Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get ready for work but just decided to take a look at their stock info and I don't have time to post more info. I hope the stock continues on it current trend.

Their symbol is DKS on the NYSE

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Looks like they down 33% over the last 12 months..

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into that. I'll point out that entire sector of retail is hurting. Gander Mountain went bankrupt. Bass Pro bought Cabelas, but the Gander bankruptcy drove down the price. Taken in the context of their competitors they ain't doing half bad. They are still here. They are profitable. These day in retail that's a win.

Bass Pro is private so we don't really know how they are doing.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't read too much into that. I'll point out that entire sector of retail is hurting. Gander Mountain went bankrupt. Bass Pro bought Cabelas, but the Gander bankruptcy drove down the price. Taken in the context of their competitors they ain't doing half bad. They are still here. They are profitable. These day in retail that's a win.

Bass Pro is private so we don't really know how they are doing.
I get that the industry in general has taken a hit but I looked at the week and month charts and Dick's took a pretty good hit around the 12th. I don't remember for sure but I'm thinking the down turn was as a result of announcement. But then I'm certainly no stock expert!

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
If I were an investor in their stock, I would have started worrying by now that they might start putting holes in the bottom of their canoes and kayaks, removed the strings from their bows, and taken the air out of their footballs, in addition to destroying their perfectly good AR's. :icon_rolleyes:

I used to take my son there and let him climb the wall, when he was a lot younger, it was a fun place to go.....but in the past few years they've just gotten crazy and I haven't been there in a long time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Need low overhead to compete. Bass Pro and Cabelas are amusement parks but they need to turn visits into $. Dicks is neither an amusement park or low overhead. I propose they are getting out of the gun business because they can't compete with where ever we buy guns. Good tactic to redefine a loss as a win. Try to get points out of what you are going to do anyway. They probably even had a game plan to wait for the next mass shooting opportunity. Hey, get them unisex bathrooms too.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Need low overhead to compete. Bass Pro and Cabelas are amusement parks but they need to turn visits into $. Dicks is neither an amusement park or low overhead. I propose they are getting out of the gun business because they can't compete with where ever we buy guns. Good tactic to redefine a loss as a win. Try to get points out of what you are going to do anyway. They probably even had a game plan to wait for the next mass shooting opportunity. Hey, get them unisex bathrooms too.
That strategy ran Sports Authority out of business about 6 years ago. They catered to the anti-gun crowd and went against their roots, and paid the price for it. Serves the leadership and the company right to start cowtowing to liberal agendas.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
That strategy ran Sports Authority out of business about 6 years ago. They catered to the anti-gun crowd and went against their roots, and paid the price for it. Serves the leadership and the company right to start cowtowing to liberal agendas.
You're exactly correct, sir.

I might add, if you think you're going to compete with Amazon, selling sneakers and tee shirts, you're sadly mistaken.

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
My local gun shop/hardware store is celebrating their 150th year in business. Same family has owned it now for 5 generations, still sell ARs and they seem to be doing alright.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts

We never had a sports authority around here, so i am speculating, how much of the store was dedicated to firearms and related merchandise? In dicks that is a very, very small area a couple of half isle racks and a tiny corner of the store with maybe 50 guns on display, at least of the 4 dicks i have been to over the years. Gander for instance had the entire back of the store dedicated to this, academy has a large section of the side of a store as well as 4-5 isles. At gander or academy for instance you can get reloading supplies, targets, including steel ones, and even clay throwing machines that are electronic. At dicks, i remember a few rifles, ammo under them, not out where people can pick it up as in the other stores, one maybe 2 half isles that have paper targets, hearing and eye protection. At least in my experience the store has a very, very small firearms section, and overall i would think based on that, the impact of dropping all firearms related merchandise wont even be something they notice. all but one of the stores in the knoxville tn area already did it many years ago, the area that was the firearms is now fishing. the one remaining store that has, or at least the last time i was in it, had, firearms has about 20 rifles, all bolt action, and 1 half isle with hearing and eye protection. I went into it because i was waiting on my wife for us to go out to eat at a place near across the parking lot from it, and boy did i feel out of place in that store, everyone in it looked like a hipster, i didnt even see any old guys looking over the golf section.

Reactions: JoeyS and darbo

·
Registered
166 Posts
We never had a sports authority around here, so i am speculating, how much of the store was dedicated to firearms and related merchandise? In dicks that is a very, very small area a couple of half isle racks and a tiny corner of the store with maybe 50 guns on display, at least of the 4 dicks i have been to over the years. Gander for instance had the entire back of the store dedicated to this, academy has a large section of the side of a store as well as 4-5 isles. At gander or academy for instance you can get reloading supplies, targets, including steel ones, and even clay throwing machines that are electronic. At dicks, i remember a few rifles, ammo under them, not out where people can pick it up as in the other stores, one maybe 2 half isles that have paper targets, hearing and eye protection. At least in my experience the store has a very, very small firearms section, and overall i would think based on that, the impact of dropping all firearms related merchandise wont even be something they notice. all but one of the stores in the knoxville tn area already did it many years ago, the area that was the firearms is now fishing. the one remaining store that has, or at least the last time i was in it, had, firearms has about 20 rifles, all bolt action, and 1 half isle with hearing and eye protection. I went into it because i was waiting on my wife for us to go out to eat at a place near across the parking lot from it, and boy did i feel out of place in that store, everyone in it looked like a hipster, i didnt even see any old guys looking over the golf section.
The danger in taking reactionary political stands as a business is not in losing just that segment of the business. Dick's has alienated a large number of customers for all of their products over their very public stand over a small fraction of their business. So, while they perhaps thought they would only lose AR sales to 18 year olds, they have instead lost not only a ton of gun and ammunition sales, but everything else those same customers would have otherwise bought throughout the store. Those customers have kids who play sports or play sports themselves, wear team jerseys and sport footwear, etc. They failed to realize the impact that such a public stance against civil rights would have against them.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
We only had a Sports Authority here for a few years before their demise, but I read once that they used to be into selling guns in a big way, once upon a time. The gun counter at the one I went to here was, quite frankly, a joke. The long guns were essentially some very unremarkable Remington shotguns and one or two 22 rifles, totalling about 10, no handguns, and a smattering of ammo - I think they had a small table on top of the counter with a total of 20 boxes of various types of ammo. That's it. If I remember right, their airgun stock was much healthier than their real-gun stock. It was no wonder the store was always virtually empty and nobody talked about it.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
ROFLMAO, whoever the CEO of Dicks is should be fired. A sporting goods company that is anti-gun? That is as bad as Toy R Us supporting Planned Parenthood's abortion clinics, they are both just eliminating their current and future customers. Toys R Us is gone now and I suspect Dicks will soon follow.

Cabelas has the best advert I have seen, "If you are 18-20 years old, we will sell you a gun because we are not Dicks." Every time I see it I laugh.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dick's may not have very many guns, but they own Field and Stream, which has a pretty extensive selection of guns. It takes up quite a bit of their store once you factor in many isles of accessories, ammo, gun safes, targets, etc. Not quite as big as the local Bass Pro but close. The gun section might actually be a bit bigger but there are probably more accessories. Either way, if they lose customers who bought ANYTHING other than ARs due to their idiocy, they really hurt themselves. I used to go about once a week and at least buy a box of ammo or something. The weekend before their AR announcement I spent about $75 on some match ammo in a couple different calibers.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, didn't know that Field & Stream belongs to Dicks. I wonder if they are pulling all their assault type weapons and destroying them?

Reactions: darbo and BigBlue

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Our 2 local Dick's had reasonably well stocked gun counters (this is Texas) and I bought my Maverick 88 there only because someone gave me a $100 gift card and they had a sale on it. Haven't been in either one for years, tho. Certainly won't be going there at any point in the future. Both stores are very large mall retail locations, BTW. They are really big Dick's.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Dick's stiffed me on a Troy A/R Black Friday special. This happened right after Sandy Hook, I believe.
Haven't stepped in the store since...not for a pair of sox.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
ROFLMAO, whoever the CEO of Dicks is should be fired. A sporting goods company that is anti-gun? That is as bad as Toy R Us supporting Planned Parenthood's abortion clinics, they are both just eliminating their current and future customers. Toys R Us is gone now and I suspect Dicks will soon follow.

Cabelas has the best advert I have seen, "If you are 18-20 years old, we will sell you a gun because we are not Dicks." Every time I see it I laugh.
It's supposedly not actually an ad from Cabela's HQ (but it probably should be) Cabela's and Bass Pro have allegedly been getting emails and social media comments from anti gunners (some of which have probably never even been in those stores anyway) saying they will no longer shop there until they follow Dicks's lead.

Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's pressured on rifles after Dick's policy shift - Business Insider

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/retail/2018/03/13/assault-weapons-gun-retail/32900133/

“I don’t think our rights should be impeached because of the wrongdoings of others,” said Lindamood, who owns a handgun. Lindamood said she doesn’t like assault rifles, but thinks Cabela’s has a right to sell them.

A casual look around Cabela’s revealed the strength of its gun business. There weren’t many people browsing the clothing racks or the camping equipment in the 225,000-square-foot store, which has its own indoor fish pond and dozens of taxidermic animals in a multi-story display. But in the first-floor gun department, a sign behind the counter showed 13 people waiting to be helped. The department even has its own check-out area.
Terry Hiske, a former environmental official for the state, was shopping for a new fish finder at the store. He said it doesn’t bother him that Cabela’s sells assault weapons, because he sees a limited use for them. Hiske himself owns a gun and occasionally hunts deer, but he doesn’t own an assault weapon.
“Unfortunately it’s usually the idiots who are buying them, who like the biggest toy possible,” he said.
Most gun buyers make their purchases at independent shops, not big retailers, according to the National Shooting Sports Federation, an advocacy group. In 2016, big box stores like Bass Pro Shops or Dick’s sold around 23 percent of traditional hunting rifles and 12 percent of assault-style rifles, which are dubbed “modern sporting rifles” in the industry.
But for outdoor retailers, that 23 percent is still very big business. Bass Pro Shops, which operates around 185 Bass Pro and Cabela’s stores, is a private company and doesn’t publicly release its financial results. But in 2016, before the companies merged, Cabela’s said hunting equipment made up 48 percent of its merchandise revenue, or $1.7 billion.

"Don't believe everything you read or see on the Internet" Abe Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts

Well, I mean, it could be worse. Ol' Bill Ruger could still be alive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts