Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I don't have a slim, but I carry HST 124grn in my PM9

However, "the best" has the number one priority being something that is reliable in your specific gun, so you'll have to gather a few of "the best" and try them out.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I carry a Keltec PF9 which is a similar platform. A bullet that forces jacket expansion like the Corbon PowRball or Hornady Critical Defense is always a good choice when using a short barreled gun. However, most hollowpoint designs have improved so much now that you should get good to great performance from almost all of them.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Federal 124gr HST rounds won the contest for best defense rounds through a 3 inch barrel as per Shootingthebull`s extensive tests. probably find the vid in the forum.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
The best one is the one that will function in your gun without any stoppage! It does not matter what brand it is, it all goes bang and makes a hole in the BG.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Federal 124gr HST rounds won the contest for best defense rounds through a 3 inch barrel as per Shootingthebull`s extensive tests. probably find the vid in the forum.
Sweet, I was not even aware of that.

The Gold Dot Short Barrel looks promising and worth a look.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I have too many 9s and like any other caliber no one can tell you, even if the own an identical pistol, what brand your gun will shoot most accurately. Even bullet weight is hard to predict. After the obvious "reliability", accuracy is my next criterion and since I like to shoot, and can right at home anytime, I let each gun pick it's own "favorite" since I think all of the modern SD ammo is pretty darned good. As a result I have guns with Hornaday Critical Defense, and Critical Duty, Winchester Silvertips, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Black Talon (from my old stash), loaded in their respective mags.

I would say, if the expense of trying everything under the sun is a bit over budget, set a "standard" you will be happy with and stop trying when you find an ammo that meets it. You can always try something new now and then in hopes of finding a "magic" combination while you are prepared to work within the standard you set.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like HST, but if you're actually testing the round for each handgun it can get kind of expensive. It always makes me laugh when people run half a 20 box through their carry gun and call it a day. I'd say 50 rounds is bare minimum on testing your self defense rounds for functionality.

Also HSTs are kinda hard to find in some places because of how awesome they are. Everybody and their mamma wants to run HST.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found some hst, but have not ran it through my guns........its hard to find. So I am just trusting it until I get more.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I like HST, but if you're actually testing the round for each handgun it can get kind of expensive. It always makes me laugh when people run half a 20 box through their carry gun and call it a day. I'd say 50 rounds is bare minimum on testing your self defense rounds for functionality.

Also HSTs are kinda hard to find in some places because of how awesome they are. Everybody and their mamma wants to run HST.
That's just one more benefit from being a reloader!
Now all projectiles are not available as projectiles only but 99.9% are.
so you can load and test to your hearts content.
figure about a 50% savings at least on factory self defense ammo prices.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Don't buy boxes of 20, I get my carry ammo from SGAMMO. Boxes of 50 (HST, Gold Dots, Rangers, etc) are ~$28. I put a box through a gun before I feel comfortable carrying, then I put a mag through it every range trip.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
I'm currently carrying the Federal Personal Defense 9mm 135 grn Hydra-Shok JHP ammunition in my PT111, PT709, and SAR K2P and recommend it.
As with any ammunition, test it for function in your particular handgun before trusting it for carry.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 124 gr HST non plus P is very reliable, in my 709.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Federal 124gr HST runs like a dream in my PT111 G2. Give it a run and if it works in your gun it will for sure do the job to the bad guy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts