Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy at work who is looking for a home defense pistol and one to carry on occasion. He isnt wanting to spend much and has been asking people about a Hi-Point. Everyone has laughed him out of the building and told him to not waste his money, to get a Glock, Walther, Ruger, etc. He went looking for those, not knowing what they cost. When he found out what they ran, he just about gave up. He then asked me some recommendations and suggested he was looking at a Hi-Point. I told him to go hold the gun he was looking at and he said he like the way it felt compared to some of the others. Told him that step was done then. He is a big guy and the bigger size doesnt bother him. I told him to not listen to people who have never owned one, all they tell you is hearsay. I told him to buy it if he likes it and after 300-500 rounds of shooting, if you have no problems then you have a good gun. If it does have problems, send it back and use their lifetime warranty. He told me he greatly appreciated my opinion and open judgement on the gun. He said after he takes posession, he would like to get together to help him with it and get some lead down range. Not only does the shooting community have a new member, but may have picked up a new range buddy. Conclusion, don't speak about which you know nothing, it may deter someone in the wrong direction.
WOW, kinda long winded post!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Good advive, I am a big believer in fondle before you buy! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Always great advice. "MY cousin's brother's wife's cousin' sister's had one of those and it sucked" Is never realiable reviewing.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Good for you CC. Now if you can get him to join the NRA, you have my undying gratitude.

·
10,379 Posts
Good advive, I am a big believer in fondle before you buy! :D
I thought about trying that, but was afraid I'd get shot by her dad.

OP, ya did good. It's always nice to have an informed opinion and solid guidance to refute the "I heard from my sister's boyfriend's nephew's kindergarten classmate that <insert item> sucks so it must be true"

Best thing about HighPoint; even if you run out of ammo you still have a healthy club to swing<g>

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good for you bringing another 2A supporter into the fold. Teach him well on safety.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If I believed everything I heard bad (or good) about the various makes and models I would own one of everything and none of them would work. Good advice.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I thought about trying that, but was afraid I'd get shot by her dad.
>
My friends call it cosmic justice that my first Born was a daughter! :D

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
One of my co-workers bought a Hi-Point, for his first gun. Right out of the box he put 5 rounds in a 3" group 15 feet away. At the end of the day he was putting 5 rounds in a 2" group 20 feet away. He now has over 250 rounds through it with no problems. Best of all he only paid $150 for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have heard about folks buying several of these. One for every room in the house. Not a bad strategy. Like someone else said if it FTF's you could beat somebody with it.

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
Good job, CC.
Now point him to the Hi-Point torture tests on youtube by Iraqiveteran. That'll make him happy.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You sir, are an Ambassador of Good Will :angel:for the Second Amendment!

Keep on "keeping on".:thumb:

By the way, there's nothing wrong with a Hi Point is there? We've all seen the torture test those two guys put that C9 through!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
good job.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
32,481 Posts
Nice job and good going!!

He might avail himself of a NRA or NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation basic handgun class. You might want to approach him on that.We all have to start somewhere and this would give him the chance.
I'm sure you can teach him what he needs to know, but a decent basic education cannot hurt either.

Both the class and you are getting him off on the right foot or will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts