Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To me, it's a rifle that is nearly unique in its ability to provide six rounds in a bolt-action firearm - the only other rifle of its day to do this was the Lee-Enfield.

I can put five cartridges into the magazine of my M1903a3, and switch the "magazine cut off" to "off" and slip another round on top of the follower and use the bolt to chamber it.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Be careful with those "hi-cap" bolt action rifles. :D

My Swiss K31 has a 6 round magazine, and since it's detachable I can go 6+1 with it. Yet, it would be way cooler if it had the capacity of the Lee Enfield. :icon_cool:

·
Administrator
18,647 Posts
Yes! Had one years ago that badly needed a new barrel. I should have kept it and re-barreled it later. If you have one with a good barrel in it, treasure it!

Have an Ishapore Enfield No. 2A MkIII that holds 12 rounds of 7.62x51mm NATO, instead of the advertised 10 rounds.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Yes! Had one years ago that badly needed a new barrel. I should have kept it and re-barreled it later. If you have one with a good barrel in it, treasure it!

Have an Ishapore Enfield No. 2A MkIII that holds 12 rounds of 7.62x51mm NATO, instead of the advertised 10 rounds.

I wouldn't mind having one of those. Nice! :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an Enfield .303 No.1 MK4 from 1944. It has been "sportersized" (is that even a word?) in that the upper wooden barrel cover has been removed as well as some of the wooden piece below the front part of the barrel. I guess a picture would help but I don't have one handy. Holds 10 rounds and is very accurate. I'd like to mount a scope on it at some point. It's a keeper!
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun
Wood

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Very Nice!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I HAD a sporter i just had to sell because i just got laid off with no notice. Paid 375. It needed a new barrel and the gun shop made it right. Sad cuz that was my first rifle. Down to one gun and i ain't selling it! Any how here's a picture or two

Reactions: Bender and darbo

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Must be one of those first model assualt rifles.:D

·
Administrator
18,647 Posts
Must be one of those first model assualt rifles.:D
Yup! Back in WWI & WWII, The Enfield Rifles could be fired so quickly that the Germans often thought that there were Machine Guns where there were only Rifle Squads.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Uhhhhhh......... the old Pattern 1917 .30 Caliber Rifle made by Eddystone (a Remington subsidiary) and Remington holds SIX in the magazine.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fantastic examples all. Thanks for all your participation in the thread, guys!

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I love the m1903. My father hunts with one every year and has since the '60s. His is sportarized and he swapped the wood stock for a synthetic about 15 years ago. Love the trigger, love the action. The internet is rife with warnings not to shoot ones with serial numbers below 900,000; his is 123,xxx and he's never had a problem other than loosing his bolt on a couple thousand acres. Took a day and a half to find it.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Uhhhhhh......... the old Pattern 1917 .30 Caliber Rifle made by Eddystone (a Remington subsidiary) and Remington holds SIX in the magazine.
Maybe they learned from the 1903

1 - 17 of 17 Posts