Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Not really!
I do very occasionally take them down and spray them out with gunscrubber and reassemble them!
Now I only use carbide resizer dies as well.
carbide simply isn't going to be affected by anything other than resizing a diamond, so dirt and grim actually works as a lubricant with them.
Now the dirt and grim may scratch the case but it isn't likely to hurt the carbide sizer at all.
Even when i would load rifles which require a lube I only broke the dies down once or twice a year ot clean them.
your cases will tell you if you need to clean in my opinion.
lets face it reloading dies area made from pretty stout material to take all that pressure over and over again and not bend or break.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Haven't had the need to but I live in a fairly low humidity area with a dry basement so rust isn't a problem. If I get bullet lube forming in my seating die, I'll use a parts cleaner to clean them and run a dry patch through the unit.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Haven't had the need to but I live in a fairly low humidity area with a dry basement so rust isn't a problem. If I get bullet lube forming in my seating die, I'll use a parts cleaner to clean them and run a dry patch through the unit.
Same here bullet lube needs to be cleaned from the seating die it starts to change the OAL if you let it build up to much.

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Every 1,000 rounds or so I'll clean out the seating die and the crimp die (I do those separate) just to keep bullet lube from building up too much. But I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I spray them with WD40 if I think I am not going to use a particular set for a while, then hose them out with brake cleaner before I use them again.

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
Registered
336 Posts
Every now & then (few times a year) I run a patch with Hoppes or Prolix around the innards & wipe the surface down. I generally don't take them apart, because I have them all set up for the cartridges & guns that I load for. I tumble my brass before & a little after resizing, so they are only used on clean brass - don't really get very dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts