Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member... Searched for this, but didn't come up with anything about the 24/7.

Anybody know of instructions to detail strip the slide and frame? I want to break it down for a detailed cleaning, but I can't find any information except for the exploded parts diagram. I'm sure I can figure it out, but I don't like ripping a gun apart without some kind of information. If nobody has the info, perhaps somebody would like to get together to create a photo tutorial.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its the little plastic part that looks like a lightbulb on the rear of you firearm just above the serial #. You need to remove it to acess the striker assembly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting. That almost sounds like a part that should be in a spares kit. When I cleaned my OSS out of the box, I noticed a few parts that looked like I could seriously mess them up without too much effort.

Has anyone ever made up a list of what parts should be in a spares kit for a 24/7?

·
Registered
53 Posts
barta said:
youtube.com is where i learned. just search it and it will bring up multiple videos.
Could you paste the link for the detail strip video? I searched youtube and couldn't find any.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
baryon said:
Could you paste the link for the detail strip video? I searched youtube and couldn't find any.
+1 All I found were field strip videos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm interested in a detailed tutorial also. I have cleaned my gun several times, but not knowing the correct way to disassemble the area with the firing pin makes me uneasy. So far I've just been spraying Gun Scrubber through the little holes on the bottom of the slide and letting it dry. Then dropping 4 or 5 drops of oil in the holes and trying to rotate it around so all the small parts will get lubricated.

Same with the grip, I'm sure that needs to be totally disassemble too and cleaned periodically. I'm going to look through some threads for some recommend cleaner that can be used on the grip and plastic components that want damage the material.

·
Administrator
17,827 Posts
X Warlord said:
So far I've just been spraying Gun Scrubber through the little holes on the bottom of the slide and letting it dry. Then dropping 4 or 5 drops of oil in the holes and trying to rotate it around so all the small parts will get lubricated.
Actually, that works better than you might think. Did that with my PT92 for years and after some 17,000 rounds went to replace the Firing Pin Spring (preventative maintenance) and found all the slide internals were completely clean!

X Warlord said:
Same with the grip, I'm sure that needs to be totally disassemble too and cleaned periodically. I'm going to look through some threads for some recommend cleaner that can be used on the grip and plastic components that want damage the material.
Don't believe disassembly is necessary here either, as there is not as much mechanism there. I am also looking for more poly friendly solvents. Have been using a generic Windex on the frame.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been using the plastic safe Gun Scrubber (grey can/lid) for the entire gun. Haven't had any problems with any of my guns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only own 2 guns, a Smith M&P fullsize 9 and a 24/7 pro c. Both manuals
specifically state not to take the gun apart past the field stripping procedure
outlined in the manual.

That tells me that the gun doesnt need regular cleaning beyond what you can
reach after a field strip. Thats what my dealer told me also.

After you put 20,000 rounds thru a gun, you should probably have a smith
look at it for wear of parts and clean inside.

Since I know nothing about smithing, I'm going to heed the manuals advice.
Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts