Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four decades ago, I was first on the Intrusion Alarm call list when I lived a mile from the shop where I worked. (We assembled Italian and German trash-truck operating bodies on American Chasis) at a garbage truck company.

The first time I answered the alarm at 02:30 AM, the city PD was waitintg outside, having all the doors covered. I shut off the alrm and opened the front door for them and sadi,"Go to it, boys".

They said, " No way. you gotta go through with us and turn on all the lights". to which I answered, "NO way. No gun, no-go.". One of the cops whom I knew and he knew me from the shooting club handed me his back-up .38 Colt and said, "Here. Now let's go. - but next time, bring your forty-five.".

We finally cornered one VERY SCARED citizen upstairs in the stock-room who had dropped in through the skylight but couldn't reach it to escape.

One time, we got three citizens holding together, standing on the crapper in the executive washroom.

And once, on a stormy and rainy night I took a lone-hand foray, I kicked open the steel fire door separating the paint shop from the assembly area with my 45 held out in a kind of Weaver form straight in the face of a citizen who surprised me as much as I surprised him ! The perp jumped strraight up in the air and when he came down, his footprints from his PF Keds were (actually measured) 12 feet stride. The cop at the back door was nearly run down in the darkness, but he stopped him.

Wasn't too much longer that I changed jobs.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
Twice.

Once shortly after I first moved to the big city, I was awakened by noises at the front door. It was a small apartment, so I was quick to get from the back to the front, checking things along the way. When I got to the front door, I looked out and saw a friend of mine who had said he may come down to visit from out of town. It was so late, I assumed he wasn't coming. I quickly put the gun away before he saw it. He'd have freaked!

Years later, I came home. The wife and kids were gone for the evening. I ate and was sitting in the living room watching TV when I heard a thump-thump from the basement. We have 2 daylight windows there and it would be a great place for concealed entry in to the house. I quickly ran upstairs and got my same tool from the story above, and we checked the entire house, ending up at the basement. As I went down the stairs I could still hear a thump-thump. When I finally got to the bottom of the stairs, I realized our treadmill was running. Apparently when my wife used it that morning, she didn't turn it off and after a full day of running, the belt separated and was thumping as it made its round trip. I call this the day I almost shot the treadmill.

At least I didn't mess my pants in either situation, but I sure felt different under that stress and excitement.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Twice.

Once shortly after I first moved to the big city, I was awakened by noises at the front door. It was a small apartment, so I was quick to get from the back to the front, checking things along the way. When I got to the front door, I looked out and saw a friend of mine who had said he may come down to visit from out of town. It was so late, I assumed he wasn't coming. I quickly put the gun away before he saw it. He'd have freaked!

Years later, I came home. The wife and kids were gone for the evening. I ate and was sitting in the living room watching TV when I heard a thump-thump from the basement. We have 2 daylight windows there and it would be a great place for concealed entry in to the house. I quickly ran upstairs and got my same tool from the story above, and we checked the entire house, ending up at the basement. As I went down the stairs I could still hear a thump-thump. When I finally got to the bottom of the stairs, I realized our treadmill was running. Apparently when my wife used it that morning, she didn't turn it off and after a full day of running, the belt separated and was thumping as it made its round trip. I call this the day I almost shot the treadmill.

At least I didn't mess my pants in either situation, but I sure felt different under that stress and excitement.
When I came home to my apartment Feb 6 at 8 am, and found my door had been lock picked and the door ajar, I was glad that I had my EDC handy. I am not trained to clear an area properly but I did have my revolver at the ready. I was not thinking, "I hope I don't have to use this." I was thinking "don't miss." I load my own ammo for the 357 and had a full cylinder of 7 good stout loads at the ready. I looked in all directions and made my way thru my apartment and found my 2 ARs gone, my new shotgun and a little Rossi 410 also missing from the rack. Plus all my new fishing rods and reels were gone. I had just bought at the end of last season.

Oddly, when I first swung the door open, the first thing that caught my eye was something missing, not something odd or out of place. I had bought a camo rod bag for my 2 new 8' catfish rod and reel combos. It was standing leaning against a shelf unit straight across from the door in plain sight. I saw something missing that should have been there but wasn't, which tripped MY trigger. As soon as I cleared the apartment, I called PD and they came right away. We did a walk thru, they dusted for prints and I reported what I knew was missing at that time. It didn't take me long to get a bit honked off about my loss. I did have insurance so I was glad of that.

I don't know what you will think of this idea, but from this, I decided that leaving something interesting to a thief, or even sort of valuable occupying a small space that can be noticed immediately on entering your domicile may be a good way to keep me and/or you safe. My apartment has one way in and out. I could have called the PD and then guarded the door, but I didn't think of that. But now, the first thing I do when I open the door, even if I know it was locked, and is still locked, is look for the item I set up to entice the puke who enters my place and maybe stole more stuff. He/she may have re-locked my door as they left, or as he/she came in. If my decoy is gone, I call PD. I don't clear my place. I am not trained for that. If it happens that the person is still in there, I don't have to do any shooting unless he or she shoots first. I'll stay out in the hall and wait for the Police.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Cleared my place of employment 3 times for alarm going off. I was the nearest at 20 minutes away. Police were always long gone by time I got there as they always found the door locked when they arrived. Quick check of the alarm system to see what sensor was triggered. Of course it was always a motion sensor over the main warehouse. Never found a person or anything out of order. Been a couple years now since I had an alarm run.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Twice.

Bubba shot the jukebox ... :LOL:

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I was guarding a public housing project, partly under construction, and was there mainly to make sure thieves didn't steal copper piping from the unoccupied apartments. (yes it was decades ago)
Also to guard the bulldozer and other equipment locked up in the courtyard. Because not all the unfinished apartments were in the same location I had to do foot patrols of the entire complex. As I was completing a round I noticed an old pickup truck parked in front of one of the unfinished apartments. This was probably 330am. My first thought was I caught thieves in the act, or was going to. :) I opened the door to the apartment and shined my mag light at 2 guys having sex on the floor. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was guarding a public housing project, partly under construction, and was there mainly to make sure thieves didn't steal copper piping from the unoccupied apartments. (yes it was decades ago)
Also to guard the bulldozer and other equipment locked up in the courtyard. Because not all the unfinished apartments were in the same location I had to do foot patrols of the entire complex. As I was completing a round I noticed an old pickup truck parked in front of one of the unfinished apartments. This was probably 330am. My first thought was I caught thieves in the act, or was going to. :) I opened the door to the apartment and shined my mag light at 2 guys having sex on the floor. :(
There is not enough Visine to clean one's minds eye after something like that.

·
Registered
655 Posts
16 years ago I was sound asleep next to my wife at about 3am. We had moved to a new home a few days prior. Heard an almighty crash. Grabbed my handgun, heart thumping wildly, and went to check out the noise. Checked doors and windows finding nothing amiss, but the noise was real and real loud. So I kept looking. I started opening closets and checking for some one hiding. In the third closet I found the culprit hiding in the dark.

The hanging rod and shelf had crashed to the floor under the weight of the clothing hanging from it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and returned to my warm bed. The next day I discovered that the dipstuff builder had just tacked the shelf supports into drywall using 2 inch brads. Nothing was attached to studs - nothing. I had to rebuild all the closets this time nailing into studs to better support the weight.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
16 years ago I was sound asleep next to my wife at about 3am. We had moved to a new home a few days prior. Heard an almighty crash. Grabbed my handgun, heart thumping wildly, and went to check out the noise. Checked doors and windows finding nothing amiss, but the noise was real and real loud. So I kept looking. I started opening closets and checking for some one hiding. In the third closet I found the culprit hiding in the dark.

The hanging rod and shelf had crashed to the floor under the weight of the clothing hanging from it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and returned to my warm bed. The next day I discovered that the dipstuff builder had just tacked the shelf supports into drywall using 2 inch brads. Nothing was attached to studs - nothing. I had to rebuild all the closets this time nailing into studs to better support the weight.
Yeah, my wife has too many clothes too!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The strangest thing I've found checking on things going bump in the night was a toddler (one of my nieces) wearing a diaper and a t-shirt, sitting in the middle of the kitchen table eating Count Chocula right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
The strangest thing I've found checking on things going bump in the night was a toddler (one of my nieces) wearing a diaper and a t-shirt, sitting in the middle of the kitchen table eating Count Chocula right out of the box.
Ah, a young vampire slayer!

·
Registered
36,668 Posts
There is not enough Visine to clean one's minds eye after something like that.
HE-HE-HE--Did i ever mention that I worked in mid town Atlanta during the mid 1960-1970 Hippie days???
Nothing like hitting a large apartment house filled with high people at 3 -4 in the morning!
Did a LOT of growing up right along that time!---LOL
setting-himself-on-fire.gif

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got a new job about 21 years ago, and worked alone at night until someone else could be hired. About the third day, I hear an odd noise, like wings flapping, and then I felt cold air. I look around and can't find anything. I decide to go upstairs to the then unused 2nd floor, and look around. Nothing. I go back to my desk and about 30 seconds later, two cops appear. I just about hit the ceiling. A couple of the smokers on 1st or 2nd shift had put tape on the door latch so they could get back inside without calling anyone. The wind had pushed the door open just enough to trip the silent alarm. The police came in through that door, that was the cold air I felt, but I never figured out what the flapping noise was. They heard me walking around, but didn't find me until I sat down at my desk and said to myself, "That was weird!". They had no idea anyone was working 3rd shift there, and wondered why the lights were on.

Before that, I worked at a new building on the river. I was 3rd shift security. We had all kinds of stuff go wrong due to shoddy construction and nobody working there having a clue, and one night, the license on the secuirty system expired. We had been assured that the warnings every night that we got on the computer "don't mean anything". Oh yes they did. ALL the doors unlocked, and there was no way for us to lock them until the license was renewed. The guy who had told us the warnings "dont mean anything" was called. He lived an hour away and said he would be in and that it was no big deal. Maybe 10 minutes after the doors unlocked, we had the first homeless guy come in. We got him out of there and bungee corded the doors to keep more homeless from coming in. My boss was coming in, and he was an ex-marine who wasn't happy. He called and asked what was going on, and I told him about the homeless guy and then bungee cording the doors. He said it was a good idea, and he would be there soon. My boss and the security system guy arrived at the same time, and the security system guy assurred us that "It will be fixed in just a few minutes!". Wrong again. He called to update the license, but he didn't have the code he needed to do it, it was back at his house. He tried to talk the person on the other end to let his wife give them the code number, but they told him that the number had to come from the number listed on the license. So, he got the number from his wife, and called them back, and the number was wrong. He finally went home, got the number, and then gave it to me, but they wouldn't accept it from me, as neither me or my boss were "authorized" to do anything with the security system. So he had to come back to the building, and even then it took another hour to get the updated license to finally let us lock the place up. All together, it was down almost 6 hours. It took 2 years to fix all the problems in that place.

Another time at the same building, I went on a "tour" and went out one of the back fire exit doors as usual, after calling it in to the office to get them to let me out without setting an alarm off. I was looking at boats on the river, it was a really nice night out, and the back of the building is mostly dark at night, except for lights at each section of the building that point outwards. I was going to walk around to the front, checking the boat dock to make sure it was locked up. It was, so I came around the back, and just as I got to the darkest part of the whole place, I see something against the building, but I can't tell what it is, it's in a really dark area. I thought for about 10 seconds that it was a homeless guy sitting up against the building, but when I got about 3 feet from it, I realized it was a Great Blue Heron, and just as I realized what it was, it's eyes opened and it crashed into me, and then flew off. The security camera caught the whole thing and my boss thought it was hilarious. The big shots had it playing at their Chistmas party that year along with the homeless guy getting into the building in the incident above.

·
Registered
36,668 Posts
I remember someone putting a .357 magnum bullet through a manniquin in a Sears store in downtown Houston.

OK, so how did you know it was from a 357 mag, and say not a 38 Spl, or other .355, 356 or 357 projectile?
just curious cause i see them people on the TV crime shows say that all the time when they recover a projectile?--Griiin.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Did some years with a Florida's sheriff's reserve, but mostly recovery diver work, a little dog support, some marine patrol.

Not trained in house clearing, so my preferred approach if I ABSOLUTELY HAD to do any house clearing would likely be . . .

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
ARRRR MEEEEE training!

Three grenades

Cover

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Enter and shoot anything that moves.

Probably not P C enough for the Gen Pop

But effective

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Lol, did just last night. Heard a soft "bang" out on the deck. I got out of bed, grabbed the CPX-2 I was carrying that day, and checked out the noise.

The wind had knocked over a broom that was out there. :whistle:

·
Registered
390 Posts
OK, so how did you know it was from a 357 mag, and say not a 38 Spl, or other .355, 356 or 357 projectile?
just curious cause i see them people on the TV crime shows say that all the time when they recover a projectile?--Griiin.

Yes, in fact, I do know it was a .357 magnum (commercial purchase not reload), which is actually the same caliber as a 38 special only a longer cartridge case and not a .355 (9MM). The reason and the name I know will remain non-public.

LOL...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts