Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My questions are these: is anyone using speedloaders and what manufacture? I have a nice model 669 4in bbl and am wondering if it is dimensionally same as a S&W (possibly "K" frame). I'm not talking about swapping actual parts, but am wondering if a S&W speedloader would work or if the center-to-center distances of cartridge chambers in the cylinder are much different.
New forum member. Besides the 669, have 2 608s. Q's #2 and 3 apply as well to them.

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
I've owned a 689 before and I used the same HKS speedloader for it that I used with my S&W model 65 with no problems.

Reactions: Echo40

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I know that a lot of HKS Speedloaders work for Smith & Wesson, Charter Arms, and Taurus alike. Last Christmas I bought my mother an HKS Speedloader for her Taurus 605 which was also compatible with some S&W and Charter Arms Revolvers, so I imagine that dimensionally speaking they're pretty close for Speedloaders to be interchangeable.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I too have a 689 and use the HKS-586. I have wondered if the HKS-10A would work or if it would be a little small catered to the K frame. It sounds like Texastaurusguy is probably using the HKS-10A since he has a S&W 65. If I remember correctly the 669 is the same as the 689, except for the ribbed vents.

The HKS-586 is designed for the S&W 586/686 (L frames), among others. This makes me think that the 689/669 falls somewhere between K and L frames or the cylinder diameters of some of the K&L frames are very close or the same.

According to the video below there is less than a 4 ounce difference between the Taurus 689 and the S&W 686, the 686 being the heavier of the two. The ribbed vents might cause some of that weight difference. The 669 might be a little heavier. Weighed with grips off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mIft3nwhgs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.