Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as strength of the frames and cylinders. I'm aware the holes in the 605 are deeper, but would the 85 cylinder and frame stand up to the random use of 357 ? I've got a 3/8" tungsten drill bit anxious to have its way with my 85. My S&W 64 took the drill bit with just a few squeals.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I think you ruined the Smith & Wesson and will do the same with the Taurus. If you want guns that will shoot .357, get one that is designed and built to do so. Home "improvements" will void all warrenties and render the gun worthless. By the way, the difference between .357 and .38 is length not diameter.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying the 605 cylinder is longer but not larger in dia. thAn the 85 ? Hope you weren't talking cartridges. The 64 is no beauty queen and not part of my 401k. Doubt if S&W would honor any warranty work on the old piece anyway. The Taurus 85 was a cheap trade in and I'm not too worried about their lifetime warranty even if they would honor it on this old of a revolver. With my monthly stimulus checks, buying a 357 now is not practical. Owning a retail gun shop and repair service for almost 30 years, that left me with a few idle hours to ponder things like this. An ugly hvy bbl +P Model 10 was my test base several years back, and putting calipers to a 357 cylinder and the 38, they were the same length. So, what the hey ? That 10 and this 64 and 85 would and did fire the 357 only as an emergency situation if I had packed 357 and no 38 by mistake. I'm sure I'm the only one having done that.

Back to the original question, is the metallurgy of the 605 stronger thAn the 85.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Whatever. Enjoy trashing perfectly good firearms.

·
Registered
339 Posts
wow, talk about stupid!

if you want to do this to a gun that has a cylinder long enough and strong enough (i'm pretty sure the 85 is neigther), you might want to look at doing it the right way. see the link below.

357 Mag Floating Pilot Chamber Reamer

for record, what is the name of your shop? it's more than a little scary that you say you have had a gun retail and repair business for 30yrs and your doing things like this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recall saying I made that model 10 conversion for sale, it was my personal weapon. Any dangerous activity toward any customer with word getting out, I wouldn't have stayed open very long. Your "pretty sure" doesn't give a definitive answer I was seeking since the 85 is +P. There are better tactics thAn to come on here and call someone stupid.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't recall saying I made that model 10 conversion for sale, it was my personal weapon. Any dangerous activity toward any customer with word getting out, I wouldn't have stayed open very long. Your "pretty sure" doesn't give a definitive answer I was seeking since the 85 is +P. There are better tactics thAn to come on here and call someone stupid.
the 20,000psi of a .38+P is still far short of the 35,000psi of a .357mag load.

Strong tactics are nessisary to make sure that anyone who is inexperienced who might happen on this thread realises that the modification you described is a very bad idea! that gun you modified with likey be around much longer than you will. think about that for a minute, it will probably have another owner weather you try to sell it or not. be safe.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
The 64 is no beauty queen and not part of my 401k. But living should be; modifications like these are extremely foolhardy.

The Taurus 85 was a cheap trade in and I'm not too worried about their lifetime warranty...Your life doesn't have a warranty either.

putting calipers to a 357 cylinder and the 38, they were the same length. "Length NOT the same; maybe you mean diameter; but not length. If you do mean length aka OAL, this is counter to all the ballistics tables and years of my own personal experience. In fact, the longer length of the 357 was so putting 357 into a 38 revolver was impossible.
Your fantastic claim to having owned "a retail gun shop and repair service for almost 30 years" "left you a few hours to ponder this". I hope you ponder the utility of keeping all of your hands and fingers. OTOH, your avatar is perfect for someone doing the types of modifications you describe. Do carry on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
YIKES! Even in all my experimentation with re-loads, ALL BY THE BOOK BY THE WAY, etc., I have never even thought of doing something like this.
I re-itterate...YIKES!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Do NOT do it!!! Sell the 85 and put the money towards a used m605. They are available from the on-line auction houses. That's where I got my m605.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Elk ridge reamers and 4D will rent a chamber reamer to you. The only one I might consider converting to .357 would be the model 82 which is essentially the same as the model 65. An unpiloted drill bit is most likely just going to screw up the gun by chattering and leaving a rough assymetrical chamber. I would not recommend anyone with limited experience do anything like this, it is an invitation to disaster.

Reactions: 44wcf
1 - 12 of 12 Posts