Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2002 85CHSS at a pawn shop the other day without doing much research. He didn't offer much info as to model and so forth just that this is what his wife and daughters carry. It looks nearly new. After adding hogue grips and firing around 15 shots, I was able to shoot a neat 3" pattern with five quick shots. Ok, I love the gun but think he overcharged at $350.00. I was suckered in because he had $459.00 on the tag. Actually bought this for my wife, but I want it now.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
$350 is a reasonable price for the gun. You did just fine.

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
You got a great gun for a good price. Enjoy.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Ok, I love the gun but think he overcharged at $350.00.
Last year around this time CDNN was selling 3" 85's in blue or stainless for $299, brand new. A lot of water has gone over the dam since then, though. 350 strikes me as a little high for a used 85, but not too outrageous. Besides, how can you put a price on love? :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Does the $350 include any other fees/taxes? If yes I'd say it was an OK deal...not great by good! Also the polished 85 is not available anymore per Taurus site, so if you and/or wife liked the 85 because of the polished finish, that's a plus. And by buying local you were able to fondle (ie inspect it) the firearm before purchasing.

If I remember correctly, CDNN's price was actually $299 plus their $19.99 shipping fee, so it was actually $319.99 plus any local FFL fees you incur. CDNN often offers free shipping on many items but rarely on firearms or ammo. And if they do offer free shipping on a firearm or ammo, I've found their pricing to be slightly higher than market to cover the shipping.

IMHO, sometimes those add-on fees that can make or break a deal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't lose sleep over if you paid little more for it. It's a great gun, go out to the range and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Have to take your area in consideration as well. In S. FL. that was a pretty good price, used guns sell high in S. FL., almost as high as new guns.

·
Registered
79 Posts
$350 sound like a reasonable price if it’s in the like new condition you said. I think we all have some ‘buyer's remorse’ after we let go of money. Don’t let that get in the way of enjoying a quality gun. The pawn broker made his profit and you didn’t get suckered.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,412 Posts
If it is within reason, which it apparently was for you, then I buy it. If I find it later at a lower price, I just remember; 1. Look at how much more time I've had to enjoy mine, 2. If I hadn't bought mine when I did, would this one have been here.

Nice, enjoy!

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 1989 model 85 blue 2" that I wouldn't take $350.00 for. I bought it as my first CC piece, but my wife likes it so much she claimed it as hers.
I don't think you got hurt any buying that revolver. Although you may have to find a second one for your wife if you claim it as yours!

·
Registered
119 Posts
CRAAAAAAPP!! A new dealer near me has a 2" 85 FS SS with 150 rounds through it for $250. Was traded in my a local LEO for something different. I have been debating if I can do it for a week now. I shouldn't spend money on another gun, but I KNEW this was a great deal! PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!

Reactions: Tdivy

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't think all stainless or polished are currently available so I think you did fine. I think the 85 is only available as an Ultralite these days. Enjoy your gun and don't worry about it. All that matters is that you are happy with the price you paid for a gun you like.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congratulations and don't worry about the cost too much. It wasn't outrageous.

I bought a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W a couple of weeks back and I know that I paid a premium for it but I'd been looking for one for 2 years. Speak about hen's teeth. I was willing to pay the extra, although it hurts to know you are being overcharged, because I didn't want to wait another 2 years to get the gun. It was worth it to me and it's fun to shoot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As the old maxim states: something is only worth what one is willing to pay for it. You were willing to pay $350 so unless you are going to sell it, why worry?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No, I think you did fine. I tend not to worry (or care) what others think of what I paid.....if I feel like I got what I wanted then I am happy with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts