Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very rare for me to decide to return a gun I just bought. This afternoon I bought a 4-5/8" Blackhawk convertible .38/.357/9mm. Getting home and cleaning off the preservative, I found both cylinders were stained in the finish. The black oxide was done when it was contaminated, or something was cooked into the cylinders during heat treat. We'll get to see how Fin Feather Fur handles it.

Maloy

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm very disappointed in their automatics. I sold all I had but one that the wife gave me for Christmas and moved on to Taurus. Taurus was an upgrade from Ruger to me with the issues I had with them.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've had several dealing with Ruger, one going back to 1979. All have been satisfactorily resolved but that '79 episode took 9 months and a letter from the office of the Secretary of State of Hawaii to finally break it loose. I also found out that I did not like any of the center fire semi autos. All the revolver issues have been satisfactory after resolution. My Ruger Standard Model 22 from back in the 60's has been flawless and continues. My NMBH 357/9MM has very close to 30,000 rounds of hand loads thru it since 1979. I kinda watch for used Ruger revolvers; especially any of the SIX series and the single actions. GP-100....not so much.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have to say, Fin Feather Fur in Canton, Oh looked it over and felt it was defective as well. They credited the money back to my account. I'll have to keep my eyes open for another.

Maloy
Fin Feather Fur is a pretty good outfitter chain...I go there whenever we are over in Ohio, visiting the grandkids.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've had 8 Rugers in my life time, two revolvers , three auto loading pistols and three rifles. Not a bad one in the lot. I had a early SR 40 and ran about 4000 rounds through it without a failure. Traded it off to just have more common loads. Big mistake, I miss it.
I have an AR556 MPR and its the most accurate rifle I have owned other than my Ruger American in .308.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have a Security Six 357 , SP101 357 , LCR357 & a 10/22 .. Thats a low count for me ... I have had as many as 25+ of their brand in my safe at times .. .. Im at a crossroads with my next revolver purchase .. A LCR38 , S&W 442 PC ,Taurus 856UL, Charter Police 38spl, Charter Boomer 44spl or wait and get the LCRx 357 with a 3 inch barrel...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have to say, Fin Feather Fur in Canton, Oh looked it over and felt it was defective as well. They credited the money back to my account. I'll have to keep my eyes open for another.

Maloy

Their powder selection and prices are hard to beat, cheaper for me to buy from them then any online supplier. Primer prices are also pretty good. Never have been to their Canton store but a couple others.

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts

Maloy
Excellent referral for outstanding customer service!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the LCRx in .38 Spl +P with the 3" barrel. It's a bit of a beast with +P ammo. However it is surprisingly accurate. I've put about 900 rounds through it, and no signs of frame stretching with all the shooting.

However, the .22 model has a horrible double action trigger pull. So I passed on one of them and I've checked others and they are the same. I think making it an 8 shot made the camming angles too steep.

Maloy

I have a Security Six 357 , SP101 357 , LCR357 & a 10/22 .. Thats a low count for me ... I have had as many as 25+ of their brand in my safe at times .. .. Im at a crossroads with my next revolver purchase .. A LCR38 , S&W 442 PC ,Taurus 856UL, Charter Police 38spl, Charter Boomer 44spl or wait and get the LCRx 357 with a 3 inch barrel...

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
I've had 8 Rugers in my life time, two revolvers , three auto loading pistols and three rifles. Not a bad one in the lot. I had a early SR 40 and ran about 4000 rounds through it without a failure. Traded it off to just have more common loads. Big mistake, I miss it.
I have an AR556 MPR and its the most accurate rifle I have owned other than my Ruger American in .308.

I have always gotten good service from my Rugers as well, the one time that I needed help on a repair that was really old and shot a bunch they stepped up and helped big time.
I have or do own a Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag, a single six, a Ruger 77 RSI, a mk 3, have owned a mK 2 and a mark 22/45 and a Ruger 44 carbine over the years.
never warmed up to the Ruger semis at all, they all seem top heavy and bulky in my hands.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've never had an issue with any of my Rugers. They are all excellent, solid shooters. I've won many prizes with my Bicentennial Super Blackhawk that I picked up new in 1976 for the princely sum of $129.95. The only issue I've ever had with a Ruger was an early New Model Blackhawk in .41 Magnum; the chamber throats were too tight but it shot well just the same. Some careful lapping would have cured that easily. I traded it off and wish I hadn't - it had a low serial number (XXXX697).

The only time I had to work with their customer service was when I honed the hammer sear notch in my Super Blackhawk a bit too much and the transfer bar wouldn't operate properly. I sent it back and they rebuilt the action, tuned it and returned it. It was and still is superb!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
My SR22 runs flawless unless I get super cheap or 1200 or less FPS ammo. CCI and Agula can run 1000 round range sessions where the federal "For Semi autos" barely make it though a mag before not fully ejecting, getting completely stuck in the chamber, fail to fire, or fail to fire & fail to eject combo.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I judge companies by how they handle problems Ruger, Rock Island, Dillon and Lee are 4 companies that have always exceeded my expectations when I have had a problem with their products up to and including replacing a 40 + year old single six that I had sent in for repair they paid the ffl transfer fee and shipping both ways total replacement cost was $180.00 for a New Stainless 5.5 inch convertible single six

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have the LCRx in .38 Spl +P with the 3" barrel. It's a bit of a beast with +P ammo. However it is surprisingly accurate. I've put about 900 rounds through it, and no signs of frame stretching with all the shooting.

However, the .22 model has a horrible double action trigger pull. So I passed on one of them and I've checked others and they are the same. I think making it an 8 shot made the camming angles too steep.

Maloy
That hard or strong double action trigger pull is necessary for Rimfire Cartridges. If you think the 22 LCR is tough try a Taurus mod 94!

Reactions: loudviking
1 - 17 of 17 Posts