Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What say you? I know the dies are proprietary, other than that any thoughts on these? I would probably only use it for 2 calibers as the others are low volume. I currently have a Lee Loadmasters that I am thinking of selling for various reasons.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Of course, handgun calibers........
Why not, if you can afford one?
There is no press better for a designated round.

I only load four handgun rounds mostly......anymore,
but I use a 550B.
The SDB would be faster than me if we only loaded one round competitively.

I like the versatility I have, and still manage a minimum of 100 rounds an hour
on straight wall handgun ammo.

If I only loaded 9mm[or similar] I would have a blue SDB.

I only use the 550B in case I want a new round, especially rifle.....
and I have the versatility. It is fast enough for me even if we [wife/I]
shoot 500-1000 rounds a week.
Sometimes I load some .44mag, .45colt, .460magnum, etc. and having
the dies set on a toolhead it's easy and fast to change, even for the
calibers I don't have the powder hopper set up on......

If you only use it for one, maybe two calibers of high volume......
why the hell not......and enjoy it in the process.

BUT, once you go blue......it will always be you. :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. If you think you will increase the number of calibers in a year or two.......
I would think hard about the limitations versus another blue press.
I currently load for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 357 MAG, 38 SPL, 357 SIG. I think that is it! 9mm and 45 ACP are higher volume, approx 4k and 2k a year, respectively. I am thinking of doing the SDB in 9mm since I load a fair amount of that, possibly adding 45 after that. I guess I'm more curious of set up and keeping " true" over longer loading sessions. I appreciate your info thus far. I have other presses that handle the amounts of the other calibers I load with no issue.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have the SD-B. I use it for 38 special (will also do 357 with the same dies) and 40s&w (will also do 10 mm). Without working too hard I load 200+ rds per hour.
I am currently saving for a set of 9x19 dies.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a caliber conversion for the SDB costs more than for a 550. The savings may cover the difference between the SDB and the 550 at some point.

I'd just get it over with and get a 550. It will last you the rest of your life. It will load anything. I have a 450/550 conversion. The 450 I bought in the 80's, before Dillon starting selling direct.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The, "No BS", warranty Dillon backs up is just that -- no BS. They back up their presses 110%.

I haven't found anything yet that they didn't just send the part to replace.

As far as the 'proprietary' dies -- how do you come to that? I've set Lyman and RCBS dies in the Dillon tool head with no problem. They all have the 7/8X14 threads.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The, "No BS", warranty Dillon backs up is just that -- no BS. They back up their presses 110%.

I haven't found anything yet that they didn't just send the part to replace.

As far as the 'proprietary' dies -- how do you come to that? I've set Lyman and RCBS dies in the Dillon tool head with no problem. They all have the 7/8X14 threads.
I come to that by researching and reading. The SDB uses proprietary dies. Not sure what else to say there.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a caliber conversion for the SDB costs more than for a 550. The savings may cover the difference between the SDB and the 550 at some point.

I'd just get it over with and get a 550. It will last you the rest of your life. It will load anything. I have a 450/550 conversion. The 450 I bought in the 80's, before Dillon starting selling direct.

Same here!! I have an old 450 that is still running after many many thousands of rounds. I haven't done the 550 conversion yet but it may be about time as the powder slide is sticking and Dillon doesn't have replacement parts for it anymore. I agree with going for the 550. The ability to load rifle and switch calibers so fast would be well worth the small difference in initial cost.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same here!! I have an old 450 that is still running after many many thousands of rounds. I haven't done the 550 conversion yet but it may be about time as the powder slide is sticking and Dillon doesn't have replacement parts for it anymore. I agree with going for the 550. The ability to load rifle and switch calibers so fast would be well worth the small difference in initial cost.
I do agree with the 550 being more versatile. At the same time, I like the auto index and am more considering using it for only one caliber,maybe two. Everything Else I load on a Lee Turret press as it is very small quantity (in relation to my 9mm and 45 ACP). I have no intention of reloading rifle. I guess I should've been a bit more clear in my initial post. I am looking to hear more of a review/thoughts of the SDB, rather than other options. I do appreciate the responses so far as they do shine some light on the situation.

·
Administrator
39,686 Posts
I've been using my Square Deal B, for about fifteen years now. I was impressed with it when I bought it, and I'm still impressed with it today. I bought it for the same reason you're considering buying one. The intent was for pistol calibers only. I shoot rifles, but not enough to justify reloading for them.
I can say, when you set up and adjust for a particular caliber, it stays just as you set it, and even the powder needs no adjusting, although I still check it regularly, as I learned on an RCBS.
I've also found that Dillon's customer service is the best around. Although they sell spare parts kits, a call and explanation got me a replacement part, as well as a spare, should I ever need another, at no cost. I didn't even have to pay shipping.

I use mine for, .38Spl., .357Mag., .45Acp., and .45Colt.

I can't see my need for another reloader. Ever!

Reactions: Stugots

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can say, when you set up and adjust for a particular caliber, it stays just as you set it, and even the powder needs no adjusting, although I still check it regularly, as I learned on an RCBS.
!
This is info I was after, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought my SDB from brianenos.com.

My SDB holds it's settings well.

Dillon has nice videos showing the operation of it's different models to help you choose.
Which Dillon Reloader is Right For You?

The auto-indexing capability of the SDB was an important feature for me.
The 550 uses manual indexing.

Reactions: Stugots

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I do agree with the 550 being more versatile. At the same time, I like the auto index and am more considering using it for only one caliber,maybe two. Everything Else I load on a Lee Turret press as it is very small quantity (in relation to my 9mm and 45 ACP). I have no intention of reloading rifle. I guess I should've been a bit more clear in my initial post. I am looking to hear more of a review/thoughts of the SDB, rather than other options. I do appreciate the responses so far as they do shine some light on the situation.
OK, I can tell you that I bought a used SD to load 9mm. I sold it because I don't like loading 9mm and I sold the only 9mm handgun I ever owned but the SD press was flawless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the SDB for 9mm, 45acp, 38 spec and 357. It's pretty quick to change if you buy a toolhead for each caliber, and the dies of course. For going between 38 spec and 357 mag, you only need an extra toolhead, and maybe another seating die to minimize changeover time. The dies are the same and all the adjustments are in the toolhead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 550's and a SDB. I prefer the 550. The 550 has a much less cramped work area and is more versatile. Any standard dies can be used versus the proprietary dies for the SDB. Even with the auto index of the SDB I load faster on the 550's. Not bashing the SDB, just my experience. As already posted Dillons warranty is just as stated No BS. My SDB is dedicated for 9mm, the 550's load 9mm, 40sw,357sig, .38special,.45acp and .223. Takes 5 min. to change calibers with multiple tool heads. Hope this is helpful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts