Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though it's everywhere. When and where did we lose our moral compass?
I watched a couple of documentaries today and I find I'm overwhelmed with anger. The first documentary I watched was "The Big Short" on NetFlix. It's about shorting the mortgage divisions of the banking industry. I won't get into the meat and potatoes of it, but you need to watch it.
At the very end, these guys figure out the government knew all about it and that every day Americans would pay for this travesty.

One guy said: "The politicians are corrupt, the banking industry is corrupt. Jeez, even baseball is corrupt"

The other documentary I watched was ESPN's 30 for 30 "Fantastic Lies", also on NetFlix. It's about the Duke LaCrosse players. These kids were absolutely railroaded because several different groups had an agenda.
ESPN to air '30 for 30' on Duke lacrosse case March 13 | The Chronicle

This one, coupled with the first one has me so upset, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

If you have NetFlix, I suggest you watch them. Just not back to back

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I think corruption has always been a part of politics but due to media saturation, we get
more information that just the tip of the iceberg so to speak these days. I am watching
the CNN miniseries The Seventies and some of the shenanigans of the Nixon administration
certainly would qualify as corrupt. You can go back even further into other periods and find
similar behavior by elected officials. Like the old saying goes "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

·
21,974 Posts
It took me several days to start to get over the FBI director's betrayal. And then there's Tom Brady...

In short (for a change) I feel your pain.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Stop, please. You can't blame politicians for the way people act. The Big Short is a Hollywood movie, not a documentary. As such it isn't necessarily historically accurate. Here's a reference if you are interested:

7 Movies That Tell The Real Story Behind the Financial Crisis - Fortune

Be sure to have your objective viewer glasses on, some of these are rated "Liberal".

The end result is that The Great Recession started in 2007, during the tenure of Bush the Second. The bailouts started in 2008, same pres. But I will go to my grave with the belief that Tim Geithner should be locked up with all his Wall Street cronies. Not because he did anything to cause it, he obstructed the prosecution of the guilty bastards who did. To his credit, Bush the Second started the bailouts that Obama continued. Without them our economy would still be in the toilet. Popular or not, they are the reason we are enjoying what prosperity we have today.

"Fantastic Lies" is a tragedy on a whole 'nother level. A young woman's lies, taken as gospel, destroyed several young men's lives. ESPN's 30 for 30 and 60 for 60 documentaries have the quality I wished other networks had.

So far as morals, you have to take responsibility and accountability for your own actions. Bill Clinton is the reason police are being shot at alarming numbers? Give me a break. Morons with guns is the reason police are being shot. Bill Clinton is the reason for unwed mothers? For a coarse joke, sure. In reality, nope.

My opinion? People behave that way because they have no moral compass. A belief system that tells them right from wrong, Christian or otherwise. And adhering to that system in their daily lives. That's what scares people about Muslims, that they live their religion.

People make their choices. They have to take responsibility for them.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Watched 'em both. Good stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think corruption has always been a part of politics but due to media saturation, we get
more information that just the tip of the iceberg so to speak these days. I am watching
the CNN miniseries The Seventies and some of the shenanigans of the Nixon administration
certainly would qualify as corrupt. You can go back even further into other periods and find
similar behavior by elected officials. Like the old saying goes "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
Oh, hecks, yes. Go back to Teapot Dome in 1920 or the Tammany Hall shenanigans for over a hundred years of NYC politics.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nothing has really changed, it's just that it all gets out now. A lot of stuff was locally reported, and would either barely make the national press, or just stay local. and unless it was HUGE, it would sputter out in a week or so. Now, it gets repeated endlessly, on TV, and on the net. Cameras catch all kinds of stuff that was covered up before, good and bad. People really haven't changed all that much, and IMHO, they never really will.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So far as morals, you have to take responsibility and accountability for your own actions.

My opinion? People behave that way because they have no moral compass. A belief system that tells them right from wrong, Christian or otherwise. And adhering to that system in their daily lives.

People make their choices. They have to take responsibility for them.

100% true.

i agree with your post in its entirety, but these are the key points that make it IMHO.

As as a society, we are being told how we should think not by the government, but by so-called advocacy groups. Then they slap pressure on the government, which in turn starts making laws and the next thing you know, freedom of speech or expression only applies within certain laws... It's a joke.

But it all starts because someone doesn't want to be responsible for something they have done, or how they feel about something. Instead of standing up and saying "Yup, I did it!", they want to blame their actions on something or someone else, then they get a group to agree with them, then they throw a fit (demonstrate), and the next thing you know, the thing that caused them to act stupid in the first place is banned.

the government IS at fault, but only because it listens to those that don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I believe that the loss of morality was in a big part caused by the welfare system. When you pay people for immoral behavior you get more of it. examples more kids out of wedlock +more money. Disability because of drug use. Also the celebration of thugs that penetrates society especially in music and sports

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I believe that the loss of morality was in a big part caused by the welfare system. When you pay people for immoral behavior you get more of it. examples more kids out of wedlock +more money. Disability because of drug use. Also the celebration of thugs that penetrates society especially in music and sports
Then people on welfare would be the least moral, which is not the case. Welfare does cause certain kinds of problems, but the overall immorality of society isn't caused by welfare. More likely, the immorality causes welfare...welfare is a bandage and easy out for problems caused by social immorality.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We lost our morals when Bill Clinton looked into the face of America and said " I did not have sex with that woman".
If the POTUS can lie and cheat why can't the rest of us?
No; we lost our morality as we slowly allowed the nuclear family to be destroyed, and public schools were turned into indoctrination centers by the Federal Government. Forcing local/state schools into submission to the Agenda (by witholding "Federal Funds", aka, your tax dollars they took to buy votes/submission), and requiring indoctrination into alternative lifestyles, removing any religious references, demanding changes to curriculum for "sympathy", "diversity", etc. Also, in the 60's the "women's movement" started to take off, which was nothing more than businesses seeking a new source of cheap labor, and latch-key kids became "trendy", so the family was further decimated. Stay at home Moms were looked down upon, as less-than-up-to-date second class women.

Hollywood and commercials on TV further destroy the traditional religious, moral, family unit, too. The "gimmedat" society has been created, dependent for existence on the Agenda-driven politicians and U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

:icon_ rocker:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think immorality arises when a person concludes in his heart that he can't lose anything as a consequence of his actions. That can come at the top when he thinks he's too powerful to be punished and at the bottom when he thinks he has nothing left for anyone to take.

But it's still a matter of degrees. A person with a little bit of power or position knows he can push back a little bit on consequences. If he has more power, he knows he can push back on more consequences. The really powerful people can push back on lots of consequences.

So we see the most thorough corruption from high government officials and from prisoners in maximum security prisons. When I say "thorough" corruption, I mean people who cheat on little things without even casual thought just as much as they cheat on big things with deliberate planning. A thoroughly corrupt man will steal candy from a baby and then embezzle millions from his company.

This isn't the same thing as "bad morals." Some people have moral values I don't agree with, and my disagreement might be vigorous. But that doesn't mean they're corrupt or even immoral. It doesn't mean his morality is "just as good as mine," either, so his morality might be intolerable if it's going to get me killed.

For instance, the "war against drugs" is based on a moral stance--highly so--but that moral stance is itself morally questionable, and the war on drugs has certainly led to immoral social consequences...like arresting an old man for donut glaze droppings and calling that a "good arrest."

The "war on guns" displays similar problems. "Get rid of guns" is certainly a moral stance, but where would it take us? And is it not alread morally questionable even on its face?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Then people on welfare would be the least moral, which is not the case. Welfare does cause certain kinds of problems, but the overall immorality of society isn't caused by welfare. More likely, the immorality causes welfare...welfare is a bandage and easy out for problems caused by social immorality.

I don't agree with you as I find children out of wedlock as a morality problem increased by welfare. and with no Father/Family they (the children) descend into larger morality decline IE gangs become their "real family" and the drugs and crime that comes with it increases which further degrades the moral fiber of the country

Reactions: powrguy

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I don't agree with you as I find children out of wedlock as a morality problem increased by welfare. and with no Father/Family they (the children) descend into larger morality decline IE gangs become their "real family" and the drugs and crime that comes with it increases which further degrades the moral fiber of the country
There was a particular welfare program--Aid to Dependent Children--that tended to cause such problems because it required that a man not be in the home. However, ADC was created in 1934...and did not cause a "no father" problem in itself. It became a facilitator to the "no father" problem among poor women only after society as a whole decided "no father" was chic among wealthier women, which started some time in the 50s and got accelerated by the third wave of feminism ("A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"). Murphy Brown was not on welfare, and Dan Quayle was right.

The power of street gangs today is directly a product of the war on drugs, just as the power of organized crime leaped significantly with Prohibition and various other vice laws.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Pretty much my ideas. Govt. Corruption has been around since roman days. Look back at the civil war it was everywhere. I feel we know about it more these days is because of the media. We all see and hear it. But do nothing because there's nothing we can do as individuals. If you look back through history people had the balls to come together and stand up to the government. As our founding fathers did against England. People then would give up everything they had to better the country they lived in hoping for a better life. Today people just think about themselves how they can have more than the neighborhood around them . arrggg just pisses me off. Ok stepping down off the soap box . Next?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Corruption in politics and financial markets vs morality - professions that cannot lose that which they never had. Blaming welfare, the downtrodden, poor, destitute, food stamps, unemployment benefits, government programs to help them is scapegoating at it's finest. Politicians and financial people have ripped off the tax payers and citizens more than the needy throughout history ever have and it's no different today than before.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Maybe we lost our moral compass January 17, 1940. That's the day the censors allowed Clark Gable to say "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn", in Gone With The Wind. He was allowed to swear in a movie for the first time ever because he was "a star". If Hattie McDaniel had said it, the country would have been up in arms.

:p

Reactions: Ralph_Kirk
1 - 20 of 47 Posts