Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I hit the range yesterday, I hit the motherlode, picking up over 600 .223/5.56 casings. Some were fresh, some were only slightly tarnished. Since they had been in the snow/ice/water, I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to dry them out. I used the wife's bacon pan so they would stand up, allowing the water to evaporate out through the neck. Tonight, I was sorting by headstamp/caliber marking, as most of it was LC brass. About a dozen had a light green "corrosion" inside the neck, but not the casing itself. The date stamp appeared to be 75 or 76. The newer dated casings were all clean inside the neck. I was able to get the "corrosion" out with a few passes of a .223 bore brush. It reminded me of some of the Yugo M67 casings I've found left at the range after a few rain showers.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
To my knowledge Lake City MILSPEC, or NATO 5.56mm ammo has never used a corrosive primer.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
What you saw is most likely a sealant. Military ammo has a sealed & crimped primer and I've pulled bullets that have had a sealant on them and inside the neck but it was a brownish color.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
What you saw is most likely a sealant. Military ammo has a sealed & crimped primer and I've pulled bullets that have had a sealant on them and inside the neck but it was a brownish color.
You beat me to the punch! I buy pulled .223 bullets for plinking and they come primarily from demilitarized military ammo and all these bullets have a greenish sealant - like ring-around the collar...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sealant is plausible. It looked like the green corrosion you see on copper, but came off easily with a brass brush. It

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Could have been some oxidation on the brass, I see that here, especially if the brass got a salt water bath from high tide.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,424 Posts
High Tide? in Montana?

:shocked:

Reactions: .452dia

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, some guys do bring their own de-icer for the concrete bays. It was interesting that it was inside the case neck, and not on the outside. Since it was only a few casings, I set those aside for making dum dums for FTF drills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts