Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Diffrent countrys Cancer and Shooting

6K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  Fredward 
#1 ·
Ok all,
You might have noticed I haven't been online for a while. Some of you know and some don't but my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought the good fight but it came back. She was then diagnosed terminal and given 2 to 4 month to live. However hear we are 2 years later and she is still fighting. Its been very hard along the way, Personally I haven't spent that much time on forums or shooting as much as I did. As soon as my wife was classed as terminal the local police contacted us and basically terminated her firearms certificate. The choice was surrender all your guns and hand your permit over to the police or transfer your guns to your husband and surrender your permit. She opted to give them to me. However this got me thinking, How does it work in other countries? I mean if you get ill with something that's none mentally related are you treated in the same way? Do you have your hobbies, sports and rights stripped away? Somehow it just doesn't feel fair. My wife could have had 2 extra years going to the range meeting her friends, having a coffee and a chat and a shoot but that was just taken away in the swoop of a pen. Now she is too ill to go to the range as the cancer has spread and I feel guilty going so don't at the moment. The system is just plain wrong if you ask me. If you are ill through no fault of your own you get treated like a criminal or terrorist.

#2 ·
I'm sorry to hear of your wife's illness. Please pass on to her my admiration and encouragement for fighting the cancer and being alive. This, from a fellow patient (melanoma) whose cancer is inactive at this time. Give her a hug for me and tell her, "Well done; hang in there!"

As to having firearms seized upon being diagnosed with a life threatening illness in America...no, absolutely not! The Second Amendment to our Constitution makes no allowance for forfeiture when one is diagnosed with any medical problem. No certificate or permit is required to purchase and/or own a firearm. Our Founding Fathers determined that "keeping and bearing arms" is one of the inalienable rights granted by our Creator. The Second Amendment prohibits the government from denying its citizens that right, current liberal legislative and judicial efforts notwithstanding.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to hear of your wife's illness. Please pass on to her my admiration and encouragement for fighting the cancer and being alive. This, from a fellow patient (melanoma) whose cancer is inactive at this time. Give her a hug for me and tell her, "Well done; hang in there!"

As to having firearms seized upon being diagnosed with a life threatening illness in America...no, absolutely not! The Second Amendment to our Constitution makes no allowance for forfeiture when one is diagnosed with any medical problem. No certificate or permit is required to purchase and/or own a firearm. Our Founding Fathers determined that "keeping and bearing arms" is one of the inalienable rights granted by our Creator. The Second Amendment prohibits the government from denying its citizens that right, current liberal legislative and judicial efforts notwithstanding.
While it is true that the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America doesn't specifically mention health issues, Federal law and the laws of most States (46 plus the District of Columbia) DO address the issuance of permits/licenses for concealed carry, purchase and/or possession of firearms to/by individuals diagnosed with mental illness!!! Actual confiscation of firearms from these individuals wasn't mentioned in any of the laws that I scanned but I have read in news reports that law enforcement officers have, in fact, collected firearms from many of these individuals. Right or wrong IT IS being done! While no specific document attesting to one's mental health is required, the background check forms that I have been filling out do contain a YES or NO question RE: the applicant's mental health. Answering YES to the question about mental health (i.e. being diagnosed with a mental health condition) at the very least slows or halts the approval process and is likely to result in being disapproved for issuance of a CC permit, license to purchase or possess a firearm. Lying on these forms is a felony! So yes, there is an allowance for the forfeiture of the "right to bear arms"!
RE: "inalienable rights" there is absolutely no mention of ANY part of the Constitution of the United States of America or any of its Amendments being granted by "our Creator"! Those that don't believe it should read it. Fact of the matter is EVERY Citizen should read AND understand the specifics of the Constitution of the U.S. of A. It's both your duty and obligation as a Citizen of our country.

Back to the OP's concern RE: the practice in the UK of surrendering firearms when there is a case of terminal illness, I do see where it just might have some validity. Not saying that it is right, just that I see where the thought process comes from.
Flex

#3 ·
Thank you I will. She hasn't been too well this week. I am hoping she has a better weekend. She's off for another CT on Monday as her collar bone has started crumbling, she had an xray but all they could decide was morphine. Its totally killing me seeing her this way. However I must remain string for her, its become my daily mantra

#4 ·
I'm so sorry to hear what the both of you are facing on a day to day challenge. She sounds like a very special lady for sure. I will keep the two of you in my prayers.

I don't agree with your governments view on confiscation of firearms based on a medical prognosis. But, then I'm sure that they feel that they are operating with in the better interest of others. I do like the fact of allowing the firearms to be transferred to a spouse of family member rather than to do a flat confiscation of the firearms.

But then the firearms are the least important issues in your life. Spend your time together, I know it would mean more to hold your hand than the butt of a pistol to her.

#6 ·
First of all, I'm so sorry for what your wife and you are going through. God bless you both.

To answer your question, I'm reminded of a quote that "the government powerful enough to meet all your needs is also powerful enough to take away everything you have." Or words to that effect. What you've gone through has already been discussed in the US as a darn good reason to fight against government-provided/managed/inhibited health care.

#7 ·
Our law has nothing that covers that. The decision is based on what the local police force decide. However they always automatically revoke the permits of anyone who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. The reasons they give is the possibility of depression, suicide or homicide. The real reason is they don't want to be held accountable if someone was to commit suicide or murder and they issued the permit. So with that they treat everyone like a lunatic or criminal. They wont even let me keep firearms in my home In a locked safe. I have to rent space at an RFD (US version FFL) . I was told I would be allowed them back and I quote " When its all over" I guess sensitivity isn't their strong point. Personally I would hand them all over today if it would make her ok, but it wont. It just seems strange that you would put a person who is already going through a lot in a position where you isolate them from their sports and hobbies when you know they are going die.

#8 ·
In Texas if you fall ill your firearms don't play into it at all.

I am sorry to hear about your wife, she is lucky to have you to take care of her.

Reactions: Hoodypossible
#9 ·
So sorry to hear about your sweet bride. We will put her on the prayer list at our church. In the U.S., firearms are private property in most jurisdictions (there are some places where a permit is required to purchase and own firearms), but the majority of the U.S. doesn't require any sort of permit to own or purchase a firearm. The only weapons that must be registered with the Federal Government are automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles (barrel less than 16") and sawed-off shotguns (barrels less than 18"). If a person is terminally I'll, they may give the weapons to anyone who is not prohibited from ownership, put the arms up for sale on consignment at a dealer or will them to their surviving spouse. No permit is required.

#10 ·
My wife is a 17 year cancer survivor and never once have we ever been concerned about having our guns seized as a result of the diagnosis. God Bless America, the Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment. And may the fear of God be put into those who attempt to deprive one of their Rights simply because that person got sick.

Reactions: Hoodypossible
#12 ·
Chris - I have been following your posts for the last few years and recently have been wondering how your family is doing. I often think of you and your wife and your situation and reflect on our own life and how fortunate we are that my husband and I, even in our old age, are able to continue to enjoy the shooting sports together. When talking politics and the 2nd amendment, I often bring up your situation and how your dear wife lost her shotgun privileges due to her illness. It is indeed a crazy, inconceivable world that we live in.

Please know that all of the TA.net family is here for you any time you need solace and that you and your wife continue in our prayers.

#13 ·
I know what it's like to lose a wife. It's not fun. It turns your whole life on end. It's been 8 years and I'm remarried and living happily. Life goes on.

#15 ·
I also am very sorry to hear of your wife's illness. We had a bit of a scare with my wife having bladder cancer diagnosed about three years ago now. We have been seeking treatment at the Mayo Clinic and she is in remission since having the tumor removed. We are now on six month checkups and will go annually shortly. I know the fear, but not the dread of a worse prognosis. My prayers are with both of you through the very tough journey.

Your story of the total and absolute control over a freedom that we sometimes take for granted should be a stark warning for all of us here. Those in our country who seek to severely limit our rights never rest in their quest to make over the USA to be like Europe and the UK.

#17 ·
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We just went through something similar with my 99-year old M-I-L. It's tough for all concerned, especially the caregivers.

Having been born and brought up in the UK and having applied for a firearm license there once, I thought that I was fairly familiar with all the laws, restrictions and obstacles they put in the path of gun ownership ... but this is a new one. What frustrates and angers me when the police act like this is that there is no one to appeal to. I suppose that you could sue or appeal to the Home Office but good luck with that and besides, you have more important things on your mind at the moment.

#18 ·
Chris, so sorry to hear this. I am going through health issues along these lines as well, but no taking away the guns. In fact since this has been going on, 16 months, firearms have only been discussed twice.
Once with the surgeon that put my chemo port in, he changed the side so I could rifle shoot, and this last recent stay in hospital where I had a long discussion with the night nurse over over 2A. Shi is a rabid 2A supporter.

#19 ·
Chris, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your lovely wife. I wonder if distributing a video of your wife enjoying shooting sports could influence people who make such decisions and control such things over there? Do you have such footage or photos? Is there an appeals process? Best wishes and please remain hopeful.

#20 ·
Chris,

Opening this long dormant thread. Without any further visits I presume that your energies and needs have been needed elsewhere.

Hope all is going as well as it can. Hope you still enjoy shooting sports despite the dreary hand life dealt you. Let us know if you need to chat, talk guns, etc. We really are like a family here - meaning we can be pretty annoying and difficult to get rid of.

#21 ·
My prayers and sympathy to your wife and you. I can't offer any advice about the police deciding to take her firearms but only my opinion that it stinks. I'm a lung cancer patient and I've given a lot of thought to what to do with my firearm collection and other man toys I've collected but so far I don't think I have to worry about the government making the decision for me. I do worry about my family selling my collection for less than it is worth which I see happen often when someone passes without a strict and distinctive set of instruction left in the will. Hopefully I have that covered. I will pray for you and your wife. May the lord bless!

Reactions: rodfair
#28 ·
To answer your question, no I've never heard of gun confiscation here because of illness. I'm really too overwhelmed by your situation to even discuss the implications of such a confiscation. You certainly have my sympathy and my prayers. Miracles can and do happen, I've prayed for that, for strength for both of you and for mercy. God bless you and keep you both.

#29 ·
Hi Chris.. I think we 'know' each other from UK forums, maybe Shootforum or Airgun BBS..? (Tommo) I was a member at Fulwood for years until we moved back to the Isle of Man 18 months ago.. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through right now but I also can't understand M'side Firearms reaction to your wife's illness..!!
Four years ago I was diagnosed with leukaemia, after four courses of chemo and six months as an in-patient in Aintree hospital, I was cleared in full remission. When I got the diagnosis, and found out what they had in store for me treatment wise, I contacted M'side Firearms and spoke to Janet (Manager). I told her what my treatment would entail and that all my guns were in safe storage at home. I asked if she wanted me to lodge them with an RFD but was told that was not necessary. I made a point of telling Janet I would keep her informed of my treatment and, at the time what the prognosis would be. That was it. I never heard anything more from them, nobody called or wrote to me, nothing.

Now this bit isn't easy and I've been told about this straight from a former FEO's mouth. There have been incidences in the past where a FAC holder has, because of the nature of the illness and the pain that goes with it, taken their own life as an escape, and done so with a firearm they legally held. This fact, I guess, is probably foremost in their minds, although I certainly don't agree with it, and I think the 'method' of revoking your wife's FAC, or anyone else in a similar situation, is quite Draconian.

I doubt that my words and thoughts give you any comfort at this time, and my heart goes out to you both, but I would say to you don't give up on your shooting. Your wife would want you to carry on.

Thoughts and prayers from the Isle of Man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.