Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about picking up a Desantis Insider IWB holster for my new TCP 738 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this set up. I question one thing in particular. Desantis list the same holster for the TCP, LCP, and P3AT. I have a Galco Stow N go for my Kel Tec P3AT and the TCP WILL NOT fit in it, so I know the 2 guns are not completely interchangable.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I have found that many, (certainly not all), IWB holsters are constructed from softer, more pliable material to reduce chafing. In that regard, they can accommodate a variety of pistols of the same basic size.

I am unfamiliar with the specific Desantis holster you are considering, but unless it is hard, wet molded to a specific weapon, their claim of compatibility may be valid.

Here is a neat comparison chart that I have used often to compare size and shape of various "mouse guns":

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Good luck with your new TCP- Be safe!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Galco for my P3AT is pretty stiff around the top, so I guess that is why the TCp does not fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found this to be the case on both IWB and my Nemesis pocket holster- the trigger guard shape and slightly thicker dimensions of the TCP make it a little too tight of a fit. When drawing the gun, the holster often comes with it. I am looking for an IWB that says it is specifically for the TCP and will post my solution once I find one. If you do purchase the Insider, please post your results as that is one I have considered as well.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
here is a picture of my desantis i carry my Kahr pm45 in. it is comfortable and easy to take off if your are about to enter somewhere off limits to firearms. photos from dales phone 273.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
here is a picture of my desantis i carry my Kahr pm45 in. it is comfortable and easy to take off if your are about to enter somewhere off limits to firearms. View attachment 19367
I just ordered the Desantis Nemesis inside the pocket holster, but I have been thinking about maybe betting a IWB or OWB holster for my TCP as well. Do those metal clips scratch up a leather belt? I'm guessing that probably would leave lines down the leather and I don't want to mess up my customer belt. I guess I could get a nylon web belt for when using that holster or something though...

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I looked around and really did not like any of the commercial pocket holsters I saw and just decided to make my own. You can read about what I did about half way down on page 7 of the stickie in this forum on home made pocket holsters. I probably would have been satisfied with the first holster, but I wasn't paying attention and it came out right handed (I'm a lefty). What I look for in a pocket holster is that it consistently comes off as part of your drawing motion and if it doesn't you can still fire it with the holster on (and let the slide knock it off). It is really easy to make a pocket holster. If you don't want to stitch it, you can use glue and rivets.

If you want an IWB holster for it, Old Faithful Holsters makes a really nice kit. If you don't like the steel clips (which I don't) they will swap out the clips for some more Kydex that you can form yourself into clips. They have good tutorials and a forum on making your own holster, they even have a pre-stitched gun belt kit.

Inside Waistband Holster - Custom Pocket - Paddle Shoulder - Tactical Gear - Western Gun - Conceal Carry Holsters - Cross Draw Holster - Kydex Holster Belt - Ankle Duty Holsters

Here's my self made IWB holster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I received the Desantis Nemesis and it works quite well. So far that seems to be a good option for now. I guess I will see how I like it in the future...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found this to be the case on both IWB and my Nemesis pocket holster- the trigger guard shape and slightly thicker dimensions of the TCP make it a little too tight of a fit. When drawing the gun, the holster often comes with it. I am looking for an IWB that says it is specifically for the TCP and will post my solution once I find one. If you do purchase the Insider, please post your results as that is one I have considered as well.
I did get the insider and it is a also a little too tight. I like a snug fit, but this pushes the slide back just a little bit. All well I have a P3AT to use with it, so all is not lost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts