Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

back in February I bought my pt111 g2. About 350 shots in, I'm loving this gun. It's been great with any full metal jacket stuff(Blazer steel, Independence brass, Federal 115gr, Winchester white box).

But now as I am waiting for my CCW application to be processed, I'm now working on finding some reliable self defense rounds. Ive tried Remington Golden Sabers and Hornady Critical Defense, and both don't feed reliably. Does anyone have a hollow point ammo that they've been successful with for the PT111 G2?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Speer Gold Dot, Federal hydrashok and HST, Golden Saber and Critical Duty all feed reliably for me. Im currently using Ranger T in mine though.

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
All the current crop of premium brands work about the same on the street and in the PT-111.

Whichever you decide on should be based on how well you shoot it in your particular gun and that your choice is 100% reliable in your gun. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

I put Hornady Critical Defense in my wife's PT111.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely happy with it so far, and am continuing to improve on accuracy with it. Another angle I've seen is that 124 grain is actually more accurate than 115 grain in the PT111 G2. Has anyone else found that to be true?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Unfortunately ive only been able to put one box of 124 grain through mine.....all I can find is 115 grain and that is when i can find 9mm at all..........I cant say the 50 rounds of 124 was any more accurate as it was the first 50 rounds I put through the gun ......i will say that the first round fired was a bulls-eye....after that i chased it all over the paper.. :)

at this point i probably have approx. 300 rounds through it with nary a hiccup.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've not been able to replicate your FTF with my G2. I've shot Critical Defense more than any other PD round through it (if you count the box of Zombie Max I put through for giggs). A box of Hyrda-Shok and Speer Gold Dot all went through reliably.

Don't take it personally, but make sure you are keeping your wrist firm when shooting SD ammo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback Felix. I will give the Critical Defense another try and also will work on tightening up wrist. Good thing to keep in mind.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I use WWB Personal Protection Series JHP 147 gr. 9mm and 180 gr. .40S&W - they both feed well in all my pistols, are relatively inexpensive sub $30 for 50 rds. (are use to be before panic set in).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Remington UMC 115gr works really well in mine.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Winchester Black Talon ammo works great in my G2.

(As does Hornady's Critical Defense and Duty Defense, and Remington Golden Saber ammo).

Attachments

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
913 Posts
How old is that Black Talon box? Didn't they quite selling that sometime last millennium? :)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
How old is that Black Talon box? Didn't they quite selling that sometime last millennium? :)

I do believe they did. ;) (wink, wink)

I've kept them around for, lo, these many years until I could come into possession of a 9mm pistol that was worthy of carrying them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
THAT'S how you beat the ammo rush!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I honestly agree to everything in the threads. I purchased my pt111 about 2 months ago and i love it. My choice of Ammo is 124gr. Hornady HydraShok. Feeds perfectly with no FTF or FTE. Eats those things up like burgers. I love the 6lb trigger pull which is quite crisp. And the reset is also amazing. Just oredered a pt140 chambered in 40 sw in stainless steel. The pt111 is going to be my wifes every CC weapon and ill be making pt140 mine. Ive also tried TulAmmo steel cased ammo which feeds perfectly. Also have tried winchester white box aas well as Remington JHP 115 gr. ALL FEED HONEST.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts