Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a happy Taurus owner with a PT1911AL, PT140, PT 145, 689 revolver and M44 revolver. I'm looking for information on full size 24/7 pistols. It seems there are many models, perhaps too may for me to keep straight.There doesn't seem to be a concise source of information to differentiate them, so i thought I'd ask here. I have read many reviews of the 24/7 OSS DS and I'd like one of these or similar. To that end I've looked at several 24/7 series pistols that were not OSS series. There is 24/7 PRO long slide, and 24/7 PRO. It seems there are others in the 24/7 line without PRO in the name. Of course there's the 800series and the G2 series.

In any given caliber, what's the difference in the 24/7, 24/7 PRO, and the 24/7 OSS pistols? Are they the same with different names for different assembly years? What's the closest to the OSS DS?

Thanks,
Frazer1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one can give me a rundown on the differences between the 24/7 models? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some information on this subject. Help!

Thanks,
Frazer1

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I can gather they are all pretty close with respect to the bread and butter of the gun. The differences that I see are the barrel length and some cosmetics. Of course this is no spec downed opion, just a 2 cents post. I have the new G2 9mm and my brother inlaw has the 24/7 Pro. I see very little difference in them as far as performance goes. They are equal in accuracy and comfort. Then you get into the cosmetics mostly. From what I have seen at the LGS and held with the OSS model, seems to be the same review. Feels the same but has some small differences. If your trying to decide which one to buy I would first go with the price because I beleive you would be happy with any of the models. If the prices are similar then it just comes down to what do you want to look at. I wanted to get the OSS at first because I liked the longer barrel but then went with the G2 because the store that took one of my guns in on trade had the G2 only LOL. The store with the OSS wouldnt take my trade. But from what I have experienced and read, they are all on equal ground as far as performance goes. GL hope this 2 cents helps.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Combat Vet,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure they are similar, that's my problem. They all seem too much alike visually. There must be some differnce to cause them to make so many variations. I'm looking at an OSS DS and a 24/7 PRO LS DS. They seem identical except for slide markigs.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Unless you buy used, now you don't have too many choices but the 24/7 G2 pistols with 4" and 3.5" barrels. Taurus has discontinue the original 24/7 series. The closest to the 24/7 OSS is the 24/7 LS but they're hard to find even the used ones.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Go to this thread and see post #7: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/50469-24-7-g2-questions.html

Once upon a time I had some of the same questions you have. I was SURE I was buying a 24/7. BUT I decided to consider hammer-fired polymer framed options and ended up going with an 809 instead. I have no real interest in which way you ultimately go, but I'd consider it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All the replies have been pretty spot on. From my research, the 24/7 was the original model, 24/7 pro the next, then the OSS and the Long Slide, and now the G2. You can still find some of these at LGS and online but it is difficult to know what you're getting at times. For example, anything with a DS designation has a decocker/safety, some of the earlier models did not include the decocker function. The original 24/7 and 24/7 Pro models had a ribber grip while the later OSS and G2's use a polymer grip. The G2 has the interchangeable backstraps as well. The 24/7 has been one of the most popular lines Taurus has put out in the past few years but they have to continue upgrading to keep up with the market.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My two cents. I just bought a 24/7 OSS DS in 40 SW and liked it so much I put a 24/7 OSS DS in 45 acp in layaway. so just buy one already any version you'll love it. But that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
As others have said, if you want the OSS, buy it now, since they are discontinued!

The G2 or the 800 series is as close as Taurus makes now to the OSS. the G2 being striker fired vs the 800 having a hammer. Personally with the exception of the Hammer if you are going for looks or ergonomics I think the 800 is closest to the old 24/7s and the OSS. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 24/7 without the "Pro" is a DA pistol. The "Pro" just means it is a SA. Not sure if it goes to DA when you have a misfire like the G2.

·
Registered
36,040 Posts
Hi,
In any given caliber, what's the difference in the 24/7, 24/7 PRO, and the 24/7 OSS pistols? Are they the same with different names for different assembly years? What's the closest to the OSS DS?
Thanks,
Frazer1
There are several variations of the 24/7!
24/7 is double action only
24/7 Pro is single action/ double action (second srike ability) and single action primary function.
24/7 Pro D/S (you miseed this one) it is single action / double action like the Pro, except it has a decocker (the D/S)
then the 24/7 OSS D/S which is basically a longer barrled 24/7 Pro D/S except built for military requirements, match grade barrel, ambi safety an larger sights.
there are variations off these except for the OSS , such as the LS - long slide which has a roughly 5.25 inch barrel, and the "C" model a compact(3.3 inch barrel) which has a shorter grip frame, then there is the CA (Kalifornia compliant) that are double action only and reduced capacity magazines (10 rounds regardless of caliber)
Additionally after reading some of the other post!
the Ribber grip was a polymer grip just like the standard grip but had raised rubber serrations on it that were somewhat flexible, the ribbers were never available on the 45 acp models either, so ribbers are not a good indication of age of the weapon, they were discontinued after a few short years due to problems with wear.
the New 24/7 G-2 is a double action/single action weapon wih a totally different grip frame.
I think all this is correct, if not just punch holes in it with your replies!
to answer your question! the closet model to the OSS would be the 24/7 Pro D/S LS which i think they might have made for 1 year, if at all.

·
Registered
36,040 Posts
The 24/7 without the "Pro" is a DA pistol. The "Pro" just means it is a SA. Not sure if it goes to DA when you have a misfire like the G2.
The PRO is actually a single action/Double action and so YES it reverts to double action should you have a failure to fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I think I got it now. I am buying a 24/7 OSS DS from Buds while they are still arounf for cheap NIB.

Thanks,
Frazer1

·
Registered
36,040 Posts
GOOD CHOICE!
I really like mine and accuracy is near my 1911's as well.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Here's a visual comparison of the 24/7 OSS DS .45 ACP and the 24/7 Pro Compact DS .45 ACP.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you guys just made my head hurt reading this. I have the 24/7 PRO L/S and it looks like that 24/7 OSS DS

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The 24/7 PRO DS goes to DA on a misfire as does the 24/7 PRO C. The 24/7 is my most accurate gun but I'd trade it in a second for an OSS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I own the OSS and when I was shopping for mine everybody said the OSS was the best 24/7 ever built. I was told that a few of the important parts in the 24/7's where built better in the OSS. So far mine has been perfect never one hiccup of any kind. I have a Taurus 1911 and my OSS is more dependable than that pistol. At times I feel I shoot better with it than I do the 1911. My buddy has a Smith and Wesson MP and my OSS out shot it and his Rock Island 1911. I have to advise you to go OSS all the way its gonna be better than that g2. And don't forget the OSS was the gun that Taurus took to the military competitions.

·
Registered
36,040 Posts
you guys just made my head hurt reading this. I have the 24/7 PRO L/S and it looks like that 24/7 OSS DS
Not if you look at the thumb safety it don't!!--LOL! the OSS should have 2 of them one on each side!
The OSS also has a decocker!
additionally i have only seen a couple of LS but i think the sights on the OSS are larger as well?
The original Black OSS also came in a tennifer finish, later they made a Tan framed OSS but still with a Tennifer upper slide, then they in the very last made a stainless slide, I think this was after the military test trials had been suspended?
the "Tactical" originals were black or tan & black.
Just saying , the OSS is somewhat different, not necessarily better, just different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts