Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been trying a new tact for aiming and shooting.

I seem to be good at aligning the front and rear sights with each other. But keeping the little target birdy sitting on his perch is no so good.

If I try to hold on target things move around in un predictable directions.
So lately I have been aiming high to get the sights aligned. Then slowly dropping down until the birdy passes his perch. Then breaking the trigger.

Is this a poor practice?

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
For defensive shooting, we teach aiming "Center-Mass".

Here is sight alignment, and sight picture...it is impossible for the human eye to focus on two things at the same time. Get proper sight picture and "focus" on the "Front Sight"; the rear sight and target will be a bit fuzzy...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would tend to agree with Moondawg when it comes to training for defensive shooting, but my buddy has an old Ruger MKII with a 10" bull barrel. It is a great shooter, but very hard to hold your sight alignment. We shoot it the way you described, start above the target, slowly lower your arms, and time the trigger break so it comes just above the normal sight alignment. Your follow through will put the point of impact in the X ring. This would be for target shooting only, and not the way that I normally shoot with other weapons.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds to me like that paper needs to be shot.
The paper has always been put down in the end.

But the fuzzy thing moondawg mentions is a serious pain. My walking around glasses lets me see the 'o' in the coke can. But the sights are fuzzy. If I use my computer glasses the sights are perfect but where's the can???

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
The front sight is atop the gun's muzzle.

When the bullet exits the gun's muzzle it will impact where the front sight was aimed upon firing.

If your shots are high and right, or low and left, that's where the front sight was aligned at the sound of bang.

Where most folks "fug-up" is getting proper sight alignment/sight picture, then "jerking" the trigger, thus pulling the sights (and shot) low & left; or "refocusing" their eyes on the "target" instead of the "front sight" at the point of primer ignition, therefore making it impossible to maintain proper sight alignment at the breaking shot.

In the words of the 1987 Miami FBI shoot out hero, Special Agent Ed Morales who was asked by the media...

Q: "What was going through your mind as you approached the perpatrator firing away?"

A: "Three things, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT".

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
I would advise you acquire the target, take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger while exhaling

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
One thing to do in order to strengthen your "handgun muscles" is get a large can of beans, preferably one that weighs more than your gun. Sit on the couch and hold it out in front of you with 2 hands somewhat like a handgun grip. Start timing yourself to see how long you can hold it up and steady, and just build on that. You will develop muscle strength and endurance in your arms and shoulders, so that won't be the factor in a shaky gun.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
One thing to do in order to strengthen your "handgun muscles" is get a large can of beans, preferably one that weighs more than your gun. Sit on the couch and hold it out in front of you with 2 hands somewhat like a handgun grip. Start timing yourself to see how long you can hold it up and steady, and just build on that. You will develop muscle strength and endurance in your arms and shoulders, so that won't be the factor in a shaky gun.
Or by doing lots of 32 oz curls. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts