Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick and simple to update people and help those who find this; History-

In early 2010 I was denied buying a Walther p22. (To teach my Son) While on Active duty!

I started getting everything together for a VAF (Voluntary Appeals File) and get a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). After calling (website wasn’t very good back then) I put together a packet and shipped it off... Pictures, ID’s, Fingerprints, life under microscope, etc...

While I’m waiting my wife attempts to buy a Colt m4 (22 Cal. Model) DENIED! We’re not teaching my Son with a long rifle either... Now she is putting together a packet for a VAF & to get her UPIN. She ships hers off too.. (within a week?)

BACKGROUND. My wife - Clean as a whistle (speeding ticket x1 in lifetime)!, Me trouble as a teen, nothing warranting denial & got into the Army! Both of us served in the Army with Secret level (me) to Top Secret for her. I was honorably retired after an explosion thus taking my Purple Heart and awards for Valor calling it a career. My wife also Honorably retired.

About November 2010 here comes the UPINs! YEAH! (6-8 months?, Oh and I’m retired now!) We both go out and she picks something at one store, I pick something at another, Time to test those UPIN powers!....Me= DELAY, & Her = DELAY.... 1st thing we learned is UPIN = not much help.. Hey, at least we weren’t DENIED!

Gun after Gun, year after year, long gun or pistol, ALL but one, DELAY! (I still wonder why a Mosin was the only yes?), Long story short, We expected a delay every time. We just got used to it.....

Nov. 16th 2017, special ordered a Kimber 1911. Email Arrives Dec 1st to come pick up the weapon. At the store my info is Digitally entered and I ensured the clerk entered the info correct no less than 3x. DENIED! WHAT! It felt like I just got punched in the chest.

To the shock of the guy working the counter at Cabelas (Yes the gun manager said “With a UPIN?!!”, So he says Appeal & don’t bring your wife in to buy the weapon (which I agreed as smart), he’s holding the gun for 30 days (its paid for). I just got home, The Appeal has been sent. Including my VAF and UPIN info. Reason expected for denial? Not a clue. I’ve found one thread online explaining how something legally happened with a guy AFTER his VAF was opened and he received his UPIN. Me? Nothing, not even a speeding ticket? I’ll update this as soon as I get info. Apparently I can only call Tues-Fri? Correct me if I’m wrong...So, Filed the Appeal online and they state 5 business days until answer. I’ll update the thread.

Any Ideas, Suggestions or info would be great. My wife and I are taking our CC Class after Christmas as I refuse to be subjected to anymore humiliation. It doesn’t feel good doing everything right and having 20+ people looking at you like you’re a criminal, regardless if even 9/10 of them understood, the fact is I’m getting denied with my Son standing next to me. Adding frustration to this is me having to explain to him that he’s going to go through the same thing. He has the same name....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I went through a bit of the same frustration for a couple years. Was always getting delayed - twice the delay went to 30+ days - and in a big box store they will not relaes the weapon. Now this past summer I went in to buy a PT111 G2 - got the delay------3 days later it cleared..........no idea.I have thought to try to buy another to see if they fixed whatever was wrong in the first place. I made 100 phone calls - never did talk to anyone too bright.Good luck

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
In all the times I've bought guns, I've never had so much as a hiccup in the process. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to be denied like that, especially after having gone through all the channels to prevent such an issue.

I have heard of stories before where someone with the same name as person that was trying to by a gun had committed a crime and was wanted by the police or some similar scenario. Of course, the honest person was denied/delayed pending further investigation. Putting your Social Security number on the form is supposed to prevent that from happening. I always include it just so I don't get accused of something I didn't do and avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I get delayed almost every time. I though about applying for the UPIN, but that just raises another flag. I've never been denied, so am not affected to the extent of the OP. But it's still a pain since 1) you don't know why and 2) you don't know if there's something out there affecting other parts of your life.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Those of you have been delayed, do you have concealed carry permits?
I have a very common first and last name. I used to get delayed all the time. Once I got my CCW that issue vanished as a FFL is allowed to bypass the NICS check for holders of valid CCW permits in most states. Hell I've got a friend who while serving as a police officer would get delayed on every purchase. DOH!

I think the advice on getting your permits is a good one. Hopefully you don't live in a Commie state?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard of stories before where someone with the same name as person that was trying to by a gun had committed a crime and was wanted by the police or some similar scenario. Of course, the honest person was denied/delayed pending further investigation. Putting your Social Security number on the form is supposed to prevent that from happening. I always include it just so I don't get accused of something I didn't do and avoid the hassle.
#1. Oddly I have one of those names people always say “Can you spell that?” Or “is that Polish?” It was an adoption name... A name change has been considered (and not just due to the NICS check). Seems every person with my name has a “criminal record”. I checked, only about 4 in the U.S.

#2. We always put our Social Security #’s on the form. I (at least now) do not believe it helps. If it truly differentiated you from the criminal then how does it not? NICS definitively states the system is run by names? Our SSNs are not the same too.

#3 We are in Alaska! So we are a gun LOVING state and the support is here. I used to be in touch with Senator Mirkowski (& Begich before, bye, bye) & helped fight to get TRICARE (Military Insurance) rates raised in Alaska after getting thrown in the Wounded Warrior Unit and having to be flown to Washington State for better doctors because TRICARE paid pennys on the dollar (Alaska is supposed to be considered an “overseas tour”. Tried paying Docs same rates when everything is shipped in. Our newish Congressman Dan Sullivan replaced Begich. They dont rotate much in AK. Our Congressman Don Young has been in office since March 1973, He is the type who would help. We’ll see after the Appeal, he’s extremely senior in Congress and I guess that might need to be put to the test. Good man, Voted for all three of them in the end.

#4 CCW is a bypass here in Alaska as well. Even the Big Chain stores. I guess thats “our” fault? (Not really), but we Carry everyday, all day. CCW is not required in AK (I guess everyone does? Alaska State Troopers Show says we do?, Kinda exadurated) and until this last year (visiting the Northwest) we never really considered going to classes to teach us Laws we stay familiar with and shooting techniques that we practice with at Birchwood Shooting club (every 2 weeks like clock-work). So, Yes getting our Concealed Carry Permits is on the list and has been planned the last year for February (My wife’s getting a new Carry & holster for Christmas). That one wasn’t DENIED.... I’ll update when the Appeal info comes through. By the websites rules 5 Business days & thats Friday 8 Dec. 2017..Or Mon the 11th? I called and the recording says you can only call Tues-Fri now? Thanks Guys/Gals..

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Those of you have been delayed, do you have concealed carry permits?[/QUOTEI had my PTC on the last 2 times. The last time when I got the 3 day delay I went to the county sheriff and had them rerun my info because of it....they were perplexed and willing to do it as I stood there. Came back clean....2 days later my delay went to 'proceed'..coincidence????I heard all sorts of exceuses, from carrying a clearance in military (40 years ago), they switched my first and middle name on my SS# (been 60 years), similar name (?)....making application on weekend.......NOW - MN has now adopted the new guidelines for purchases, ir you hold a valid PTC that was issued post 2014 you no longer get the NICS check at MOST stores

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm so glad I live in a state where if you have your LTC, you show it during purchase and you bypass the background check. Makes life really easy. :zzz:
The Minnesota legislature recently made that change. Unfortunately it didn't apply to people like me that already had a permit. So I'll have to do a background check until I renew my carry permit, a little over a year from now. I always get delayed. I've done it with social security number and without. Same result.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The Minnesota legislature recently made that change. Unfortunately it didn't apply to people like me that already had a permit. So I'll have to do a background check until I renew my carry permit, a little over a year from now. I always get delayed. I've done it with social security number and without. Same result.
The date on the new MN reg is if your PTC expires after 8-1-19 you are good to go - so if you got your permit after 8-1-14 or renewed after that.

·
Registered
17,371 Posts
Any delay or denial should have to come with an explanation of why.

My local gun dealer told me he had one guy who got a delay and within half an hour, two cops showed up asking if the guy was still there. I never did find out what the deal on that was.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have the most common name in the world and I've never had a problem, even before my CFP. I've had federal background checks before my CFP years ago, maybe that's my ticket. :hmmmm:

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I have the most common name in the world and I've never had a problem, even before my CFP. I've had federal background checks before my CFP years ago, maybe that's my ticket. :hmmmm:
I'm told most delays are simply because NICS is overwhelmed. Then if there are multiple issues with a person that has your same: name, similar description etc... you get flagged for a hold. Meaning a algorithm isn't 100% sure you're not a bad guy and a human needs to take a closer look. :(

In AZ with my CCW I rarely spend over 10 minutes buying a gun. If it runs longer it's because myself and my FFL are swapping tall tales about giant fish..etc

The CCW permit was the best money I've spent in years! It's saved me many hours and unnecessary return trips to my dealer.

·
Registered
27,538 Posts
One possible cause for delay that you may not have considered is (are?) those security clearances you guys have. If the clearing agency flags your record so that they will be notified if NICS is accessed (for a criminal check, not a purchase check) the response is a delay until the clearing agency approves. That has caused hiccoughs for a number of people I know, especially after they retire.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
One possible cause for delay that you may not have considered is (are?) those security clearances you guys have. If the clearing agency flags your record so that they will be notified if NICS is accessed (for a criminal check, not a purchase check) the response is a delay until the clearing agency approves. That has caused hiccoughs for a number of people I know, especially after they retire.
That is one of the reasons I was given in one of my numerous calls ............the system is certainly not perfect

1 - 20 of 62 Posts