Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am engaged in a dialogue with friends in Australia and New Zealand via Facebook. One of them started a conversation after watching a local television show about gun confiscation in Australia and the resulting increase in crime, of which my friends seem to be ignorant, or ignore completely. The discussion has turned to what they perceive as rampant American Wild West thinking, in that we solve all of our problems with guns. My intent is politely share our thinking as both Americans (owning firearms is ingrained in a lot of us) and members of Taurus Armed.

I need your help. I have read many posts, quotes, and references in this forum as to why we arm ourselves, but my recollection as to their location is somewhat vague. (I never did have all that good a memory, and being within a few months of turning 61, it's not what it used to be.) I'm looking for essays that have been referenced, and a few signature lines that quote sound reasoning. In particular, one of you has a signature that states that we arm ourselves not because we are afraid, but so that we don't have to be afraid. Other examples are more than welcome. Additionally, we have some very intelligent members here with a gift for presenting arguments in well-written formats, to which I can only aspire.

I'm not going to argue my point with my friends. These are salt-of-the-earth, every day folks whom I have come to know and love, but have not met face-to-face. I just want to share some American history that explains our preoccupation with firearms, and present sound but gentle facts that will help them to understand us.

Now (and this next is a loaded question): Any input?

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
About what???? :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well, my memory is not that great either (and I'm only fixin' to hit 57 - "it's not the age, it's the mileage").

But one of our esteemed brothers here said recently, I think it was in a letter to his reps/senators, about the Second Amendment.
The quote that stuck out to me was along the lines of, "why would our Founding Fathers see a need to write in protection of a hobby as an amendment?"

Obviously in response to the leftist stance that the 2nd protects hunters/sport shooters.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The main reason for the need to protect our 2nd amendment is this: the 2nd amendment is the ONLY right which gives us a last line of defense to protect every other right.

There is no point in being given a right by anyone (man or God or nature or whomever) if that right can be taken on a whim. It is then a priviledge. Our country and freedoms were founded on rights and they shall not be infringed.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Point them towards increased numbers of robberies, assaults and rapes over in England since
the government has taken away the right to own a firearm for most of its citizens. Other
European nations are going down the same road since they have enacted gun control.
The criminals are having a field day over across the pond since they have nothing to fear from
the unarmed people they victimize.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
One of the essential differences between the European and American experiences is the Monarchies/Aristocracy did not trust the common man with weapons so they restricted access to firearms and in some countries swords and other weapons. In the USA (prior to it becoming a nation) firearms were necessary for colonization and hunting. Self reliance played a huge role in simply surviving interactions with the native population and other Europeans. Introduce slavery and firearms become an obvious means of social control.

The two recommendations go into greater detail.

I checked out Amazon. Buy this book. Buy it used, it is a bargain. A definite deal, a good read...have I made my point? This is a National Report that I bought for myself and my nephew decades ago! Buying second copy today.

I saved you the cheapest book twenty eight cents! This is really a collectors item so if you want it for yourself buy a better copy. Send a copy to your friends and become a hero...if your frugal just pass on the link.

This came out in my graduate school days brought back memories of hanging out in the Atlanta Federal Bookstore and spending money. I bought another report by the Commission for a $1.25 back in the day!

Violence in America...I just bought/ordered this book for thirty cents, postage about $4.00!
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Violence in America: Historical and Comparative Perspectives

Another good book for what your friends want to know.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: The Gun in America: The Origins of a National Dilemma (Contributions in American History)

The Gun In America: The Origins of a National Dilemma by James Anderson and Lee Kennett, 1975. If you can get this buy it too. Looks like they have some copies for less than a dollar! Good historical coverage. Your library might have it or get it for you thru Inter-Library loan.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Just tell them if the USA with all it's guns hadn't bailed them out in WWII, they would be speaking Japanese.

Ask them how they are going to fend off an invader today with their puny armed forces and no help? Do they think their Limey Cousins have a way to help them?

I have no sympathy for any country that gives up their arms, they deserve what they get. Including rapist and ax murders. You don't need friends like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being an Aussie and proud of it the simple answer is to remind them you still have rights. We don't only privileges. Gun rights are something you have grown up with we haven't. But i remember a time when everyone felt safe leaving home with out a phone now if they forget it they go home to pick it up. My opinion is there is no problem with guns just some of the nuts that have them. But we let them drive cars and they kill a lot more people every year. Dave

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
The history of humanity has usually tended towards the good of the collective overriding the good of the individual...and this has led to things like- slavery (of ALL races), serfdom, conscripted service in the King's army to fight his self-serving wars, inquisitions, genocides, Imperial campaigns, subservience to royalty, etc.

One country, OUR country, tried to rectify this historical imbalance, in some small way, with something called "The Bill of Rights." But government - the collective - will ALWAYS be more powerful than the individual. And governments have, historically, ALWAYS steamrolled over that which presents no resistance. The 2nd Amendment provides the means for that resistance.

The good of the collective IS important, and is expressed in many ways - government, culture and community. Those are good things, but the balancing act between the collective and the individual must be maintained, or those good things will eventually become bad things.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
It's been said on here many times, "An armed society is a polite society." You are less likely to go all cowboy on someone if you know they may be armed. Look at the states where there are stricter gun control laws and the people have a reputation of being some of the rudest people around. Then compare them to other states where there is less gun control and the people have a reputation of being more polite and considerate of their fellow man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.