?
Possibly the best 1st post ever!

Welcome to the forum. :hello:

To the OP, I agree and have to watch out or my BP will exceed the limits my doctor wishes for me to keep it within.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I only have one comment on the state of American politics and will equate it to a personal experience.

When I joined my current country club three years ago, I encountered one member named Gary who is a borderline sociopath. Gary has no regard for the rules of golf, even at the exceptionally liberal interpretation generally found in a senior's league, especially here (members of other clubs marvel at the liberties our club grants players). He's the kind of person who would cheat when he plays by himself, just to stay in practice at cheating.

Gary will do anything to try to give himself any advantage he can and won't even be shamed into playing an fair match. He uses tees in the fairway because he "can't hit a 3 wood off the grass". He fluffs the grass up into 3" mounds to rest his ball on, or moves the ball several feet for a clear shot past trees. He is impervious to criticism and totally without ethics, and everyone just laughs it off as Gary being Gary.

The only up side is that even with all his cheating and rule breaking, he's a pretty poor golfer.

I finally told someone that I can't blame him for the way he is. I blame the other members for allowing him to be the way he is.

We really do get the government we deserve and should demand better.
Exactly! We can no longer allow this type of behavior, starting with our politicians.

·
Registered
554 Posts
rollin thunder said:
This one, coupled with the first one has me so upset, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

If you have NetFlix, I suggest you watch them...
...Is this so we cannot sleep together ;)

More seriously -- We have politicians, lawyers, law enforcement (people that are suppose to be looked up to) that has lost a great deal of respect for their actions and we expect others including our children to behave differently.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts