Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Dick's Sporting Goods destroying unsold assault rifles

3K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  MisterNoisy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wonder if they are going to have a deep discount sale to at least sell whatever inventory they have. Heck, I might go in to my local store and make some ridiculous offer just to see if they'd take it. Probable better than just destroying them. But they are clearly going though the liberal 'virtue signaling' display to demonstrate how concerned they are. Let the healing begin!

#6 ·
I can't believe shareholders are ok with destroying inventory in the range of tens of millions of dollars to "feel good". I'd want the BODs heads on platters for wasting MY investment cash. Hell, I'd probably sue the snot out of them.

#14 ·
Oh BOY! MATH TIME......

Dick's has 610 stores....I wonder how much inventory they'd carry on average for something like that? 10 per store? Eh...let's call it 8. I'm not counting Field & Stream stores.

610 x 8 = 4,880 rifles. So what's average wholesale? $450 maybe? That'd be $2,196,000. So not tens of millions. They'd have to have inventory like 75 per store for that.

But I could be low. "Millions" for sure if not "Tens of millions".

But they also had net income of $323 million on revenue of $8.59 billion. A few million might cut their net profit by 1%. Not a big deal. They probably lose more than that to shoplifting.

#7 ·
It has taken more than a few years for pro-second amendment people to forgive a few sports places for refusing to sell or pulling AR's off the rack after Sandy Hook.

We don't have a Dick's around Lubbock. so Ill never know what I am missing! :)

#8 ·
I read that today. Our Dicks had a bunch of their staff quit that were between 18 and 21. They had problems opening their stores for a few weeks.

And they are destroying all their stock that are in there stores!

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Academy is just down the road and have doubled their inventory!
Their selling AR'S. And 30 round mags like crazy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Academy did pull their AR's off the racks a few years back, they were still availble and carried at the stores, but were not on display. For the most part, that has been forgiven.

Reactions: 45 Forever
#20 ·
If the sales figures of my local Dicks is any indication, they won't be for long. I heard the story yesterday, and had to go to a store that was next to Dicks. After I got done, just out of curiosity I went inside Dicks. All of the other businesses in that shopping center had a lot of cars in front of them, but not Dicks.
The only people I saw inside were employees. I literally could not find one other person in there at that time besides myself that didn't work there, and I walked around the entire store.

#13 ·
Wow...:unsure:...talk about choosing a name that clearly identifies the company. I went in their store once, total waste of time. I was looking for sporting goods but it was more like Bon-Ton or The Gap, mostly just yuppie a clothing store.

#15 ·
There are companies that lose my business because they take a political position opposing mine. Dicks, Target, Disney ...

I don't mind one saying they will not sell ammo to a minor, OK But Dicks not selling AR's is all posturing, there is no shortage of AR's. Target telling me that the ladies room is now whatever you want it to be...Disney being Disney.

Walmart supplies product, that is their function in life. Sell product, make $. Somewher there is some statistician that has decided the move will improve Dick's position with Libs more than it would hurt 2nd amendment supporters. Or maybe they don't care about the business of making $ and they are in the business of making statements. Sell the stock now.

Next week Dicks will be selling weed but not AR's.

#16 ·
And the top right banner on Taurus Armed is Academy Sports. Isn't America great, we still have freedom and choices ... except we have to buy premium heathcare.

Reactions: FreeInAZ
#22 ·
I've never planned to buy a scary-the-ignorant rifle from them. I can still get them elsewhere.

It's their property, they can do as they please with it.

My money is my property. I can do as I please with it.

#24 ·
I don't know how much I have spent at Dick's but whatever it was, it was too much.

And what will this do? Hurt their shareholders for sure, those weren't Saturday Night Specials. Have an impact on gun violence? Please. You don't even have to hold up the "Laugh Track" cue cards before the gales of laughter begin. Alienate their customer base? Probably not. In the long run, gun owners will be taking their money to more friendly places and how much that will effect them is unknown.

#25 ·
I don't like to buy guns at places like this. Only did it once, bought my Judge at Gander M 'coz it was hugely on sale but I don't think I'd do it again. It was just weird, buyin' a gun at a department store...:unsure:...kinda' like goin' to a restaurant for a haircut. I prefer to buy my guns from someone who knows what they're sellin'...:dry:...not just which tennis shoes light-up and which video game is the hottest.

#26 ·
Virtue signalling at its best. Doing what they can to ensure the spa and yoga crowd understand their social commitment.

What would have been wrong with donating them to local law enforcement, if it was simply a matter of ensuring they didn't accidentally sell them to a crazed psycho manic depressive psychotropic-ridden killer?

Instead, they wanted to make sure the perpetually-offended chardonnay set understood that the evil icky-poo black rifles had been permanently prevented from ever inspiring another liberal to commit a massacre.

Reactions: rhugg
#27 ·
Their guns, they can do as they like. My money, so can I. I won't spend any of it at Dick's.

Reactions: pegasus
#29 ·
As others have pointed out, they had to pay for them, so doing this doesn't in any way harm the gun industry, or gun ownership, it just means that another can be made and another purchased elsewhere. with whoever made those laughing that the company ate that money. Just like we are doing. Im an sure that any stock holders who lean left probably bought more stock over this, and the stock they bought was probably what people who are right leaning and still had it, sold.

The store itself was always overpriced in the extreme, and the product sold was not better then anyone elses to justify the cost. They are pretty much the gander mountain or best buy of the sport stores. Plenty of other places to shop and those places would save you money to boot.

And to anyone who supports ownership of firearms, this might be enough to get them to never even try to go to the store again. I'll admit i have been to a few of them, twice when 22lr was impossible to get, and i heard the one about 30 minutes away had gotten some cci 500 bricks, they did, and sold me 3 at normal retail price, not even dicks marked up price. that is pretty much it.

Reactions: Divebum
#30 ·
well at least those evil, scary, black , assault rifles won't be sneaking up on customers and hurting them while they are shopping for their golf clubs and fancy tennis shoes.

#32 ·
And just like that, Dick's Sporting Goods not only flushed untold amounts of money down the toilet, but also alienated an untold amount of consumers who support the Second Amendment and disagree with their leftist grandstanding.

That being said, I'm sure that a fair amount of those rifles (or at least the parts which aren't Serial Numbered) were "rescued" by employees who were tasked with overseeing their destruction.

#33 ·
I've only gone in for ammo sales other than that way overpriced is a understatement and their knowledge behind the gun counter is worthless!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.