Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all My name is Ali I am from Pakistan and bought this Taurus 809e in 2015. i normally never shoot more than 1 magazine.

however some days back i shot about 50 rounds in about 1.5 to 2 hours.The shooting went well without any issues. however when stripped the gun for cleaning i saw a crack in the main central support part. i am attaching a picture.

I request you all to please guide me :

if this is something dangerous?

if Taurus can send me the part can i repair it myself as in Pakistan i dont have any taurus representation.

please guide how can i change this part my self as i love this gun and cannot handover to some half cooked local gunsmithRegardsAli

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I don't think that's an easy fix. You may have to find a gunsmith, or send it back to Taurus.
They don't make the 809 anymore. As I understand it, the TH9 and TH9C are the newer versions of the 809 and 809C.
I recently got a TH9C, and I love it. I have about 400 rounds through it with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
35,543 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I'm not a gunsmith either so cannot weigh in on the issue with your gun. Good luck with it! I'm going to move your thread over to Gunsmithing however to attract attention from those who have worked on these pistols.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Is it cracked in addition to the hole that is shown in the corner, or is it only the hole? If it is only the hole I would think that if returning the pistol is out of the question, I think that a good qualified could fill that hole in.

I pulled three Taurus 809 pistols out of my safe and from the looks of where this damage is it appears that this is where the barrel drops down and locks in place forward of the feed ramp. Not sure what pressure build up in this area are, but would not figure it to be much if any. Is there any protrusion of metal on the barrel where these two pieces drop fit in place?

This doesn't look like it would be a piece that Taurus would ship out for a DIY repair.

I'm sure that I wasn't of much help with your issue, but good luck.

·
Vendor
140 Posts
That looks less like a crack and more like a oval shaped casting flaw. It would be good to get it fixed, but that isnt one of the major stress points in the gun. If sending it back to Taurus really isnt an option for you, I personally would keep using the gun and keep an eye on it. If it stays as is you should be fine, if it starts expanding or cracking out further I would treat it more seriously.

What I may or may not do personally might not match up with your own preferences and personal safety, so use your best judgement and decide for yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts