Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by cheaper than dirt today.
They certainly had plenty of ammo, but probably because no-one wants to pay their prices.
$100 for a 100 round of .40 S&W :(. I recently purchased the exact same ammo for about $25 at walmart.
Well, i passed on it, and noticed that no-one was really interested in buying ammo there.
I'm hoping this is a good sign that people are not willing to pay that much, and prices will drop.
I dont think i'll be shopping there again.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yea and they also get you with the warehouse A,B,C,D BS to and charge you well over average shipping charges. I refuse to buy anything from them for a while now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My LGS has had some ammo. It wasn't range / practice ammo but was Buffalo Bore SD ammo. The cost was above $1 per bang, which was more than I was willing to pay. My WMs have had nothing apart from some rifle & shotgun ammo. I continue to watch.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
On Sat I paid $20.00 for a 50rd box of PMC fmj 9mm at my LGS. Before all this mess I think it was $14 or $15 a box. Oh well at least they have some.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have been in their Dallas area store. They had everything and it was cheaper than gold maybe...I agree with everyone above. There are on my do not shop list. Hopefully they will see that the market is changing and start dropping prices.

·
Registered
676 Posts
@ccviper-I could buy 4 1/2 boxes of the same round Starfire for that price 10 miles from me! Geezzz..$89.00 for a 20 round box! Who, in their "right mind" would pay that? :eek: Russian Tula? Isn't that all steel? My range won't allow that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
People are continuing to pay the price so stores will stick with it. I doubt the wholesale cost went up much. A little, yes. A lot? No.

I only buy my ammo at the LGS, which is still expensive compared to Walmart. $32 for 100 rounds of 9mm at LGS, $21.47 at walmart. And I save all my brass so soon I won't have to rely on stores for my finished 9mm rounds (I still have 3k to fire off!).

·
Registered
19,167 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
CTD slit their own neck when they pulled there crap right after Sandy Hook, They could have boxes of 45acp for ten bucks and I wouldn't buy out of principal. They are dead to me.

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
In case you haven't noticed there is an ammo shortage.
There are three possible responses to any kind of shortage that is caused by an increase in demand.
  1. Do nothing. This encourgages hoarding as those who can find the product buy as much of it as possible out of fear that they will not find more. Hoarding perpetuates the shortage as any increase of production over actual needs is immediately translated into private stores.
  2. Ration the product. This does not distinguish between needs and wants. This is the perferred method of the old Soviet Union. How'd that work? Let me know if I need to explain this more fully.
  3. Raise prices until supply and demand are balanced. This is the optimal response. While some people find it uncomfortable, allowing the law of supply and demand work distinguishes between peoples relative valuation of the product. As an example: with the current shortage, if someone really needs a box of ammo for their carry gun, they can buy it. Yes it costs a lot, but your family is priceless. If the person's reason for buying the ammo was to punch holes in cans for fun, they may decide that the ammo is too expensive and just whine about the price of ammo. Their failure to buy will lower demand. That is the only force that will lower prices in the long run.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Looking at prices over the past 4 months, CTD seemed to be the worst in terms of raising prices, Grabagun seemed to be the best at keeping them normal.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The first time I was in McKinney, TX was two years ago. I stopped in at Cheaper Than Dirt and had an enjoyable experience. I didn't buy much, but most of the prices looked good and the place was pretty busy. Today was my second visit to McKinney, and once again I stopped in at Cheaper Than Dirt. Hardly anyone in there. They had lots and lots of AR's, handguns, and AR parts. Lots of ammo too. But nobody was buying, because the prices are so high and out of line with everyplace else I have looked at. They were asking $45 for a 50 round box of 45 ACP target ammo, and $115 for a 500 round box of 22LR target ammo. I walked out, purchasing nothing. I plan to be back to McKinney again, but I won't bother to go back to Cheaper than Dirt. Hell, their name is now false advertising. I suppose that they can price their merchandise however they like, but I'm glad that I don't have to buy there. It may be a bit harder to find, but there are other options for ammo out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts